When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Even as someone who doesn't use them much, I've still not seen any data that suggests gyms being open were ever a hotbed of transmission or had any outbreaks traced back to them. All the ones I was aware of near me had decent ventilation, wipe downs after every session, distancing, and low capacity.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Even as someone who doesn't use them much, I've still not seen any data that suggests gyms being open were ever a hotbed of transmission or had any outbreaks traced back to them. All the ones I was aware of near me had decent ventilation, wipe downs after every session, distancing, and low capacity.

I do agree .... that they probably arent so dangerous .... but as with Supermarkets  as the pandemic went on the measures became more lax at least at my gym ..... Im not sure anything was ever traced back because those QR codes were proved to be completely ineffective .... the cases would come from the interaction between people around the Gyms like having a yap to a mate in the changing rooms and general increased mobility around the trips to them , But now id say they are absolutely safe to be open and helping people back to health 

1 hour ago, Mellotr0n said:

That's the problem. He must've really struggled with social distancing given that's how he likes to stand with people he (presumably) doesn't know that well.

I swear there's an entire subsection of men who believe themselves to be "alpha" but express that entirely by invading other people's space. They're shitting themselves that that won't be something they can get away with any more!

29 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I do agree .... that they probably arent so dangerous .... but as with Supermarkets  as the pandemic went on the measures became more lax at least at my gym ..... Im not sure anything was ever traced back because those QR codes were proved to be completely ineffective .... the cases would come from the interaction between people around the Gyms like having a yap to a mate in the changing rooms and general increased mobility around the trips to them , But now id say they are absolutely safe to be open and helping people back to health 

Same argument we had tens of times during the pandemic. Places likely to have outbreaks are places where the same people are visiting the same place at the same time on a regular basis. So workplaces and schools. Whereas pubs and gyms and shops and so on may have a lot of people through them, but it's different people at different times. Outbreaks are where multiple people all catch it from the same place, so you never get an outbreak as such linked to them, but that doesn't mean you don't get transmission.

And while workplaces and schools are more susceptible to exponential spread within the workplace/school, they also form bubbles by default.

Whereas gyms and pubs don't - you have contacts with people you otherwise wouldn't have contacts with at them.

So if someone in an office gets sick, it spreads around the whole office and it's an outbreak and recorded. If someone from that office goes to the gym and spreads it to one or two other people, and those people then go to work in their offices, and spread it to everyone in their office, that's two more outbreaks linked to offices. But it was only through the gym visit that they were chained together.

This isn't really relevant but I had a delightful half hour with this yesterday and it properly got me out of the COVID-blues. It's a free browser game where you're trying to figure out what parts of a song one (fictional) musician plagiarized from three other (fictional) songs. Some really ace music and makes an interesting point about modern song writing, so figured you guys would like it: https://tim-sheinman.itch.io/copy-right

41 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Our usual chap who gives the vaccination stats on Twitter is on hols but apparently the UK did 64,828k doses yesterday.

Where is this supply issue?!

image.png.a5231bc5c832255d856a7db16ba33499.png

I got an email today from the volunteer organisation saying that they were planning for fewer shifts for April and apologising to people who'd already had shifts canceled. This was due to supplies expected to be lower. They did also say that this would be monitored and shifts increased again if needed. 

So not all down to second doses

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Because I know you all love a variant chart...

I think it's worth noting that this chart doesn't show all variants.  If it also showed B117 (without E484k) then everything else on the graph would be practically flat.  It seems to suggest we're overrun by B.1.351, which is far from the case.  It took me a while, until I realised the "y" axis isn't measured in thousands, or daily cases  - it's total cumulative cases, so there's less than 500 of the "biggest" variant on here.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think it's worth noting that this chart doesn't show all variants.  If it also showed B117 (without E484k) then everything else on the graph would be practically flat.  It seems to suggest we're overrun by B.1.351, which is far from the case.  It took me a while, until I realised the "y" axis isn't measured in thousands, or daily cases  - it's total cumulative cases, so there's less than 500 of the "biggest" variant on here.

you mean like this

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Gyms should never have been closed.

You can’t close the place that people go to improve their health and then act surprised when you get a abnormally high death toll from a bog standard virus. 

Hahaha, "bog standard virus". Like the bog standard diseases Europeans took to the Americas and wiped out the native population because they had no immunity?

Once we've got herd immunity it'll be a bog standard virus, and yes a lot of people have mild or no symptoms, but millions of people have died from it.

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Because I know you all love a variant chart...

Variants which get absolutely knee capped by the vaccines. Scary stuff.

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Just off to drink some of the tears of those saying we shouldn't get the outside hospitality open this weekend.

Edited by JoeyT

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

Hahaha, "bog standard virus". Like the bog standard diseases Europeans took to the Americas and wiped out the native population because they had no immunity?

Once we've got herd immunity it'll be a bog standard virus, and yes a lot of people have mild or no symptoms, but millions of people have died from it.

I know very little about the viruses you refer to but the fact they "wiped out the native population" suggests they are far more serious than covid-19.

Unless you're over 70 or have some pretty serious health issues then there's a great chance that you won't even realise you have it. Older and more vulnerable people die and those without swiss cheese immune systems are absolutely fine. That's exactly how "bog standard viruses" work.