When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Just like the politicians you hate, deliberately dodging the question.

So you are really happy picking up on me not answering your question but won’t respond to my comments about people loved ones dying early when they could’ve had more time with them?

I deliberately didn’t answer because you are trying to pull a stunt. My views on the lockdown have been well documented here. Let’s make it about me and what I think to deflect from the real issue that the government have caused.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess I'm naive, but I would have had a lot more respect for Hancock if he had said the actual number of tests carried out yesterday,  and to say they have made a lot of progress but not as much as hoped for...and they will try to reach at least 100k tests/day soon. And then go on to say explain what the actual point of all these tests are.

And I think a lot of people would too. I know I would. Not just this, but some version of 'look, we fucked it at the start, we know that but we are learning from our mistakes and getting better at this' would help too. I have a lot of time for people who can admit they've fucked up

Gets them ahead of negative press too

"Government admit they fucked up but are now doing much better" seems like a much less damning headline than "Exclusive: Here are all the ways the government fucked up and tried to hide it"

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, they'll get away with it too. The headline will be 100k tests per day target met. Classic Dom.

Some people tested more than once.

Screenshot_2020-05-01-18-37-07-709_com.devhd.feedly.jpg

Edited by e9t3

36 minutes ago, jparx said:

Some of those questions were shite today. "Is late summer a realistic timescale to plan to go on holiday?" What fucking planet are they on?

There will be lots of people going on holiday, as people will have already booked something and received travel documents,  therefore will count as having been on holiday.

Edited by Cherry Tree
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It won’t make any difference, it never does anymore. What else needs to happen for the people to turn on them?

maybe 26,000 plus deaths of peoples friends and family members might make some difference .... although who knows ... 

Proper spin circle in today's briefing:

• Got every man and his dog to post test kits out to meet targets
  • Making new babies to replace those coffin dodgers that have died (It made me so mad this one and that is not a dig at fertility treatment at all I may add, it was just how they announced it before telling you the death figs))
  • Diss Germany's better control of the virus as they didn't have the same level of virus as the UK - anti-EU folk will love that
  • We are world leaders in handling this virus apparently (I'm sure that's how it was phrased)
  • Whilst I'm glad they are finally sorting the track and tracing, the fact that they have been so dismissive of this previously and now its the 2nd reckoning which we all knew as it was working in other countries (but obviously don't give credit to Germany on that one). Plus bigging up a million tests, there is a PR vid too as if this is a success when announcing 27K people have died so far
  • Doubling now on not comparing "our success" against other countries

I really need to stop watching them as can't cope with the constant spin and manipulation of info to make out we are doing well!! 

38 minutes ago, jparx said:

Some of those questions were shite today. "Is late summer a realistic timescale to plan to go on holiday?" What fucking planet are they on?

That's exactly the question I and my business could do with an answer to.

8 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

That's exactly the question I and my business could do with an answer to.

I didn't mean for that to come across as callous - I completely sympathise and there are questions I really need answers as well re: students returning to university in September, but I just think they're clearly not going to answer those questions when they're refusing to speculate on things in the coming weeks, let alone months. I'd rather see them really pressed on the fudged testing figures than ask a question where we already know the answer is "we can't confirm that yet". Unfortunately none of us are going to get the answers we need yet.

Hopefully they set out a roadmap next week and we can have some tentative idea.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Proper spin circle in today's briefing:

• Got every man and his dog to post test kits out to meet targets
  • Making new babies to replace those coffin dodgers that have died (It made me so mad this one and that is not a dig at fertility treatment at all I may add, it was just how they announced it before telling you the death figs))
  • Diss Germany's better control of the virus as they didn't have the same level of virus as the UK - anti-EU folk will love that
  • We are world leaders in handling this virus apparently (I'm sure that's how it was phrased)
  • Whilst I'm glad they are finally sorting the track and tracing, the fact that they have been so dismissive of this previously and now its the 2nd reckoning which we all knew as it was working in other countries (but obviously don't give credit to Germany on that one). Plus bigging up a million tests, there is a PR vid too as if this is a success when announcing 27K people have died so far
  • Doubling now on not comparing "our success" against other countries

I really need to stop watching them as can't cope with the constant spin and manipulation of info to make out we are doing well!! 

It all feels very Orwellian, especially after today.

The tests they are banging on about in the current way are pretty pointless anyway to be honest. Ive had it. The test wasnt like on the news. You are doing it yourself in a car after driving x amount of miles whilst feeling literally like death (obviously that will be slightly different now theyve opened up the testing criteria). I ached just sitting upright let alone swab myself an inch up my nostril and by my tonsils without gagging or touching tongue etc. It came back negative. Was told to presume it was positive as 30percent failure rate in tests anyway and only a,small window of time it actually registers. Male and 49 btw. If i did have it i wouldnt wish it on my enemy. Im vaguely fit (not run a marathon but did 35mile walk last year for fun).  Im rambling but until it affects your personal life (also had family members not so lucky ) its easy to be distracted by the who does what well. Get thru it ; lets all get thru it and then lets judge everyone who needs to be accounted

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Might give ye an idea of steps towards reopening...Ireland’s plan just published. Can’t imagine other plans will be all that different...has a timeline.

https://assets.gov.ie/73722/ffd17d70fbb64b498fd809dde548f411.pdf

That's an interesting plan, phases seem well thought out. Festivals ok from 10th Aug should interest people here 😁 (if all goes well and off the UK plan is similar of course). Thanks for posting @Toilet Duck

4 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

That's an interesting plan, phases seem well thought out. Festivals ok from 10th Aug should interest people here 😁 (if all goes well and off the UK plan is similar of course). Thanks for posting @Toilet Duck

No haircut til July 20th though, I knew I should’ve had a trim before lockdown! 

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Might give ye an idea of steps towards reopening...Ireland’s plan just published. Can’t imagine other plans will be all that different...has a timeline.

https://assets.gov.ie/73722/ffd17d70fbb64b498fd809dde548f411.pdf

A proposal for grownups, not sure this this sort of discussion document will catch on when we can just manipulate data to set an agenda.