2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Has it been noted that the Daily Star ran the same story about Harry Styles being set to play Glastonbury in 2020, before he put North America tour dates through the weekend?

Not gonna believe it. None of it adds up. Pas de tir, as the French would say.

Also worth noting that the Daily Mail ran an article 4 days ago called ‘Harry Styles ‘set to perform at Glastonbury for the first time’’.  

The following day the piece was changed to ‘Harry Styles is dogged by rumours he’s set to perform at Glastonbury 2022 for the first time’ 

Unlike the Star, the Mail poured some cold water on the idea: 

‘A source told Mailonline: 'Harry does have a gap in his schedule from touring around that time but he's not thought to have signed up to perform at this point.'

So maybe not the certainty we thought?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10456967/amp/Harry-Styles-set-perform-Glastonbury-2022-time-headlining-Coachella.html?ico=amp_dontMiss

Edited by henry bear

26 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Also worth noting that the Daily Mail ran an article 4 days ago called ‘Harry Styles ‘set to perform at Glastonbury for the first time’’.  

The following day the piece was changed to ‘Harry Styles is dogged by rumours he’s set to perform at Glastonbury 2022 for the first time’ 

‘A source told Mailonline: 'Harry does have a gap in his schedule from touring around that time but he's not thought to have signed up to perform at this point.'

So maybe not the certainty we thought?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10456967/amp/Harry-Styles-set-perform-Glastonbury-2022-time-headlining-Coachella.html?ico=amp_dontMiss

I saw that the Daily Mail ran the story quoting the Star as the source, but I didn't realise it had since backtracked. Seems like total bullshit then. 

Back to Billie Eilish, Paul McCartney, Kendrick Lamar then...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/bizarre/17533024/harry-styles-music-video-london/

Harry Styles has been filming the video for the lead single off his third album, so it can't be too far off. Possible summer release?

This makes him more likely, surely? Big promotional opportunity, Glastonbury.

Edited by ProperTea

1 minute ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I can’t rationalise Harry Styles as a Glastonbury headliner at this stage of his career. I just can’t. 

My big hope is that his team are putting the rumours out there to hype his forthcoming album.

He's bigger than Stormzy in the UK currently let alone when he headlined and way bigger world wide, without a 3rd album. He has 2 songs on Spotify above 1 billion, both of his latest album. With a single off his first at 900k. 2 night's at Wembley stadium. He could headline without a 3rd album.

I’m well up for acts headlining that people don’t deem ‘ready’ because it adds an element of excitement to it all, but my god Harry Styles does not seem like a glasto headliner to me. If he’s in that spot it surely must be because absolutely nobody else is available. What a shame it’d be to go from Kendrick Lamar to him!

Still, there’s not many greater things about festivals than an act who’s deemed not ready to headline turning up and absolutely smashing it out the park. 

3 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I can’t rationalise Harry Styles as a Glastonbury headliner at this stage of his career. I just can’t. 

My big hope is that his team are putting the rumours out there to hype his forthcoming album.

It does sound mental doesn’t it, but he’s much deeper into his career than Billie and widely liked in Britain by a big cross section (purists here excluded). I’m fairly convinced by the Harry rumours. 

57 minutes ago, henry bear said:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/harry-styles-rumoured-headlining-glastonbury-26110143

It actually seems like The Star has also backtracked. No 'source' info there anymore, just says fans believe that he's playing because of the tour dates.

15 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

right drummer, wrong band.... 

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/harry-styles-rumoured-headlining-glastonbury-26110143

It actually seems like The Star has also backtracked. No 'source' info there anymore, just says fans believe that he's playing because of the tour dates.

Huh it says source in the fourth par for me?

25A6C5B3-630B-4AFC-B2B0-8505B336239D.png

Isn't there sort of unwritten Glasto rule where if you become big off the back of a contrived primetime "talent" show then Glasto just isn't for you? I remember James Arthur banging on about "Glasto snobbery" a few years back because he was butt hurt he has never asked to play despite his chart success. I'm pretty sure a good chunk of Harry's set is One Direction hits and although they were internationally huge, it's still X Factor sh*te. Maybe there's exceptions who have played in previous years who I can't think of?

Edited by jamesh992

Just now, the wonderwhy said:

Huh it says source in the fourth par for me?

25A6C5B3-630B-4AFC-B2B0-8505B336239D.png

Wait is that all it initially said?

It doesn't seem to say that a source says he's playing, just that a source said he was 'considered' in 2020 but it didn't pan out (which isn't what they said about 2020 before) and now 'all the festivals' want him (Coachella got him as the 99th choice, only festival this year so far), adding that there's a gap which would allow him to play.

It's a dogshit rumour. If we had anything else to go on, we'd put that straight in the bin.

3 minutes ago, jamesh992 said:

Isn't there sort of unwritten Glasto rule where if you become big off the back of a contrived primetime "talent" show then Glasto just isn't for you? I remember James Arthur banging on about "Glasto snobbery" a few years back because he was butt hurt he has never asked to play despite his chart success. I'm pretty sure a good chunk of Harry's set is One Direction hits and although they were internationally huge, it's still X Factor sh*te. Maybe there's exceptions who have played in previous years who I can't think of?

Will Young has played a few times I think. Lucy Spraggan as well. Not headliners, mind.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Wait is that all it initially said?

It doesn't seem to say that a source says he's playing, just that a source said he was 'considered' in 2020 but it didn't pan out (which isn't what they said about 2020 before) and now 'all the festivals' want him (Coachella got him as the 99th choice, only festival this year so far), adding that there's a gap which would allow him to play.

It's a dogshit rumour. If we had anything else to go on, we'd put that straight in the bin.

No idea literally the first time I’ve read it for myself. 

7 minutes ago, jamesh992 said:

Pretty sure Harry only played one One Direction song on his last tour (and rightfully so because it’s an absolute belter) and as much as some might hate to admit it, he’s far outgrown being ‘that guy from One Direction’. He’s massive worldwide and, even if they’re not the greatest things ever, his two albums have been huge hits and shown a desire to move to a more mature sound (and there’s plenty of bangers there, too).

I don’t think he’s gonna be headlining, but if the festival was in a quandary with headliners backing out then maybe they’d need to look to somebody like him instead. 

• Upvote 1

There’s no point trying to look at precedent for talent show contestants playing Glastonbury as Harry Styles is 10x more of a cultural phenomenon than any previous act of that nature. If they were able to get him in a non-headline slot they wouldn’t think twice, and it would go down amazingly.

Even as a headliner I could see him being booked but not this year because of his dates (unless Billie Eilish banjaxes her tour).