When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

not sure how this impacts untreated cancers etc...but I get his overall point.

Because the NHS suspends all non-essential business during lockdowns. So if we reopen on 21st then the NHS will respond to this by deprioritising covid and resuming other business. That’s one of the main reasons why we need to get the reopening done. 

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

not sure how this impacts untreated cancers etc...but I get his overall point.

Not right at this current time it doesnt, things are back up and running. But we are now looking at a back log of years for cancer patients because of the lockdowns. It's really highlighted how the NHS funding should be a blank cheque book.. It's been decimated over the last 10 years (probably more). 

I would not be surprised that 5 years from now we have killed way more people than we saved by locking down. And it wont just be over 70's. 

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Because the NHS suspends all non-essential business during lockdowns. So if we reopen on 21st then the NHS will respond to this by deprioritising covid and resuming other business. That’s one of the main reasons why we need to get the reopening done. 

Are you sure the NHS aren't prioritising COVID because of COVID?  There's a correlation between prioritising COVID and lockdowns, but not a direct causal link - they're both caused by the pandemic.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Are you sure the NHS aren't prioritising COVID because of COVID?  There's a correlation between prioritising COVID and lockdowns, but not a direct causal link - they're both caused by the pandemic.

I suggest you go and watch Hospital on BBC iPlayer. 

12 minutes ago, Havors said:

Not right at this current time it doesnt, things are back up and running. But we are now looking at a back log of years for cancer patients because of the lockdowns. It's really highlighted how the NHS funding should be a blank cheque book.. It's been decimated over the last 10 years (probably more). 

I would not be surprised that 5 years from now we have killed way more people than we saved by locking down. And it wont just be over 70's. 

yeah, well because health care systems were overwhelmed with covid patients...you could argue that earlier and stricter lockdowns would have meant non covid illness could still have been treated, and so could also argue to ensure cancer patients etc can be seen this summer we should keep restrictions for longer..

Edited by steviewevie
  • Upvote 1

I guess in an ideal world we would have had the nightingales just for covid patients, and all other hospitals kept for non covid patients. Last spring people were going into hospitals and catching covid, and then in some cases going back to care homes and everyone catching it there. Not sure those Nightingales ever were set up to have ventilators though...maybe they were thought of as part of a herd immunity type plan where ill covid patients would just be kept in there until they died or recovered.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess in an ideal world we would have had the nightingales just for covid patients, and all other hospitals kept for non covid patients. Last spring people were going into hospitals and catching covid, and then in some cases going back to care homes and everyone catching it there. Not sure those Nightingales ever were set up to have ventilators though...maybe they were thought of as part of a herd immunity type plan where ill covid patients would just be kept in there until they died or recovered.

I still think they'd have a use now - wasn't it down to the lack of ventilators and ICU nurses? If it's flipped over onto milder cases being in there, so just younger people needing oxygen, you'd think the staff wouldn't need to be as highly trained. 

I just feel like we're meant to accept that the NHS has a certain capacity and we now need to base our lives around that, which is not sustainable 

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 hours ago, MrBarry465 said:

I'm 32 and the earliest appointment for first vaccine I've been able to get is mid June.

Personally I don't think we have everyone done until end of July.

That doesn't really indicate anything - the situation with regard to local appointments changes all the time, and a lot (I suspect it's a majority but don't know that for sure) of first dose appointments aren't even put on to the booking system until about a week before, sometimes less.

Edited by incident

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I still think they'd have a use now - wasn't it down to the lack of ventilators and ICU nurses? If it's flipped over onto milder cases being in there, so just younger people needing oxygen, you'd think the staff wouldn't need to be as highly trained. 

I just feel like we're meant to accept that the NHS has a certain capacity and we now need to base our lives around that, which is not sustainable 

Well they are talking about surgery hubs now to deal with all the surgeries and keep them completely separate to covid patients.

They should have done that the opposite way around. However, we go back to the lack of funding and building for the NHS for many many years now. 

If Labour want to get into power they should just offer to pay whatever it takes to fund the NHS and make it super efficient. Thats a vote winner. 

Just now, incident said:

That doesn't really indicate anything - the situation with regard to local appointments changes all the time, and a lot (I suspect it'd a majority but don't know that for sure) of first dose appointments aren't even put on to the booking system until about a week before, sometimes less.

Yeah the online booking system is a bit misleading... There are options to search 5 days ahead or back for slots... this is completely false and doesnt work. It literally only shows a day or two window a set amount of time from the day you try to book. 

Also, but your full postcode.. that helps. If I put just the first part in I get a limited selection... if you put the full post code in you get more.  They also open and close vaccination centres on certain days which has an effect on slots.

It is all quite strange. 

11 minutes ago, Havors said:

If Labour want to get into power they should just offer to pay whatever it takes to fund the NHS and make it super efficient. Thats a vote winner. 

even if means we have to all pay higher taxes?

A shit load of money needs spending on social care too.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

even if means we have to all pay higher taxes?

A shit load of money needs spending on social care too.

When has telling anyone where the money is going to come from been needed? Just make the promises like the Tories do...  Like the Tories 40 "new hosptials" and thousands of nurses bullshit. It just doesn't matter.. the headline is what gets the vote. 

Except I would actually follow through unlike them haha! I would happily pay a bit more tax/NI to help. The money can be found... just like the Tories find it for whatever they want. 

Edited by Havors

12 minutes ago, Havors said:

When has telling anyone where the money is going to come from been needed? Just make the promises like the Tories do...  Like the Tories 40 "new hosptials" and thousands of nurses bullshit. It just doesn't matter.. the headline is what gets the vote.

Because labour always has to say where money is coming from...they aren't trusted on economy and the tories always use that as ammunition. It's why McDonnell had to do the whole full costing thing for labour's manifesto, whereas tories never have to.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Because labour always has to say where money is coming from...they aren't trusted on economy and the tories always use that as ammunition. It's why McDonnell had to do the whole full costing thing for labour's manifesto, whereas tories never have to.

They just need to play the game better in my opinion. Like I said the people who follow the details etc are the minority. Most voters just deal in headlines and catchphrases.

My arm has only just stopped hurting from my vaccination on Saturday 😂

Felt like a right gimp cussing in the middle of the night every time I went to lie on it!

No other side effects though so 👍 for Moderna. Apparently it’s the most expensive so as far as I’m concerned I’m Waitrose and everyone else sits below me.

2 hours ago, Havors said:

Also, but your full postcode.. that helps. If I put just the first part in I get a limited selection... if you put the full post code in you get more.  They also open and close vaccination centres on certain days which has an effect on slots.

That's crackers. The first part of the postcode is the larger area! 

45 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Super vivid, sort of lucid, but spectacularly dull. And this was at the height of lockdown when dull really meant dull

Yeah I woke up this morning fully thinking my dream was real. Nothing weird happened in it. One of those dreams where you just go to the shop, but I was so shook when I found out I’d been dreaming!