2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I mean from 2008 onwards I argue that the headliners they booked went up a notch. If you look at the big bookings over the past few years they’ve really made way through the list of acts who have never done it.

Beyonce, Bruce Springsteen, Lady Gaga,   U2, Stevie Wonder, The Rolling Stones, Dolly Parton, Kanye West, Adele, Katy Perry, Ed Sheeran, Barry Gib, Kylie Minogue and booking acts like Taylor Swift and Kendrick. Some of these acts are among the list of the most well known artists of all time. People buy their Glasto ticket now anticipating big names on the bill. 

All those bloody oldies like Stevie Wonder. Stevie who? Am I right? Emily and Co should have moved on. Kesha had just dropped Tik Tok when Stevie Wonder headlined, missed a trick.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Out of interest, I think 2008 was the only year that we’d consider recent that didn’t sell out.

For those who were there, was it lineup related, financial crash related? Or the rain of 2007 doomed the following year?

I’m intrigued to know what caused that to happen because I’ve seen conflicting views and probably a bit of historical revisionism. 

You can’t say the lineup was weak. They had bloody Amy Whinehouse on the pyramid. That looks nuts in retrospect.

2008 was the only year I haven’t been since I first went in 04.

In 2007 we went with a huge group, probably 30+, but many were first timers and I suspect the abject weather put many of them off. Few have returned since. For me and the rest of my mates there wasn’t the same hunger to go as previous years, we had been to three in a row and had been to Bennicassim in 06 and we were discussing sacking off Glasto and going either on a holiday or a foreign festival. As the festival drew closer and it hadn’t sold out I pushed my lot to go but nobody was really feeling it.

As a compromise (and to shut me up) we ended up going to see Radiohead at Old Trafford Cricket Ground in Manchester, where Thom and the lads put on one of the greatest sets I’ve seen from any band, I mean look at this for a setlist!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2008/old-trafford-cricket-ground-manchester-england-13d6bdcd.html

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Still chicken feed compared to the glorious 1,000 page rollercoaster that was the 2015 thread.

2015 we honest lost the plot. But who would have guessed the Who would cancel a gig to headline? I can’t actually remember who we thought it was going to be before the Who news.

37 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

How much, if any, do people think social media coming along and a kind of FOMO attitude rearing it’s head had to do with things suddenly going mental 2011-ish onwards? By that I mean things just seem to get so much more hyped with things like instagram than they used to. People almost seem to ‘need’ to be somewhere because it’s popular and it kind of snowballs. I appreciate there are many other factors and I don’t think I’ve explained myself that well, but hopefully you get what I mean.

Yeah somewhat. I’d say between social media and a more extensive coverage/hype across the bbc’s platforms nowadays, the ’marketing’ if you like is much louder.

But the product still has to be something people want to buy.

So i’d say it has more to do with the luck we’ve had with weather in recent years making the broadcast/socials look 🔥 as the kids say..

Then the demise of v-festival, the shift more towards mainstream chart music and the expansion of glamping/off site options have all all of reduced the kind of ’mental barriers to entry’ to deciding to give it a go for a very different type of punter to the more rugged population of the days of yore.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Think so, there was a lot of hope they’d be drafted in when the Foos dropped out.

It’s quite telling that Glasto had two vacant headline slots (when Prince went) and when Foos went and Blur weren’t drafted in at all.

The band must have let the festival know that they weren’t interested in doing it that year.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s quite telling that Glasto had two vacant headline slots (when Prince went) and when Foos went and Blur weren’t drafted in at all.

The band must have let the festival know that they weren’t interested in doing it that year.

IIRC they were reluctant to come back so soon after the 2009 set.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

How much, if any, do people think social media coming along and a kind of FOMO attitude rearing it’s head had to do with things suddenly going mental 2011-ish onwards? By that I mean things just seem to get so much more hyped with things like instagram than they used to. People almost seem to ‘need’ to be somewhere because it’s popular and it kind of snowballs. I appreciate there are many other factors and I don’t think I’ve explained myself that well, but hopefully you get what I mean.

1 million percent.

Just now, NoBuses said:

What was betting slip-gate?

Some guy turned up claiming that the Stone Roses were going to play and had ITK info to back it up.

He provided a picture of a betting slip showing a £50 bet on the Roses, which our sleuths worked out had been photoshopped and was fake. The guy claimed his info came from famous radio DJ ‘Bob Harrison’.

He was great.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Yes. Much worse.

It just rained for five days straight with no let up whatsoever.

4 days - the Wednesday was actually pretty nice.

But yeah, overall it's not even close. The weather in 2016 wasn't even that bad during the festival, it was the flood a week before gates opened that screwed the ground and it never recovered.

• Upvote 1