What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I liked it too. I mean, the whole ‘fuck your expectations’ aspect was incredibly apparent and fucked over whoever took the helm for the third film, but that removed, it was great. 

Rise of Skywalker on the other hand is awful, and possibly worse than any of the prequels.

Yeah I agree with that. I understand why people hate TLJ as well it just so happens I was a fan of the ways they went (I was really hoping Rey's parents were nobodies and its a big bone of contention for others) and the fight in that red room might be my favourite in the series. I wish they'd gone one further and she and Kylo had paired up in the end really. 

RoS yeah is prequel level bad. Aspects of the prequels has been helped by the tv stuff so I wonder if they'll be able to salvage anything from it, its a really poor film though.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I liked it too. I mean, the whole ‘fuck your expectations’ aspect was incredibly apparent and fucked over whoever took the helm for the third film, but that removed, it was great. 

Rise of Skywalker on the other hand is awful, and possibly worse than any of the prequels.

I rewatched the prequels over Christmas.

It's really not. 

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I rewatched the prequels over Christmas.

It's really not. 

I’m in the middle of watching all the Star Wars films also and although the prequels are hammy as shit, at least they have an overarching story throughout.

TROS is just badly made and the whole villain reveal and everything to do with it is horrible. Them not just sticking with Kylo as the bad guy was such a mistake imo, especially as Adam Driver was holding that whole trilogy on his shoulders from the get-go. 

19 minutes ago, Smeble said:

The ensign becoming first officer is the least of the stupid things wrong with the show. It’s basically the worst trashy US soap opera set in space. It’s Star Trek for non Star Trek people. I just can’t get past all the crying and complete lack of professionalism in the crew, imagine if Picard had to demote Riker and then they had a little cry about it🙄🙄🙄 vile agenda driven nonsense.

Star Trek has never really been professionalism though, the crew have always gone off for personal reasons with lots of melodrama, there's plenty of memes about it. I think it does a better job of what the recent Chris Pine movies did of being Star Trek by having ideals even in the face of adversity imo.

Vile agenda? I take it you're complaining about a diverse cast which is a very Star Treky thing from the original.

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Yeah I agree with that. I understand why people hate TLJ as well it just so happens I was a fan of the ways they went (I was really hoping Rey's parents were nobodies and its a big bone of contention for others) and the fight in that red room might be my favourite in the series. I wish they'd gone one further and she and Kylo had paired up in the end really. 

RoS yeah is prequel level bad. Aspects of the prequels has been helped by the tv stuff so I wonder if they'll be able to salvage anything from it, its a really poor film though.

I thought The Last Jedi was legit brilliant, I really don't understand the hate for it but I don't like what they did with Finn. He went from the co-main lead to a supporting character and his fight with the Sparkly Stormtrooper should have felt more important as that should have been a huge arc.

3 minutes ago, jump said:

I thought The Last Jedi was legit brilliant, I really don't understand the hate for it but I don't like what they did with Finn. He went from the co-main lead to a supporting character and his fight with the Sparkly Stormtrooper should have felt more important as that should have been a huge arc.

Finn and what they did with him is my biggest dislike of TLJ. Former stormtrooper turned good guy is such an interesting character trait and they absolutely fucked it, or more precisely just decided to ignore it all together.

31 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I loved The Last Jedi, but my childhood was the prequel trilogy and thus already a giant dump.

I rewatched episode 1 for the first time in donkeys years and it’s even worse than I remember, truely awful.

Rogue One is the only film since ROTJ to capture the vibe of the original trilogy, the only thing that lets it down was the decision not to use ‘Star Wars’ music, the soundtrack feels a bit ‘ we couldn’t afford the rights so we made our own soundalike music’

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

Rogue One is the only film since ROTJ to capture the vibe of the original trilogy, the only thing that lets it down was the decision not to use ‘Star Wars’ music, the soundtrack feels a bit ‘ we couldn’t afford the rights so we made our own soundalike music’

I didn’t like Rogue One when I saw it in the cinema but watched it again over the weekend and it was much better than I remember, and even the CGI Tarkin and Leia weren’t as jarring this time around, although Leia still looks pretty weird.

5 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I rewatched episode 1 for the first time in donkeys years and it’s even worse than I remember, truely awful.

I liked Force Awakens although it ended up a bit of a broken promise. I think Rogue One is overrated and Solo underrated (with R1 still being better). 

Its much easier talking about all of this post-mandalorian now we've all got something we can mostly agree is good ahah.

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Finn and what they did with him is my biggest dislike of TLJ. Former stormtrooper turned good guy is such an interesting character trait and they absolutely fucked it, or more precisely just decided to ignore it all together.

the trilogy should have been based around Finn, the only vaguely interesting character in the trilogy, but agendas behind the scenes did for him.

I find it hard  to understand Star Wars fans who say they don’t like Rogue one, it’s like the ultimate love letter to the fans, every frame just screams old school SW, we got epic battle scenes, great shots of ships coming out of hyperspace, badass Vader, a good female lead character and  a loving farewell to Leia. What’s not to like? 

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

ahah I gave up on the wire in season 2 and couldn't stop watching The Sopranos.

(it was years ago I stopped watching The Wire and have been meaning to go back but that was a few years ago now)

One of my other out of sync with the majority opinions is that the 2nd series of The Wire is the best one.

There's also that the big reveal at the end of Mandolorian really pissed me off. I know it made sense but I just wanted something different (hard to explain spoiler free).

It's all horses for courses.  Sci-fi fandom does tend to get a bit overexcited about some of this stuff.

FWIW I enjoyed the sequels more than the prequels for various reasons.  Everything had a bit more of a hand-made physical feel to it than the CGI in the prequels (think they went back to using a lot of physical models?). Personally I liked some of the swerves they gave us in the storylines. And the big finale battle was hella cool.

Obv not perfect.  FA was a rehash of New Hope, but it worked for me to get fans back on board. The whole middle chunk of TLJ didn't make a bean of sense and didn't really work, although I get what they were trying to do in terms of the wider picture. The Snoke thing was a bit rubbish. And yeah, Finn deserved way more as a character.

But then you can go back over the originals and pick holes in them until they look like the moths have been at them.  Massive rose-tinted nostalgia for them but if you look closely...yeah.

The main things that killed the prequels were being overly CGI heavy so that nothing looked remotely real, and some piss poor writing and acting for some of the main characters. But they did give us Ewan McGregor and lots of Ian McDiarmid.

Rogue One is great. Solo was better on a second watch but still meh.

Clone Wars animation is great.

It's all escapist nonsense, best not to overthink it 🙂

12 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

One of my other out of sync with the majority opinions is that the 2nd series of The Wire is the best one.

There's also that the big reveal at the end of Mandolorian really pissed me off. I know it made sense but I just wanted something different (hard to explain spoiler free).

The Wire is one of my favourite ever series but the second season is tarnished by Ziggy... the most annoying character in anything ever which is quite a title to hold.

35 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

The Wire is one of my favourite ever series but the second season is tarnished by Ziggy... the most annoying character in anything ever which is quite a title to hold.

Ziggy is bloody annoying but I think he had to be,  you are supposed to be annoyed by him all the time.  when I watched Generation kill (another David Simon series) the actor who plays Ziggy is one of the main characters and I didn't think I could get past it.  but in the end he was amazing.

32 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I see a Ziggy vs. Jar Jar debate...

Funnily enough I remember reading an interview with him in the Observer in which the actor who played Ziggy mentions Jar Jar:

James Ransone: Hey, I saw you retweeted something about Ziggy being the JarJar Binks of The Wire. And now you want to interview me? That’s a little harsh.

Observer: The character that actually comes to mind is Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

In Ziggys defence I had forgotten about Joffrey... now he was an annoying c**t.

1 minute ago, Bennykill said:

Ziggy is bloody annoying but I think he had to be,  you are supposed to be annoyed by him all the time.  when I watched Generation kill (another David Simon series) the actor who plays Ziggy is one of the main characters and I didn't think I could get past it.  but in the end he was amazing.

Yeah, I do agree though I have actively avoided things with him in in the past...should give the actor the benefit of the doubt though so will give generation kill a try tonight, 

I watched One Night in Miami on Amazon the other night. It's a slow burner but enjoyable with some great performances from the four main protagonists. It's a fictional tale of Cassius Clay, Malcom X, Sam Cooke and Jim Brown meeting up at the height of the civil rights movement amidst turmoil within the Nation of Islam.