When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

By my reckoning, we'll know by August whether we can live with the virus or not.  If numbers don't start growing much by then, we might be able to live our lives with it.  Not sure I'll bother watching a film wearing a mask though.

let's see what happens in the winter when everyone's inside and there's the usual flu thing going on...I think that's the big test. By next spring, if we're still alive...then 2021 could be a good year. We may be able to even have sex again.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

let's see what happens in the winter when everyone's inside and there's the usual flu thing going on...I think that's the big test. By next spring, if we're still alive...then 2021 could be a good year. We may be able to even have sex again.

Yeah I agree on this - and my biggest concern is that we have a false sense of security over the summer and keep reopening more and more as we get towards that time. The whole thing took us by surprise how quickly it spread in Feb/March - I know we had warnings but the sheer scale of it before it became apparent in hospitals was scary. 

Fair to say I won't be setting foot in a crowded place at any point in 2020 even if we're led to believe it's fine 

4 hours ago, parsonjack said:

25% of Leicester's 2494 cases being reported in last 2 weeks sounds like f*cking 'outbreak' to me I'm afraid. 

Call it a 'surge' if you want but.....

I live in Leicester and I was concerned when it was mentioned yesterday as it was news to me and I’m keeping well up to date with local, national and global events regarding Coronavirus - it was though Mat Hancock was wanting to show they are on top of the situation. and it’s all under control. I should have known, with the sh*itshow our government have been over this whole crisis that it doesn’t seem to be the case. Today our local newspaper reported the below after our Mayor had been in touch with Mat Hancock. It looks though we haven’t got basic info on postcodes etc to take appropriate action and we should get it early next week! So much for urgent track and trace

I despair .....

‘He used the conference call, with Mr Hancock and Baroness Dido Harding who is leading the Government’s test and trace system, to ask for better quality data on people who have tested positive.

Sir Peter said: “What we have not been getting, and what we desperately need, is home postcode information for those who have tested positive.

“He (Mr Hancock) readily agreed to that and we should start getting that information early next week.

“When we have that we can tailor our response according to geographic areas of the city rather than resort to the blunt instrument of a citywide lockdown.

“It is most unlikely we will be locking down the whole or significant parts of the city.

“We will see when we get that more detailed information exactly how we can respond.”

Very localised alternatives to lockdown could involve door-to-door public health information sharing in affected streets and neighbourhoods.

Sir Peter said: “I also think is important we are able to get alongside that important home postcode detail, information about the ethnicity of people and their places of work.

“That way we can begin to work out how people are being infected.

“Is it from their neighbours? Is it from their colleagues?

“It is of course information that would have been very useful to us from Day One but I am glad we will be getting it now.”

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah I agree on this - and my biggest concern is that we have a false sense of security over the summer and keep reopening more and more as we get towards that time. The whole thing took us by surprise how quickly it spread in Feb/March - I know we had warnings but the sheer scale of it before it became apparent in hospitals was scary. 

Fair to say I won't be setting foot in a crowded place at any point in 2020 even if we're led to believe it's fine 

well, it could be a seasonal thing that we'll have to get used to anyway... who knows. The economy, kid's education, the health and welfare of the population are fucked...and this is becoming a higher priority than preventing people catching coronavirus.

in other news just seen that Katie Hopkins has been permanently kicked of twitter - only good news this year I reckon!!

Most seem happy about this but the usual squeals of loss of freedom of speech - why can't folk get freedom of speech is not the same as freedom of consequence?? You can't just say what the hell you want and not deal with the inevitable consequence of your actions if you are inciting hate :huh:

Edited by shoptildrop
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

I live in Leicester and I was concerned when it was mentioned yesterday as it was news to me and I’m keeping well up to date with local, national and global events regarding Coronavirus - it was though Mat Hancock was wanting to show they are on top of the situation. and it’s all under control. I should have known, with the sh*itshow our government have been over this whole crisis that it doesn’t seem to be the case. Today our local newspaper reported the below after our Mayor had been in touch with Mat Hancock. It looks though we haven’t got basic info on postcodes etc to take appropriate action and we should get it early next week! So much for urgent track and trace

I despair .....

‘He used the conference call, with Mr Hancock and Baroness Dido Harding who is leading the Government’s test and trace system, to ask for better quality data on people who have tested positive.

Sir Peter said: “What we have not been getting, and what we desperately need, is home postcode information for those who have tested positive.

“He (Mr Hancock) readily agreed to that and we should start getting that information early next week.

“When we have that we can tailor our response according to geographic areas of the city rather than resort to the blunt instrument of a citywide lockdown.

“It is most unlikely we will be locking down the whole or significant parts of the city.

“We will see when we get that more detailed information exactly how we can respond.”

Very localised alternatives to lockdown could involve door-to-door public health information sharing in affected streets and neighbourhoods.

Sir Peter said: “I also think is important we are able to get alongside that important home postcode detail, information about the ethnicity of people and their places of work.

“That way we can begin to work out how people are being infected.

“Is it from their neighbours? Is it from their colleagues?

“It is of course information that would have been very useful to us from Day One but I am glad we will be getting it now.”

Wow.  I can understand your concern.  Sounds as though Sir Peter is thankfully trying to get the information he needs to know take some informed action before the issue escalates, which I hope it won't.  Why it's not been available until now and the people of Leicester have learned of this only via the daily briefing is beyond unacceptable.

Take care.

Shocked to find government has been bull shitting again! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53105642

Apple says it did not know the UK was working on a "hybrid" version of the NHS coronavirus contact-tracing app using tech it developed with Google.

The firm took the unusual step of saying it was also unaware of an issue regarding distance-measuring, which was flagged by Health Secretary Matt Hancock in Thursday's daily briefing.

Apple said it was "difficult to understand" the claims.

Downing Street said the government had "worked closely with Apple and Google".

45 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Case numbers up for the 2nd day in a row, could be a result of relaxing measures but is slightly worrying.

Yup.....the other thing I noticed is that the quoted figure of 494 for hospital admissions may be down, but it's only down against a figure of 534 recorded on 9th June.  It's actually now higher than every day since then!

7 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

If you phone has updated recently (UK), a COVID tracker has been installed automatically without permission.

Settings> Security > Search 'COVID'

Screenshot_20200619-183046.png

All that is a button to allow you to turn the app on and off. You have to then download the app. It's not a tracker. Entirely voluntary.

It is disabled by default.

Edited by Copperface

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Good info. So in theory you should be able to give us a 3 week heads up as long as the government acts sensibly and logically. 

Exactly that. Although apparently when we first told them we would need 3 weeks notice they sounded surprised. They thought we could open up at a moments notice!

It's worth noting all my colleagues in England are back in work this week so seem confident 4th July will happen. We are expecting Wales to be the last week of July but as you say, we should have 3 weeks notice on this.

8 minutes ago, Copperface said:

All that is a button to allow you to turn the app on and off. You have to then download the app. It's not a tracker. Entirely voluntary.

It is disabled by default.

Ah, I had no idea.Thanks for clarifying. 👍

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Yup.....the other thing I noticed is that the quoted figure of 494 for hospital admissions may be down, but it's only down against a figure of 534 recorded on 9th June.  It's actually now higher than every day since then!

They rush through the slides these days, kind of like they want to rake our attention off them. 

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Wow.  I can understand your concern.  Sounds as though Sir Peter is thankfully trying to get the information he needs to know take some informed action before the issue escalates, which I hope it won't.  Why it's not been available until now and the people of Leicester have learned of this only via the daily briefing is beyond unacceptable.

Take care.

Thank you Parsonjack - guess all we can do is ‘hunker down’ as best we can! I just want to see us all out of this nightmare in the best way possible. I’m most certainly not a Tory voter but when this all kicked off I thought it was best to give them the benefit of the doubt as it’s the  government we’ve got and party differences should be put to one side. However, we have just gone from bad to worse from day one, crashing from one disaster to the next but being ‘world beating’ on deaths and economy but not in the right way! 

I suspect I’m just being ‘doom and gloom’ at the moment as I am so going to miss my Glastonbury ‘fix’ next week as I am sure most on here are too!

25 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

Thank you Parsonjack - guess all we can do is ‘hunker down’ as best we can! I just want to see us all out of this nightmare in the best way possible. I’m most certainly not a Tory voter but when this all kicked off I thought it was best to give them the benefit of the doubt as it’s the  government we’ve got and party differences should be put to one side. However, we have just gone from bad to worse from day one, crashing from one disaster to the next but being ‘world beating’ on deaths and economy but not in the right way! 

I suspect I’m just being ‘doom and gloom’ at the moment as I am so going to miss my Glastonbury ‘fix’ next week as I am sure most on here are too!

You aren’t being doom and gloom at all, it’s how it’s been. It’s gonna be a horrid week for us Glasto goers but there is some light at the end of the tunnel. 

58 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

I actually completely relate to this. I fucking hate the Tories and was devastated in December, but I really wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt at the start of this. They've absolutely fucked it.

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

This is some bullshit isn't it? I saw case numbers were up yesterday and was concerned, didn't watch the briefing today and glanced at the slide thinking oh okay they're back down but didn't look at the date! Thought they always did them week on week but no apparently they just pick one that suits to make it look like it's gone down. That is fucking gross.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

You aren’t being doom and gloom at all, it’s how it’s been. It’s gonna be a horrid week for us Glasto goers but there is some light at the end of the tunnel. 

Thank you Ozanne - yes, hopefully we will make it through and  have an amazing 2021 - what a party that’s going to be! It’s definitely my special place

35 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I actually completely relate to this. I fucking hate the Tories and was devastated in December, but I really wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt at the start of this. They've absolutely fucked it.

Yes - I made it through the Thatcher years and hated her with a vengeance but at least you knew where you stood with her. This lot - it’s the incompetence, lying and gaslighting that takes it to another level!

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

How how how ? Are they getting schools back full capacity ... just answer the question ... they are scrapping social distance in schools ... just say it !! 

Class-sized bubbles apparently. Fuck knows how that will work in secondary schools but seems slightly manageable in primary. I'm currently doing half days and 1/3 of it is handwashing! That's only going to increase when more kids return.