When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, SheffJeff said:

If this strains made it to Walsall and Southport I struggle believing its not on the rise in more places. I may just be having a pessimistic day though as I hate fucking Mondays.

I thought that, but people from Walsall and Southport will have travelled to South Africa I guess.

Relevant to the new variants, and I may be incorrect, is that the new MrNA vaccines can only be engineered to cope with a small number of variants ( I saw two or three mentioned), whereas the adenoviral vaccines like AZ Oxford can be tweaked to include almost as many as you want over time, which, as these variations mount up is more useful. Whether you need them all covered though is a different point, as one or two variants would probably become the predominant strains eclipsing some others..

I can’t remember, does the immune system protect you from these new variants if you’ve previously recovered from Covid? Or is it still TBC as is the case with the vaccines?
On a more general note, is you your body likely to be able to fight these with natural immunity rather than a specifically engineered one for the original Covid strain?

Doesn't the fact that the SA variant is spreading a sign that this lockdown isn't tough enough? Do you think 2/3 weeks of complete lockdown akin to the first lockdown ( no leaving the house for other than essentials )would be a good way to tackle this?

Probs best to nip it in the bud and will have an added effect on downward pressure on cases.

5 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Doesn't the fact that the SA variant is spreading a sign that this lockdown isn't tough enough? Do you think 2/3 weeks of complete lockdown akin to the first lockdown ( no leaving the house for other than essentials )would be a good way to tackle this?

Probs best to nip it in the bud and will have an added effect on downward pressure on cases.

I think that would be a hard sell when cases are falling as they are say.

Not saying you are wrong though.

30 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

How would you get this message across? 

"Those of you who are ignoring the current lockdown must now abide by this one"?

2 hours ago, mcshed said:

FWIW my 71 year old mum has an appointment for the 13th and all of her friends who are over 70 have appointments before the 15th. So I think Scotland is on course to meet the deadline, I suspect it means the rest of the UK is well ahead of the target.

Neither of my parents up north have heard anything yet and both in their 70s

7 minutes ago, Sack truck said:

Neither of my parents up north have heard anything yet and both in their 70s

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep same here 14 days and counting ... 

So Scotland are behind on giving vaccine but ahead on booking appointments, is it possible that this less flexible approach is causing the delay.

Just now, mcshed said:

So Scotland are behind on giving vaccine but ahead on booking appointments, is it possible that this less flexible approach is causing the delay.

Plenty of other local over 70s have though ... just completely hit and miss ... Scotland still confident of hitting the 14th target an snp spokesperson just said on bbc 

18 minutes ago, km9 said:

How would you get this message across? 

"Those of you who are ignoring the current lockdown must now abide by this one"?

Agree, its a very difficult message to get across as @Ozannementions.  The government has placed themselves in a very difficult situation. They have teased people with normality last year and made the wrong choice at every turn (other than vaccine related where I think the job done is good). Once we had that taste of normality and with the novelty of the first lockdown ending  there is growing dissatisfaction in the public I feel. 

This lockdown isn't strict. For one of my clients, I know people are still going to the office even if it can be done remotely (which they did in lockdown one). My own father is going to the office after being furloughed for 10 months. The messaging needs to be if you don't want further lockdowns down the road, we will have a circuit breaker to contain this variant and vaccinate as many people in that time. By the looks of it weekends are always doing better for vaccinations which I am guessing is due to people being off? If we can muster up the army to transport people who need it and book in people we could vaccinate a whole lot. 

The goal needs to be that this is the last lockdown. I personally don't know what I would do if I was constantly coming in and out of lockdown. My thinking has turned more negative and cynical the longer this has gone on to the point that, If we were still coming in and out of lockdown this time next year I would be like sod it, I don't care anymore, I want to enjoy life.

12 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Agree, its a very difficult message to get across as @Ozannementions.  The government has placed themselves in a very difficult situation. They have teased people with normality last year and made the wrong choice at every turn (other than vaccine related where I think the job done is good). Once we had that taste of normality and with the novelty of the first lockdown ending  there is growing dissatisfaction in the public I feel. 

This lockdown isn't strict. For one of my clients, I know people are still going to the office even if it can be done remotely (which they did in lockdown one). My own father is going to the office after being furloughed for 10 months. The messaging needs to be if you don't want further lockdowns down the road, we will have a circuit breaker to contain this variant and vaccinate as many people in that time. By the looks of it weekends are always doing better for vaccinations which I am guessing is due to people being off? If we can muster up the army to transport people who need it and book in people we could vaccinate a whole lot. 

The goal needs to be that this is the last lockdown. I personally don't know what I would do if I was constantly coming in and out of lockdown. My thinking has turned more negative and cynical the longer this has gone on to the point that, If we were still coming in and out of lockdown this time next year I would be like sod it, I don't care anymore, I want to enjoy life.

Why do we need a harsher lockdown if the vaccines provide protection against the SA variant? By the time that was lifted another variant will be on the block, plus new variants are going to keep appearing and we can't keep them out. The only ones we need to worry about at the ones that vaccine don't work on, even more transmissable ones matter less as more and more people are vaccinated. Don't they?