guypjfreak

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I was at my mum's in Hampshire when I became ill and started off in hospital there and in one in South London as well  which is why I needed to get back to bristol, I'm currently on my fifth hospital I've had quite a tour of the nhs.

OK, got you. My word you have been 'bounced' around though, haven't you. Pillar to post springs to mind. Still, you can't knock the NHS or it's staff. Well, you possibly could knock some of its staff, but I'll not go there. Still a great 'institute'.

So headed out on my walk early this morning up a quiet country road to find a security guard telling me the road is closed all day due to filming . Cheeky bastard he was. Seems they were filming scenes for an episode of Shetland. So when you watch it remember this is Ayrshire not bloody Shetland.  Anyway I took a detour over a field passed the guard to get up in the hills. 

EA94FB6F-DB1E-4609-9E1A-88038CFAF5CF.jpeg.bd4caf1dc5836983b87eae55dd04c24b.jpeg

I have some rather splendid news. as some of you are aware, me and my wife run an Airbnb type thingy. Anyway, i was away from home yesterday and only arrived back here this evening (by which i mean the evening of 1/7/21) . However, i had been told by my wife that the couple who are staying (ie last night and tonight) are simply her favourite guests so far because they are so lovely.

So, I get back here earlier last evening and the couple had invited us to have a drink with them. It is true what my wife says - they are a smashing lovely young (very much in love) couple. So we chat for a bit and then I found out that the lady is an efester.

See - efesters are bostin'.

• Upvote 1

72 hours ago I was laid on an operating table talking to a doc while another one was performing surgery on my brain. 

I’m now back home with my feet up and starting the recovery process to get back to normal. 

The NHS gets a lot of shit but they’ve done a fantastic job with me this week and you can’t ask for a better service especially that’s one that’s free at the point of use. I’d hate to know what bills I’d be facing if I was having my surgery in a different country. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 11

45 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

72 hours ago I was laid on an operating table talking to a doc while another one was performing surgery on my brain. 

I’m now back home with my feet up and starting the recovery process to get back to normal. 

The NHS gets a lot of shit but they’ve done a fantastic job with me this week and you can’t ask for a better service especially that’s one that’s free at the point of use. I’d hate to know what bills I’d be facing if I was having my surgery in a different country. 

Hope the recovery goes well!

5 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

No more up votes.. Its amazing what they can do.. Fair play and all the best old son 

Yesterday I got to see two of my best mates who I hadn't seen since Christmas 2019 as they live in London. In that time they have got married (I attended via Zoom) and had a baby! I didn't realise how much I missed them until I saw them and now feel a little emotional typing this!

However, seeing them gave my mental health a nice little boost. The combination of seeing people I missed, having a good old chat and laugh like old times and the feeling that things are actually getting back to some sense of normality. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/2/2021 at 9:15 AM, guypjfreak said:

Off to hospital to see dad.. Not looking good... 

Sorry to hear that. Sending positive thoughts your way

On 7/2/2021 at 10:42 AM, eFestivals said:

I can't count and I forgot to include the last week 12days left.

That's quite a stint. Hope you are feeling better and ready for the outside world!

On 7/2/2021 at 4:04 PM, squirrelarmy said:

Fantastic all the best with your recovery. I used to work in private medical insurance and our biggest complaint was people saying the bills were so expensive. We're so fortunate not to have to think about it although I sometime think giving people a bill that they don't have to pay just so they understand the cost might not be a bad thing. People don't value it because they don't understand it. 

3 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Yesterday I got to see two of my best mates who I hadn't seen since Christmas 2019 as they live in London. In that time they have got married (I attended via Zoom) and had a baby! I didn't realise how much I missed them until I saw them and now feel a little emotional typing this!

However, seeing them gave my mental health a nice little boost. The combination of seeing people I missed, having a good old chat and laugh like old times and the feeling that things are actually getting back to some sense of normality. 

Aw great news. Getting to do something just a little bit normal does make a big difference. We went out for lunch on Saturday and just having a meal without my dogs trying to steal it felt nice 😄 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I sometime think giving people a bill that they don't have to pay just so they understand the cost might not be a bad thing. People don't value it because they don't understand it. 

I think that is a great idea. I know when I see the vets bills my eyes pop out but then think, man if it was my family, people should understand the costs

2 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I think that is a great idea. I know when I see the vets bills my eyes pop out but then think, man if it was my family, people should understand the costs

Having plenty of experience of vets bills at the moment I know exactly how you feel. Some of the dogs medication is actually human medication. Been considering going to my GP and faking some symptoms so I can just pay the prescription cost rather than the cost of the drugs 😄 (in case anyone has a sense of humour bypass obviously I wouldn't do this!!) 

I think people would be less wasteful if they knew the cost. They are so many cases of people taking things they don't really need. Apparently a lot of older people just stop taking medication that disagrees with them but don't say anything to the doctor not realising that some of those drugs are hundreds of pounds. One of my friends is a practice nurse and one day over half her patients missed appointments. I like to think if people realised it was the equivalent of a £50 appointment that they wouldn't. 

My first (and so far only!) nephew was born end of September 2019. I met him a few weeks after he was born, and then saw him for a few days that December, and then not again until we had a week away on holiday last August. 

Since then I've only seen him on video call - often sharing the time between myself and three to seven other adult family members. Understandably, he doesn't quite yet know me very well. 

This last weekend I got to go down and visit my brother, sister-in-law and nephew. The little lad is just an absolute delight - a little whiny when hungry, but who isn't! My heart just about burst when by yesterday morning he was toddling over to me, hands raised in the "up!" motion, and he's just about getting out his version of "auntie".

I am just so excited that we're all going to be together again in just four weeks, at Center Parcs. And I'm soo glad that my brother is moving to the south-west, which will make it so much easier for me to drop in on them/see more family at the same time when I'm heading home that way anyway 💖

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Sorry to hear that. Sending positive thoughts your way

That's quite a stint. Hope you are feeling better and ready for the outside world!

I'm ready for the world.qustion is is it ready for me.

Fantastic all the best with your recovery. I used to work in private medical insurance and our biggest complaint was people saying the bills were so expensive. We're so fortunate not to have to think about it although I sometime think giving people a bill that they don't have to pay just so they understand the cost might not be a bad thing. People don't value it because they don't understand it. 

I know where I am now has been getting £600 a day from the nhs for me. I'd hate to hink what the full25weeks has cost.vth hundred mil trip n an ambulance back to Bristol wouldn't have been cheap.

Aw great news. Getting to do something just a little bit normal does make a big difference. We went out for lunch on Saturday and just having a meal without my dogs trying to steal it felt nice 😄 

54 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm ready for the world.qustion is is it ready for me.

I know where I am now has been getting £600 a day from the nhs for me. I'd hate to hink what the full25weeks has cost.vth hundred mil trip n an ambulance back to Bristol wouldn't have been cheap.

😄 I'm sure we are!

Yes I just think having worked (on the admin side) for both private and NHS an awareness of the cost would be useful. I remember having the argument with my mother in law that patients who end up staying in hospital because of social issues like nobody being able to cook them meals and help them clean etc would be better off being admitted to a 3 star hotel that did room service. My mother in law thought this was ridiculous and would be a complete waste of money. She refused to believe me when I said keeping that person on a ward is actually more expensive. An overnight stay in an NHS hospital is roughly comparable with a night in a 5 star hotel. 

Sometimes expensive treatment is needed and nobody should be denied it but I do think if the NHS did a bit of a look after the pennies in the NHS and they could save a lot and making people aware of the cost would be a good start. 

38 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

😄 I'm sure we are!

Yes I just think having worked (on the admin side) for both private and NHS an awareness of the cost would be useful. I remember having the argument with my mother in law that patients who end up staying in hospital because of social issues like nobody being able to cook them meals and help them clean etc would be better off being admitted to a 3 star hotel that did room service. My mother in law thought this was ridiculous and would be a complete waste of money. She refused to believe me when I said keeping that person on a ward is actually more expensive. An overnight stay in an NHS hospital is roughly comparable with a night in a 5 star hotel. 

Sometimes expensive treatment is needed and nobody should be denied it but I do think if the NHS did a bit of a look after the pennies in the NHS and they could save a lot and making people aware of the cost would be a good start. 

Where I am now does room service.a nurse at a previous hospital said the patient's she hates were the ones who treated it like a hotel.ive seen more than one patient discharged into a care home at NHS expense to free up thebed.