When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Actually you were right, it appears it was just guidance, but it was I clear initially and when pressed this is what the government, specifically Michael Gove said in response:

I would have thought that for most people a walk of up to an hour or a run of 30 minutes or a cycle ride, depending on their level of fitness is appropriate

The key thing is however that it had to be close you your home and you were not allowed to travel elsewhere to do it.

Yeah that was my understanding, a guideline but not a limit as such. However the "close to home" bit was very clear, no ambiguity whatsoever about that .

I'm pretty worried this is going to lead to lockdown collapsing and a major resurgence of this thing, leading in turn to a second lockdown ordered by people whose credibility is in danger of collapse.

Its not been a good few weeks for them but this is turning into a disaster.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

I'm pretty worried this is going to lead to lockdown collapsing and a major resurgence of this thing, leading in turn to a second lockdown ordered by people whose credibility is in danger of collapse.

Its not been a good few weeks for them but this is turning into a disaster.

That could be (or is?) what they wanted all along.

23 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

At one point it was definitely an hour of outdoor exercise per day. The recent change in restrictions have made it unlimited.

You are right, it was 1 hour max and it could only be from your home. Do you remember there was an argument here about driving to take your dog for a walk? 

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

That could be (or is?) what they wanted all along.

Well, its weird. I don't want to play devil's advocate and say the UK government is so willing to play a high-stakes game of chicken with a deadly unknown virus, but I'm aware that is what the likes of the US, Brazil and Russia are doing.

Just now, Ozanne said:

You are right, it was 1 hour max 

See link  posted above,  1 hour was a suggested reasonable amount, but there was no rule against doing more. It depended on the "individual level of fitness" or however it was worded. Which I interpret to mean as long as you need. 

As much as I would like to believe otherwise. I am not sure that there is a Silver bullet coming tonight, the Pippa Crerar twitter page is focused on the police investigation. The fact that the individual that spotted him has reported it to the police makes it look like it is not motivated by the greater good.

I have no doubt that Bernard Castle happened, Schapps didn’t even deny that this morning. However that will become about daily exercise and whether you should travel to it and whether it was within or out-with the isolation period. There are already debates on here questioning the clarity of the instruction, in my view he broke the rules that the majority of people believed were in place, but that will be lost by ambiguity.

The only thing that will finish this off is any evidence that a second visit to Durham occurred, but the strength of denials on this says they are comfortable this did not occur.

Edited by Cherry Tree

6 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

As much as I would like to believe otherwise. I am not sure that there is a Silver bullet coming tonight, the Pippa Crerar twitter page is focused on the police investigation. I have no doubt that Bernard Castle happened, Schapps didn’t even deny that this morning. However that will become about daily exercise and whether you should travel to it and whether it was within or out-with the isolation period. There are already debates on here questioning the clarity of the instruction, in my view he broke the rules that the majority of people believed were in place, but that will be lost by ambiguity.

The only thing that will finish this off is any evidence that a second visit to Durham occurred, but the strength of denials on this says they are comfortable this did not occur.

The police story is it for today I think but this whole thing strikes me as really well planned and prepared. There will be something else tomorrow I'm sure. Hopefully more witnesses come out the woodwork as well.

5 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

As much as I would like to believe otherwise. I am not sure that there is a Silver bullet coming tonight, the Pippa Crerar twitter page is focused on the police investigation. I have no doubt that Bernard Castle happened, Schapps didn’t even deny that this morning. However that will become about daily exercise and whether you should travel to it and whether it was within or out-with the isolation period. There are already debates on here questioning the clarity of the instruction, in my view he broke the rules that the majority of people believed were in place, but that will be lost by ambiguity.

There's no ambiguity, he did breach lockdown rules by going to Barnard Castle. At the time you could only do exercise if it was from your home, you couldn't drive anywhere to do it. So if he was there at that date then he did breach lockdown and should resign.

10 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

As much as I would like to believe otherwise. I am not sure that there is a Silver bullet coming tonight, the Pippa Crerar twitter page is focused on the police investigation. The fact that the individual that spotted him has reported it to the police makes it look like it is not motivated by the greater good.

I have no doubt that Bernard Castle happened, Schapps didn’t even deny that this morning. However that will become about daily exercise and whether you should travel to it and whether it was within or out-with the isolation period. There are already debates on here questioning the clarity of the instruction, in my view he broke the rules that the majority of people believed were in place, but that will be lost by ambiguity.

They have totally misunderstood what the issue is IMO, they think this is a minor political issue that will go away after a few days. This is not really about politics, it's a question of morality a simple "is this right or wrong?" The government asked the public to do the right thing in order to defeat the virus, 90% of the public did stick to the rules and now they see that someone in a senior position did not obey the rules, that in itself would be bad enough but if Boris had admitted it was wrong and apologised the public may have accepted that. That would have been the moral thing to do. For him to defend it is simply immoral, that is why even the politically right are so upset by this. There are countless stories of people dealing with true hardship, life and death issues made worse by the lockdown and Johnson basically dismisses their sacrifices with his support of the indefensible. The damage has been done, even if Boris does a U turn and gets rid of Cummings he will never have the respect of the public again.

10 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

They have totally misunderstood what the issue is IMO, they think this is a minor political issue that will go away after a few days. This is not really about politics, it's a question of morality a simple "is this right or wrong?" The government asked the public to do the right thing in order to defeat the virus, 90% of the public did stick to the rules and now they see that someone in a senior position did not obey the rules, that in itself would be bad enough but if Boris had admitted it was wrong and apologised the public may have accepted that. That would have been the moral thing to do. For him to defend it is simply immoral, that is why even the politically right are so upset by this. There are countless stories of people dealing with true hardship, life and death issues made worse by the lockdown and Johnson basically dismisses their sacrifices with his support of the indefensible. The damage has been done, even if Boris does a U turn and gets rid of Cummings he will never have the respect of the public again.

For me even if what he did would be considered acceptable as a normal member of the public who was genuinely looking out for the best interests of their child, as a high ranking government official responsible for setting policies etc, he simply has to be whiter than white. If there is any ambiguity what so ever he simply has to err on the side of caution. If he thinks his actions could be even remotely questioned in the manner they are now, he has to not do them and take every possible step to avoid doing them. The fact that he has done what he has done shows complete contempt for the public simply because he isn’t stupid enough to not understand if he was found out what is happening now is exactly what would happen.

12 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

The other difference, is usually when Johnson or governments lie its about something most people either don’t understand or don’t care about or haven’t followed. This is completely different as people have been paying close attention to what he’s said for weeks because they needed the updates and guidance. So to turn around after months and say people never heard what they heard, is blatantly lying to the publics face in a way that’s more brazen than normal.

Factor in peoples open up anger and anguish About the wider situation anyways, and this just acts as a lightening rod for that- feels like a complete slap in the face. I feel genuinely awful for people who didn’t go to funerals or sick or dying relatives because they were adhering to the lockdown. To now hear Johnson say the could of must be so sickening.

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

what time do we get the glimpses of tomorrow front pages ?

Daily Mail’s will probably be:

”Hurrah! Boris unveils plans to get our kids back to school”

and the Sun’s:

”Footballer Farts in Supermarket!”

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

Daily Mail’s will probably be:

”Hurrah! Boris unveils plans to get our kids back to school”

and the Sun’s:

”Footballer Farts in Supermarket!”

probably ... maybe they might follow the country's mood ... papers to sell ... ? doubt it but ....