When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, steviewevie said:

I think depends where you go...the bigger places seem to be doing the table ordering thing, but the small pub I went to in London last week you wouldn't have known there were any restrictions at all.

Place in Taunton I went to in the day was fine … but at night there was one very large group of people sat together … there was track and trace sign in and table service for what it’s worth though … I guess enforcement of restrictions becomes harder as people become more drunk … and the natural instinct for many is to congregate … the pub does take a big risk with enforcement if they don’t though depending on what is happening it will just take 1 person to report issues 

Pubs are absolutely terrified of the consequences of not following the rules. It could cause them to get shut down either explicitly (H&S visitor spots them not following the rules) or implicitly (Contributing to more spread leading to another lockdown) so in my experience most are enforcing them pretty tightly. 

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think depends where you go...the bigger places seem to be doing the table ordering thing, but the small pub I went to in London last week you wouldn't have known there were any restrictions at all.

The places I’ve been to have been small independent places and have been sticking to the rules. There’s a mix of ordering through an app, on a website and one place was table ordering. I like ordering on your phone at your table tbh. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The places I’ve been to have been small independent places and have been sticking to the rules. There’s a mix of ordering through an app, on a website and one place was table ordering. I like ordering on your phone at your table tbh. 

Yeah, my missus prefers ordering using app than having to go to the bar...I prefer going to the bar because I'm a bit of a luddite.

57 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

To tell the truth I don’t actually know what the rules really are anymore apart from mask wearing but I’d imagine they’ll further relax the outdoors stuff and keep the indoors as the same with the date for everything else moving a few weeks.

I’ve not been out for a drinking session in pubs yet but my brother said that everywhere bar the local Wetherspoons in my hometown have shall we say relaxed current rules already…

Well yeah after there are a few drinks down everyone's necks it all goes out the window.

I’ve had a weekend away with my parents this weekend and its the first time they've ventured to pubs and restaurants outside their village during the whole pandemic. I could see they were visibly quite shocked at expectation v reality.

This is something I'm a bit nervous about. A lot of people who have religiously followed the rules this whole time are going to have a massive problem reintegrating into society. My mums friend wore her mask in the pub the whole time and only took it off to eat. She's double vaxxed but obviously this year has put the fear of life into some people to go back to normal .

Edited by Matt42

Went to a pub on Friday after a walk. 

Inside = table service and contactless payment.

Outdoor = sign up for an account on an app and put bank details etc to pay. Then got told on the app its 12 mins for your drinks to arrive. Bit of a pain as the mobile reception was flakey.

Could not get my head around why we could not just order and pay outside from the girl who was bringing drinks out ??

16 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Went to a pub on Friday after a walk. 

Inside = table service and contactless payment.

Outdoor = sign up for an account on an app and put bank details etc to pay. Then got told on the app its 12 mins for your drinks to arrive. Bit of a pain as the mobile reception was flakey.

Could not get my head around why we could not just order and pay outside from the girl who was bringing drinks out ??

My parents who don’t/can’t/won’t use smartphones have been told by a couple of pubs that they ‘won’t be allowed in again’ unless they use the app. Their phones can’t handle it though - I tried downloading it onto them.

Feels a bit discriminatory and unfair? They’re not the only people who don’t have smartphones.

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

My parents who don’t/can’t/won’t use smartphones have been told by a couple of pubs that they ‘won’t be allowed in again’ unless they use the app. Their phones can’t handle it though - I tried downloading it onto them.

Feels a bit discriminatory and unfair? They’re not the only people who don’t have smartphones.

yeah, bit shit that really. I was at somewhere the other night that was admittedly not that busy and bloke just came over to ask what we wanted...just takes a little bit of common sense.

6 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

This is a great point. There was an old fella drinking alone in a pub in Hammersmith last weekend, who either didn't have the ability to use a smartphone. In the end, the barman came over, took his phone and entered the details for him. As someone has said above, why we can't just write it down or ask for it, is beyond me. All the way through the pandemic, there have been rules which have been obvious and necessary but it's also been littered with rules that just lack common sense or practicality. 

16 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

This is a great point. There was an old fella drinking alone in a pub in Hammersmith last weekend, who either didn't have the ability to use a smartphone. In the end, the barman came over, took his phone and entered the details for him. As someone has said above, why we can't just write it down or ask for it, is beyond me. All the way through the pandemic, there have been rules which have been obvious and necessary but it's also been littered with rules that just lack common sense or practicality. 

When the pubs reopened last summer, you could just fill in your details by hand - which my parents happily did. Not sure what’s happened to that solution?

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Thread from so called expert on Delta and Bolton etc

Something I would like to know is are we still below the estimated case numbers predicted just from opening up? 

Is the Delta just replacing the Kent and the rise in cases was always expected anyway? It's going to be very interesting to see the numbers this time next week. 

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

When the pubs reopened last summer, you could just fill in your details by hand - which my parents happily did. Not sure what’s happened to that solution?

Someone created apps funded by Tory party donors ? 

4 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Whilst I really like the app ordering system, there needs to be another option as you suggest manually writing details and paying with contactless card would cover it. 

40 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I know a fella has an old mobile not smart phone. Apparently all tickets next year for season ticket holders need to be done via a smartphone for Liverpool FC. He's still not sure what he can do.

8 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

You still can. Or should be able to at least. For all the scenarios listed.

It's fine to encourage using apps for ordering and checking in, but it then just needs something for the times an app isn't appropriate. 

We haven't gone down the app route. Or if we have we'll probably have something out in the mid 2030s. We do have systems in place to make everything work which we generally stick too but then every now and then you just have to change things up to suit. It's not complicated. 

2 minutes ago, faymondo said:

I know a fella has an old mobile not smart phone. Apparently all tickets next year for season ticket holders need to be done via a smartphone for Liverpool FC. He's still not sure what he can do.

Im still trying to get info from the club about this, its mental. How can they assume everyone has a smart phone with the app? I know a few of the old fellas who have only just got to grips with a mobile phone with buttons. I presume they will have to send out a card or let you still use your old card OR the app. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Hancock now saying work from home and masks could be in place for the long term.

Not seeing much to encourage under 30s to get the vaccine to be honest.

Very little seems like it's actually going to change on freedom day as it stands.

Likely only the rule of 6 going and letting clubs open maybe? 

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m hoping for larger outside crowds at sport … maybe too optomistic though 

Would not say that this is overly optimistic. Normally all outdoor events should be possible also in the UK for those vaccinated, tested or recovered without any further restrictions throughout the summer.

24 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Hancock now saying work from home and masks could be in place for the long term.

Not seeing much to encourage under 30s to get the vaccine to be honest.

Very little seems like it's actually going to change on freedom day as it stands.

Wfh and masks on public transport seems Easy low hanging fruit really. Even someone like me who thinks enough is enough is willing to go along with that. 

Social distancing is the main thing I want gone asap

Edited by zahidf

For people who have recently rebooked their second jab, was it a case of having to cancel your first and try again? My other half wants to move his (not necessarily bring it forward but it clashes with some plans we are trying to make), but a bit wary about losing his current appointment. I'm guessing they have to accommodate it some way if people need to move it?

Slept for 10 hours post my second and had some pretty mental vivid  dreams (I think just as a result of sleeping so deeply tbh) but aside from a bit of arm pain feeling fine.

31 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

You still can. Or should be able to at least. For all the scenarios listed.

It's fine to encourage using apps for ordering and checking in, but it then just needs something for the times an app isn't appropriate. 

We haven't gone down the app route. Or if we have we'll probably have something out in the mid 2030s. We do have systems in place to make everything work which we generally stick too but then every now and then you just have to change things up to suit. It's not complicated. 

This is what I thought. Really feel my parents have a right to complain about it, even though ultimately they were let in.