When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

28 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Whereas you criticise them for absolutely everything irrespective of the circumstances, so what’s the difference?

This isn’t anywhere near over yet, so we don’t know who was right and who was wrong for many different things, so I’d rather reserve judgement for later on when we can really say what decisions were correct or not.

With regards to the testing, isn’t 100,000 a rather convenient number? As long as we have the ability to test who we need to, which we now appear to be able to, then isn’t it just pointless pedantry to be quibbling over whether we actually tested that many or not? Specifically because 100,000 was chosen which obviously isn’t the actual scientific number that we need to be testing anyway.

You do realise I didn’t set the ‘convenient’ number of 100k test don’t you? That was chosen by the Health Secretary, if he wants to pluck that number out of thin air then I will hold him to account if he doesn’t achieve that.

I will hold them to account for their disastrous handling of this virus because it has directly cost lives. The 3rd highest in the world, which was behind many others at the start. If we don’t look at those numbers and think this is an absolute travesty then there is something wrong with this country. 26.5 thousand people have died, to say this isn’t over yet so we can’t judge the position is in my opinion extremely disrespectful to those people. When will be an ok time to view the position, at the end when the memories of how things are now will have faded?

Edited by Ozanne
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They need to increase the numner of tests if they want to attempt the contact tracing thing, which seems to be the way to go at the moment. He set it to 100k as govt were getting a lot of flack at the time so that was a nice distraction...and you could argue that setting this goal has concentrated minds and they are certainly going in the right direction. Now they have to actually make good use of all this test data. Not sure I'm bothered if they actually hit 100k a day or not, I am bothered they pretty much stopped testing once they moved into the delay phase...and also that they neglected to protect their wonderful NHS front line workers they blab on about as if they actually give a shit.

27 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You do realise I didn’t set the ‘convenient’ number of 100k test don’t you? That was chosen by the Health Secretary, if he wants to pluck that number out of thin air then I will hold him to account if he doesn’t achieve that.

I will hold them to account for their disastrous handling of this virus because it has directly cost lives. The 3rd highest in the world, which was behind many others at the start. If we don’t look at those numbers and think this is an absolute travesty then there is something wrong with this country. 26.5 thousand people have died, to say this isn’t over yet so we can’t judge the position is in my opinion extremely disrespectful to those people. When will be an ok time to view the position, at the end when the memories of how things are now will have faded?

How can you possibly judge it now? There is no end to this until we reach herd immunity, either through vaccine or enough of us getting it, whether it becomes endemic is another issue entirely. Until that point is reached the virus will remain in circulation in all countries that have it and people will continue to die, just potentially in lower numbers over a longer period. That’s not being disrespectful thats just simple common sense.

Can you tell me how any of those 26500 lives that might have been saved now, could reasonably have avoided the virus over another year or so? 

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

How can you possibly judge it now? There is no end to this until we reach herd immunity, either through vaccine or enough of us getting it, whether it becomes endemic is another issue entirely. Until that point is reached the virus will remain in circulation in all countries that have it and people will continue to die, just potentially in lower numbers over a longer period. That’s not being disrespectful thats just simple common sense.

Can you tell me how any of those 26500 lives that might have been saved now, could reasonably have avoided the virus over another year or so? 

Because it’s happening now, why not do both? Those people were taken from their families early. Some of those people would still be alive today, I’m sure those families would love just an extra day or week with their loved ones. It is being disrespectful to dismiss our current position because it hasn’t ended yet.

There’s no guarantee they will die later on if we had have locked down earlier as you never know what might happen but the lack of action at the start and the relaxed attitude of the PM will have led to some of those deaths. I understand the premise of living with the virus and herd immunity but if we could have taken any actions to keep some of those people alive even if just for a few months we should have taken them. The fact we didn’t is a complete travesty.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

There's a chance I might get hit by a car this year so I'm going to go over to the M60 to get it out of the way now.

Or you could just avoid the M60 altogether, you don’t have to use it, you have the option to avoid it quite happily for the rest of your life. Doing so won’t affect you negatively in any way shape or from... maybe just the odd slightly longer journey. Maybe the government could go one step further and just close all roads and ban cars, that way nobody could die in an RTA.

It would be good if an extremely virulent virus with no treatment or vaccine worked the same way, it would certainly help your analogy make sense. 

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Because it’s happening now, why not do both? Those people were taken from their families early. Some of those people would still be alive today, I’m sure those families would love just an extra day or week with their loved ones. It is being disrespectful to dismiss our current position because it hasn’t ended yet.

There’s no guarantee they will die later on if we had have locked down earlier as you never know what might happen but the lack of action at the start and the relaxed attitude of the PM will have led to some of those deaths. I understand the premise of living with the virus and herd immunity but if we could have taken any actions to keep some of those people alive even if just for a few months we should have taken them. The fact we didn’t is a complete travesty.

So presumably you disagree with easing lockdown at some point then?

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

EW8h2c8XgAAd0H4.jpg:large

Fucking hell, in what world does number of tests (some sent out in the post), take precedence over people tested per day ? Completely fudging the figures and overlooking the fact that  testing is only part of the picture. Without effective, rapid contact tracing the utility of testing is limited. 

Edited by zero000

1 minute ago, zero000 said:

Fucking hell, in what world does number of tests (some sent out in the post), take precedence over people tested per day ? Completely fudging the figures and overlooking the fact that  testing is only part of the picture. Without effective, rapid contact tracing the utility of testing is limited. 

yeah, they'll get away with it too. The headline will be 100k tests per day target met. Classic Dom.

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, they'll get away with it too. The headline will be 100k tests per day target met. Classic Dom.

i do wonder what the medical experts think of this .... Id love one to turn around and say I cant be doing with this shit and walk off ...

I guess I'm naive, but I would have had a lot more respect for Hancock if he had said the actual number of tests carried out yesterday,  and to say they have made a lot of progress but not as much as hoped for...and they will try to reach at least 100k tests/day soon. And then go on to say explain what the actual point of all these tests are.

But, I guess that doesn't look as good a headline.