What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

3 episodes into This England - it's bought back memories of the events, some of which I had forgotten, which is certainly eye opening looking back on it but as a drama I'm just finding it a bit...boring. I think I would prefer it to be in some form of (critical) documentary format based on the facts rather than a quasi-documentary/ drama entertainment hybrid which blurs the lines between fact and fiction, yet we all know the storyline in advance. 

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

There's a tragic subset of lonely misfits out there who're furious whenever the cultural dominance of white men is swapped out for people of colour (in this case green), or of another or no gender. They'll attempt to dominate social media and review bomb the project in question, to highlight how awful it is that the most culturally dominant group in society is under existential threat because of this one project.

I mean I just don't think it's all that good. 

Quite liked the sound of it when I first heard about it but it's not really worked for me. 

33 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I mean I just don't think it's all that good. 

Quite liked the sound of it when I first heard about it but it's not really worked for me. 

Oh, I didn’t mean everyone who dislikes it falls into that category. But those people do exist. 

House of the Dragon certainly turned up the ooof factor this week. I’m going to have to read the book it’s based from though, the time jumps are getting me a little confused about who is who half of the time. 

Need to catch up on rings of power, missed a few but not got the time to sit down for long. Same with Andor but I’ll probably end up binging it all in one go. 

9 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

House of the Dragon certainly turned up the ooof factor this week. I’m going to have to read the book it’s based from though, the time jumps are getting me a little confused about who is who half of the time. 

Was talking to somebody who had read the books and apparently what has happened so far/what the first season is covering is basically just the introduction of the story and setting up the pieces for the real story ahead which I found surprising. Guess with it being a single book rather than multiple they’ve had to really stretch out what content they have.

Agree on the time jumps though. They were somewhat jarring despite me already being aware that they were coming and the casting being pretty spot on in most cases. 

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Was talking to somebody who had read the books and apparently what has happened so far/what the first season is covering is basically just the introduction of the story and setting up the pieces for the real story ahead which I found surprising. Guess with it being a single book rather than multiple they’ve had to really stretch out what content they have.

Agree on the time jumps though. They were somewhat jarring despite me already being aware that they were coming and the casting being pretty spot on in most cases. 

I've seen it said the series starts halfway through the book as well. I never read it, nor knew of its existence until a few weeks ago (despite having read A Song of Ice and Fire way back).

Does anyone know if the tv show plan is to tell the story all the way to the end of the house, with Jaime Lannister killing the Mad King?

On 10/4/2022 at 10:06 PM, Ryan1984 said:

What’s the general consensus on She-Hulk? I’m enjoying it - half-hour sitcom style and she’s a star.

I'm in and out on it, but find I always want to watch it (unlike Loki and Moon Knight). The format works and is reminiscent of 90s comics, with something different every week. Hopefully this is the format Daredevil takes, with court cases for Matt and a stream of new baddies every week for Daredevil.

Interesting to note that this is 9 episodes, Andor is 12, and Daredevil will be 18. I think we're slowly getting back to old fashioned network television production orders.

Started The Midnight Book Club, just because Mike Flanagan rules. Even if he hasn't reached the brilliance of The house on haunted hill since and I'm not sure he will with that one. Just the first episode so he can still convince me...

And i love Los Espookies, if you like a bit of absurd and need a break from British/American shows.

Edited by moogster

23 hours ago, moogster said:

Started The Midnight Book Club, just because Mike Flanagan rules. Even if he hasn't reached the brilliance of The house on haunted hill since and I'm not sure he will with that one. Just the first episode so he can still convince me...

And i love Los Espookies, if you like a bit of absurd and need a break from British/American shows.

Is this in Spanish? I have been trying to learn Spanish via Duolingo for nearly 300 days now so would be good to watch a Spanish show and see how much I understand or don't as the case may be! They speak very quickly in my defence!!

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Is this in Spanish? I have been trying to learn Spanish via Duolingo for nearly 300 days now so would be good to watch a Spanish show and see how much I understand or don't as the case may be! They speak very quickly in my defence!!

Just watch Casa de papel. You'll learn all the curse words in no time, and the show is great as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, clasher said:

Just watch Casa de papel. You'll learn all the curse words in no time, and the show is great as well.

Now that's the kind of content Duolingo is missing so I am absolutely up for that! We get Netflix back at the end of the month for the Winter so will add that one to my watchlist. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Now that's the kind of content Duolingo is missing so I am absolutely up for that! We get Netflix back at the end of the month for the Winter so will add that one to my watchlist. 

El Jardín de Bronce is another great spanish speaking show. It's on HBO I think. It's Argentinian though, so you'll be able to observe the nuances of south american accent. Or, you know, not understand it 😂

26 minutes ago, clasher said:

El Jardín de Bronce is another great spanish speaking show. It's on HBO I think. It's Argentinian though, so you'll be able to observe the nuances of south american accent. Or, you know, not understand it 😂

Duolingo is actually a mix of Spanish and LATAM Spanish so I equally don't understand both of them 😄 

8 hours ago, gigpusher said:

It is except for about the random scene in English. Nice to work on your Latam    vocab and accent too. (It's on HBO).

Catching uo on House of Dragons and I have to say i am liking the time jump to adults! Which i believe may not be the most popular opinion.

Edited by moogster
  • Like 1

Just now, kalifire said:

Saw the first episode of The Bear, which many reviewers are raving about. Personally found it exhausting. Half an hour of people shouting at each other without much as a pause for breath. Like a poundshop Uncut Gems. I hope it improves.

I think it does improve. The shouting does come back but not in all episodes. I'd say try two more episodes.

• Thanks 1