When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Love that- I suppose technically you could argue he advised sage by writing a paper that they read but it's certainly pushing the boundaries of the term 😂

It’s unsurprising that PFA have jumped on it without reading into any of the detail. 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Love that- I suppose technically you could argue he advised sage by writing a paper that they read but it's certainly pushing the boundaries of the term 😂

he works as a dr of mechanical engineering and his expertise is in energy use or something. He was also against some of the lockdown social distancing stuff, and writes a lot in the spectator etc. No doubt he's very clever, and cloth masks won't be as good as the surgical ones, but there are many different opinions out there on their effectiveness, and his is one opinion.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s unsurprising that PFA have jumped on it without reading into any of the detail. 

actually PFA twisted the words even more, to just SAGE adviser.

Anyway, maybe cloth ones are useless, I don't know...but consensus is still any mask is better than nothing, even if they work a tiny bit can make a big difference overall.

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm more than happy with them as an aggregator just because you see articles from different places. Trust them as much as I do any of the actual media outlets 😂

Its not that, it’s that they never read into what they are sharing and it’s often disproved after the fact. 

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Its not that, it’s that they never read into what they are sharing and it’s often disproved after the fact. 

I guess those who take what they say would be fooled by it. All good for those of us who read the articles and make our own interpretation though! 

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Well, article behind telegraph paywall, and no way I'm paying to read their bile.

There are ways 🙂 - if you're technically minded then source code 

On an unrelated note. If you ever want to save a Web page for posterity, a website called archive .is is pretty good for such purposes. No other uses for it of course...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/17/revealed-independent-sage-run-left-wing-group-including-anti/

Revealed: Independent Sage is run by Left-wing group including anti-Brexit activists

Carol Codswallop’s involvement tells you all you need to know. Anti Boris, anti government drivel. It’s politically motivated. 

Edited by BobWillis2

3 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

The official line is they make a small difference when coupled with social distancing.   When is the last time you saw social distancing?

Personally, today. Both times I left the house. One being at my kids swimming lesson, everyone was observing the 1M+ rules in the leisure centre where it takes place. Second was at Tesco this afternoon. It was fairly busy but almost everyone was giving each other space.

Edited by MrHew

So, last time "freedom day" was postponed, it looked like the NW would follow Bolton in a sustained dropoff in cases and the rest of the country would follow the NW.  Then, when that didn't happen in a few weeks, it appeared that Manchester's growth rate was slowing.

Well the growth rate is slowing in some areas, growing in others - sustained exponential growth.  And this is the situation in which we're deciding to loosen all restrictions. It looked like a good idea a few weeks ago, it really did. But it looks like we might be on the verge of another self inflicted health crisis again. Goddamn it, I just want life to return to normal, I really do. But there is precisely fuck all normal about these rates of COVID-19.

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Not many deaths...  Hospital numbers going up but people staying for a short duration...

Its not all bad...

And Monday I can go costa without a mask - Mocha please

Hope not fear 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sadly we’ll see more deaths if we have more hospitalisations after more cases.

The deaths are currently at the highest rate since March.