U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

Just now, steviewevie said:

Only 10 republicans voted for the impeachment...not really moving on are they?

I'm surprised it was that many. They're just keeping their heads down while he's still in power, knowing that the Impeachment would go ahead with or without their vote.

These are going to be a very nervy 7 days in the US. He still has an army of fanatical supporters as well as some power in the white house. 

Best case he just fucks off to Florida and plays golf for the next week. The trouble is that we know he’s a very petty man and I can’t see him leaving quietly. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

Only 10 republicans voted for the impeachment...not really moving on are they?

It's possible that plenty of them wanted him impeached, but wouldn't have to put their neck on the line for it to happen, because it was always going to go through on Democrat numbers.

Hopefully, they'll be able to pick up more Republican votes in the Senate.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

I'm surprised it was that many. They're just keeping their heads down while he's still in power, knowing that the Impeachment would go ahead with or without their vote.

They know many republicans voters still support Trump, think the election was rigged, and probably supported the rioters storming the capitol the other day.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

So this doesn’t stop him doing what he was gonna do it the last week ... his powers remain ? 

Yes.

But one difference will be if he pardons himself, Giuliani and his kids now, it will be seen as an admission of guilt, which will not help his prospects. And beyond impeachment, there may be criminal charges along the same lines. The pardons are only for federal crimes, so Washington DC could prosecute him at a state level of inciting violence for example.

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

These are going to be a very nervy 7 days in the US. He still has an army of fanatical supporters as well as some power in the white house. 

Yes, and it looks like he's just trying to fuck shit up for Biden. He's already causing problems with China with regards to Taiwan, but I'm most worried about the recent increase in trouble between Israel and Iran. The idea of Trump starting a war with Iran days before leaving office should seem impossible, but then the events of last Wednesday would have seemed outrageous on Tuesday.

39 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Do you reckon he’ll be convicted in the Senate?

his statement says he will listen to the evidence presented in the trial. but thats not gonna mean much, mitch will look for what he needs in the future. everyone that thinks theyve turned a new leaf needs to understand that some of these people are playing the long game. Its his last term anyway and he shaped the court system into his vision and thats his legacy. if he wants to appear that he helped america, then he convicts. And how surprising is it that his name doesnt appear connected to anything at all in  this, everyone else that needs to be loyal to maga is doing it.  He was able to make all senators but one to stand down from the objections last week, wont be hard to do so during the trial. ill say this, the fbi is going to have a mountain of evidence on the table and its up to the members to make it stick. And of course giuliani giving arguments will be pure gold.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's possible that plenty of them wanted him impeached, but wouldn't have to put their neck on the line for it to happen, because it was always going to go through on Democrat numbers.

Hopefully, they'll be able to pick up more Republican votes in the Senate.

One Republican actually stated that he wanted to vote to impeach but he will vote against it inline with the people he represents. 

There was also another 4 Republicans who abstained. 

I might be very wrong in hindsight, but I think Trump will lay low for a bit now. The cultists may well do something, but Trump has called for no violence and I think there’s a decent chance he heads to Florida and lays low for the next week. 

The pardon trick probably won’t work ultimately since a judge could still rule that a president cannot pardon himself if he ever is brought to trial, and as noted it doesn’t protect him from state trials. If he does anything else stupid in the next week, it may well tip the number of rebel Republicans over the edge for the senate vote and he could end up in a real mess. His best bet would be to stay quiet for the next few weeks until the senate trial is over, hope he gets through that, then start up the Maga machine again for 2024.

Edited by jparx

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

I might be very wrong in hindsight, but I think Trump will lay low for a bit now. The cultists may well do something, but Trump has called for no violence and I think there’s a decent chance he heads to Florida and lays low for the next week. 

The pardon trick probably won’t work ultimately since a judge could still rule that a president cannot pardon himself if he ever is brought to trial, and as noted it doesn’t protect him from state trials. If he does anything else stupid in the next week, it may well tip the number of rebel Republicans over the edge for the senate vote and he could end up in a real mess. His best bet would be to stay quiet for the next few weeks until the senate trial is over, hope he gets through that, then start up the Maga machine again for 2024.

His best bet might be to stay quiet, but since when did Trump take what was obviously his best next move?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

Every time I think trump will back down he doesn’t. Even when you think “surely he’s going to pull back a bit now?”

I think there’s a bigger problem here though. Every time he goes public he calls the election a fraud or uses divisive lies. Until he stops doing that I can’t see this issue dying down.

Is it possible for him to run next as an independent? Him and his family are very hateful and I think they might try and get one back on the republicans with this.

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

There will be no Trump 2024. 

Even if legally he’s allowed to run I doubt he’s going to be in any state to mount a campaign. 

He’s ageing, addicted to drugs, obese, has huge debts owing to German banks. 

Then you have all the other criminal cases that have been put on hold while he has been president. 

If he stays in America he is going to be spending most of the next 4 years in court cases and thats if his health allows him to do that. 

The main worry is what happens to the MAGA cultists? Who do they follow next. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Has he published his video response yet? Kattie on the BBC said it would be shortly after the result...

Gotta make sure they get the right take and camera angles.

the statement from this morning saying to not cause violence and such is all youll hear for a bit. this weekend is going to get raucous though. Those planned marches and such will happen.

A self pardon will not even happen because he has had legal experts tell him that its an admission of guilt and that he would be open to civil suits which could keep him in court for years.

Edited by Suprefan

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

His best bet might be to stay quiet, but since when did Trump take what was obviously his best next move?

Yeah it does seem counterintuitive based on evidence from the last four years, but I think there’s a chance the very real prospect of being in jail and barred from running for president might have dawned on him. Who knows, we might get a mental statement later tonight, but my hunch is he might actually keep it shut!

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve not managed to find a news link of his speech that’s available in Europe but someones uploaded it to YouTube. 

I’m not sure who this is but it’s not the same Trump that’s been spouting nonsense for years. 

Thats cause it was written by somebody else thats trying to make it seem that he is sane. 

Well zello.

NEW: Rudy Giuliani claims FBI is wrong, and antifa is behind the "key violence" at the Capitol (including propping up Air Force vet Ashli Babbitt before she was shot), and that he has evidence, coming from MAGA infiltrators, that he plans to give to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Giuliani also insists: "I'm not crazy"

I think he's cracked it!