When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

56 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yep, as tough as this situation is for both parents and children (and I don’t think anybody at all is doubting that it really is very challenging with both long and short term impacts) - if saving lives is your top priority then the schools simply have to remain closed for a while longer yet. 

If we'd shut the schools earlier than we could probably have got away with them being shut for a shorter time in total.

Slightly random scenario that has happened with my family. My sister has a friend Holly who over NYE had COVID, she has recovered. Holly's flatmate this week has tested positive. Holly met my sister for a socially distanced walk on Monday. What do people think of this, chances of it being passed on by Holly who has already had it are low but not 100% confirmed yet either? Also my sister was socially distanced so that would help mitigate the virus if Holly was transmissible. Bit of a strange one.

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

From the guardian's feed, not great news:

Two new Covid-19 vaccines less effective against South African strain, early data suggests

Data from two coronavirus vaccine trials has indicated that they are less effective against the South African variant of coronavirus.

Clinical trial data showed that the vaccines from The vaccines from Novavax Inc and Johnson & Johnson were significantly less effective at preventing coronavirus in trial participants in South Africa, where the new variant is widespread, compared with countries where the variant is less common.

Novavax reported that results from mid-stage trials on Thursday that showed its vaccine was 50% effective overall at preventing Covid-19 among people in South Africa. In late stage results from the UK, the vaccine was up to 89.3% effective.

On Friday, Johnson & Johnson said that a single shot of its vaccine was 66% effective, judging by a large scale trial which spanned three continents. In the US, which recorded its first cases of the South African variant this week, efficacy reached 72%, but it was just 57% in South Africa, where the new variants constituted 95% of the coronavirus cases in the trial.

The Guardian twisting a story to find the worst possible angle there. As usual these days sadly.

Brussels has backed down from plans to impose export controls on vaccines that threatened the shipment of 3.5million Pfizer doses to Britain.

Commission President Ursula von der Leyen made the assurance to Boris Johnson after announcing an extraordinary embargo on jabs leaving the bloc amid dwindling supplies on the Continent.

26 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

The Guardian twisting a story to find the worst possible angle there. As usual these days sadly.

Absolutely. They still have a efficacy which is similar to that of the flu vaccine based on some of @Toilet Duck’s posts. Also presumably they can be modified for new variants? There’s a lot to be optimistic about. 

1 minute ago, zero000 said:

Absolutely. They still have a efficacy which is similar to that of the flu vaccine based on some of @Toilet Duck’s posts. Also presumably they can be modified for new variants? There’s a lot to be optimistic about. 

The key is them preventing serious cases, and the guardian leaves that (very good figure of 89%) until the second to last paragraph, when it's probably the most important bit of info!

Despite the new variant, experts said that existing vaccines were still valuable in the fight against coronavirus, and Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine was 89% effective at preventing severe disease in South Africa.

I feel like the recent UK-EU vaccine argument is the first of many such fights worldwide over the next few years as the vaccines are rolled out. This one felt a little overblown - partly due to AstraZeneca's factory being the problem and partly due to the EU panicking and going for a wild over-reaction. On that note, I don't think it's a stretch to think Brexit is terrible and be bemused why the EU over-reacted so quickly in a way that damaged their argument.

But anyway, given there's talk it'll take years for the fight to come to South America and Africa due to the wealthier nations calling dibs, and the logistical hassle of vaccinating the mass populations of China and India while those two are also making vaccines for neighbours, I can't help but think this kind of argument over who gets what vaccine where and when is going to happen a lot. Which is a bit of a depressing thought tbh.

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I feel like the recent UK-EU vaccine argument is the first of many such fights worldwide over the next few years as the vaccines are rolled out. This one felt a little overblown - partly due to AstraZeneca's factory being the problem and partly due to the EU panicking and going for a wild over-reaction. On that note, I don't think it's a stretch to think Brexit is terrible and be bemused why the EU over-reacted so quickly in a way that damaged their argument.

But anyway, given there's talk it'll take years for the fight to come to South America and Africa due to the wealthier nations calling dibs, and the logistical hassle of vaccinating the mass populations of China and India while those two are also making vaccines for neighbours, I can't help but think this kind of argument over who gets what vaccine where and when is going to happen a lot. Which is a bit of a depressing thought tbh.

hopefully as production ramps up in many areas this will become less of an issue .... we now are potentially over supplied in the uk later on in the year ... so hopefully at this point they go to the needy countries .... if not before 

3 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

From the guardian's feed, not great news:

Two new Covid-19 vaccines less effective against South African strain, early data suggests

Data from two coronavirus vaccine trials has indicated that they are less effective against the South African variant of coronavirus.

Clinical trial data showed that the vaccines from The vaccines from Novavax Inc and Johnson & Johnson were significantly less effective at preventing coronavirus in trial participants in South Africa, where the new variant is widespread, compared with countries where the variant is less common.

Novavax reported that results from mid-stage trials on Thursday that showed its vaccine was 50% effective overall at preventing Covid-19 among people in South Africa. In late stage results from the UK, the vaccine was up to 89.3% effective.

On Friday, Johnson & Johnson said that a single shot of its vaccine was 66% effective, judging by a large scale trial which spanned three continents. In the US, which recorded its first cases of the South African variant this week, efficacy reached 72%, but it was just 57% in South Africa, where the new variants constituted 95% of the coronavirus cases in the trial.

Just to add to what others have said about the guardian playing this in the worst possible light.

When HIV+ individuals are removed from Novavax the protection Against SA variant increases to about 65%.

The J&J trial in SA was potentially too small to be able to give accurate efficacy figures.

Even without that they still give a protection against the virus of over 50% which is the minimum threshold they need to reach to be distributed to a population 

If these were our only options we'd still be injecting it into people's arms.

Not great news in comparison to Pfizer but still plenty effective in allowing us to bring the pandemic under control and stop it.