When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think if they’re diagnosing 54,000 cases a day then their death figures will surely go through the roof in a few weeks. Plus there may well be a difference in how they record deaths. We obviously had an issue with care homes so our death rate will have been affected by that, but they also have more extreme poverty there as well.

Ultimately if your health care service isn’t overwhelmed, then surely it’s difficult for one country to have significantly better outcome when it comes to deaths than another? There is no cure yet.

Russia is another one, nearly 600,000 cases but only 8000 deaths. Are they dealing with it better or is there another explanation. 

Russia are 100% lying. Their pneumonia rate is 500% up from last year. Same as florid, there's is up 200% from last year

Tom Petty's family send Donald Trump cease and desist over use of I Won't Back Down
US President Donald Trump used the song by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at a rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Saturday. Petty's estate released a statement a short time later, confirming they'd sent a cease and desist. "Both the late Tom Petty and his family firmly stand against racism and discrimination of any kind," the statement read. "Tom Petty would never want a song of his used for a campaign of hate."

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think what he means is that its easier to hide the true death rate if you don't test them, as then you can pretend it's something else.

Maybe but a positive test isn't essential to be counted in the death toll, suspected cases are included too.  

9 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Maybe but a positive test isn't essential to be counted in the death toll, suspected cases are included too.  

that depends on the country. Suspected cases aren't included in the official UK numbers, for example (but are in the UK's ONS numbers).

Anything can happen, and we saw that when he won the election, but it really feels like his time is up and there seems to be an air of desperation around this campaign. He's just playing the greatest hits but I really don't think they will work in the current climate. Latest Fox News poll has Biden with a 12 point lead. CNN has a 14 point lead.

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Russia are 100% lying. Their pneumonia rate is 500% up from last year. Same as florid, there's is up 200% from last year

Countries are reporting causes of death differently. Even Germany aren’t listing covid as the cause in most cases if there are underlying conditions. 

My uncle passed away a couple of months ago. He had covid but was already suffering from terminal lung cancer due to asbestos exposure. His death wasn’t caused because of Covid it was accelerated by Covid. 

There is definitely something wrong with Russias figures though even accounting for different ways of recording the cause of death. 

Edited by squirrelarmy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think if they’re diagnosing 54,000 cases a day then their death figures will surely go through the roof in a few weeks. Plus there may well be a difference in how they record deaths. We obviously had an issue with care homes so our death rate will have been affected by that, but they also have more extreme poverty there as well.

Ultimately if your health care service isn’t overwhelmed, then surely it’s difficult for one country to have significantly better outcome when it comes to deaths than another? There is no cure yet.

Russia is another one, nearly 600,000 cases but only 8000 deaths. Are they dealing with it better or is there another explanation. 

It will be interesting to see what the situation is like there in a few weeks.  I suppose the true marker will be to look back in a year's time and look at each individual countries excess deaths and compare that.

30 minutes ago, Neil said:

that depends on the country. Suspected cases aren't included in the official UK numbers, for example (but are in the UK's ONS numbers).

In the US they are counted in any case where it's mentioned on the death certificate so Trump can stop testing all he likes but it wouldn't alter the death toll much. If anything it might go up If covid couldn't be ruled out with a test they might mention it on the certificate as a possible factor and it would therefore be counted. 

31 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Countries are reporting causes of death differently. Even Germany aren’t listing covid as the cause in most cases if there are underlying conditions. 

My uncle passed away a couple of months ago. He had covid but was already suffering from terminal lung cancer due to asbestos exposure. His death wasn’t caused because of Covid it was accelerated by Covid. 

There is definitely something wrong with Russias figures though even accounting for different ways of recording the cause of death. 

I’m sorry mate, hope you and your family are coping ok. Hopefully your Uncle wasn’t in too much pain 

56 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m sorry mate, hope you and your family are coping ok. Hopefully your Uncle wasn’t in too much pain 

I think the hard part for most of the family was not being able to go to the funeral. There was a live stream of it but that’s no substitute for a proper send off. 

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I think the hard part for most of the family was not being able to go to the funeral. There was a live stream of it but that’s no substitute for a proper send off. 

I fully get that, it must’ve been so tough. I can’t even imagine mate. 

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

We had a colleague at my work pass away during lock down and she didn't have much family here as she was from Greece, several staff offered to go but we only managed to get 2 so I completely understand the hardship of this and am sorry for your loss 

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

Almost as if this, VE day and all the beaches being filled were mass media/social media hysteria... 

Let’s hope so ... it gives me hope it’s a little less catchable that we currently think or at least I do 

1 hour ago, Chapple12345 said:

Almost as if this, VE day and all the beaches being filled were mass media/social media hysteria... 

Almost as if there was a novel killer virus loose, causing the deaths of over 1000 people a day, with transmission characteristics we didn't understand, so were trying to reduce risk.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Almost as if there was a novel killer virus loose, causing the deaths of over 1000 people a day, with transmission characteristics we didn't understand, so were trying to reduce risk.

Yeah it clearly wasn’t unwarranted to be worried about all those people gathering like they did. ‘Hysteria’, 42k people have died FFS. 

16 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

If you are that desperate to go to the pub fly to Spain 

Interestingly I just did a dummy attempt to buy flights to Valence in late July and they're pretty much all sold out already (Easyjet from Gatwick). I'm still not sure if it's a good idea though.