When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

42 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Flatmate keeps seeing his friends, and bringing them here. Told him he needs to stop it, especially because I have health issues which make me more vulnerable to the virus. He's still bringing friends over.

Reported him to the police via some online form but was told they can't really do anything about it as it's not in a public place.

Need a plan C 🙃

Man, that's bang out of order.

Well run pubs are vital community assets and should be a priority for the government to safeguard. The amount of time they may have to stay shut, with some PubCos still charging rent is a real worry.

My local is a brilliant pub that is a real asset to the community. We've got a mutual support group going where some of the younger regulars ring and check in on some of the older ones and do a bit of shopping. One bloke who I rang, not a man who you'd think of as especially prone to emotion, you could tell in his voice was close to tears when talking about his worries for the pub staying open. Shows how important pubs are in the fabric of our lives. On a brighter note he did tell me he's been putting away what he would spend there each week so when he gets back he'll be handing over a few hundred quid for his first pint, which I think is a really nice idea for those that can afford to do so and something I'll be doing too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

On the Beeb this morning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52496636

Not sounding optimistic for pubs and gig venues for some time...

This is why I said I don’t think festivals will happen with extra social distancing and hygiene measures, they just won’t happen at all. Applying any measures at festivals would be pissing in the wind, and as they’re entirely non essential they just won’t happen. Any measures you put in place would be cancelled out as soon as you have a few people in a tent together.

So I think that’s definitely it for any festivals this year, but that said I really don’t think it  will affect next year, at least on paper. One way or another we’ll have much greater herd immunity, a vaccine or its endemic anyway and we just have to learn to live with it which in a year we will have done.

Some festivals could be affected by demand, either through people not wanting to go or through the economy being wrecked. Glastonbury would be fine either way but some might go the wall. Anecdotally just getting a feel through social media, any festivals that predominantly cater to a younger crowd will be fine, as long as people can still afford to go. If anything there is huge pent up demand there.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

14 hours ago, zahidf said:

suspect garden centres will be opening up for sure. Maybe hairdressers? A lot will depend on how the other countries go. Theyll let people go see family and friends in houses as well I reckon

14 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

im going to give my hairdresser double .... hes got a lot to get through ... in fact a trip to get some garden sheers might be a good idea at the garden centre first ...

I don’t think hairdressers, beauty salons or anything with close contact and turnover of people will be open for ages. 

That’s why I now have a covid cut - grade 2 all over 😂

Aye, can't see hairdressers and beauty salons yet.

I think garden centres will open, and maybe shops like DFS. Those stores strike me as a bit more straightforward to implement social distancing and you can funnel them around the shop a bit easier.

46 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

My local Homebase is already open, they’ve opened 40 nationwide. There is also at least one independent open near me as well.

They haven’t actually been forced to close I don’t think ... it’s been voluntary whilst they get social distancing in place ... I think a combination of things will help my confidence on hairdressers ... appointments seems logical , hairdresser wearing a mask and the contact tracing app taking off and being used ... I’ve also seen something on the bbc about dogs smelling the virus and hopefully if it comes to it might be helpful for festivals 

11 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Appointment only, both wear masks and gloves, everything disinfected between customers. It can work.

Well for businesses as long as they continue the support they're doing that's not a problem. For individuals... it's trickier but maybe not in the way you think. The point of easing restrictions is to start to get more people catching it so building up that immunity, while not overwhelming the NHS by having too many people catch it.

If a few people don't like and also go out and get themselves sick, then it's not a huge deal.  

True as it'll have to be (I don't have any belief in a vaccine in September but I guess some need "good news") I'm still so uncomfortable with this, it's such a "survival of the fittest" approach. Which feeds into the horrible uncaring selfish way the country has descended. The Tories will be loving it.

Having seen a report on South Korea and Vietnam yesterday, and reading about New Zealand, I'm struck by this uneasy feeling about us not being allowed to make comparisons. It is possible to test and trace your way out of deaths but we just seem ideologically opposed to it. Our government is somehow making out our current situation is a success which astounds me and doesnt fill me with confidence for what will be considered 'success' in future 

Edited by efcfanwirral

28 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

True as it'll have to be (I don't have any belief in a vaccine in September but I guess some need "good news") I'm still so uncomfortable with this, it's such a "survival of the fittest" approach. Which feeds into the horrible uncaring selfish way the country has descended. The Tories will be loving it.

Having seen a report on South Korea and Vietnam yesterday, and reading about New Zealand, I'm struck by this uneasy feeling about us not being allowed to make comparisons. It is possible to test and trace your way out of deaths but we just seem ideologically opposed to it. Our government is somehow making out our current situation is a success which astounds me and doesnt fill me with confidence for what will be considered 'success' in future 

Time will tell. The government have definitely screwed up in terms of PPE, tests, care homes etc....but they have stopped the health services being overwhelmed as they were in Lombardy and other places in Italy, so I guess that is some sort of victory. But if we do end up with the highest number of deaths in Europe, especially when we could see what was happening in Italy and Spain, then questions will need to be asked. But, this is war time right? So we mustn't question our leaders.

Anyway, we're in the middle of it...have to see how we end up doing compared to others after this is over, when ever that will be.

Edited by steviewevie

Johnson is trying to frame it as a success because he knows it’s been a bit of a disaster (in the beginning at least) and his legal council have likely told him there’s going to be an enquiry when all this is over so he’s busy trying to set the narrative. I heard his speech. Favourable public opinion will be his best defence if there is an enquiry. 

Just now, Madyaker said:

Johnson is trying to frame it as a success because he knows it’s been a bit of a disaster (in the beginning at least) and his legal council have likely told him there’s going to be an enquiry when all this is over so he’s busy trying to set the narrative. I heard his speech. Favourable public opinion will be his best defence if there is an enquiry. 

They will always just say they followed scientific advice.

20 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

What will it take for people to realise what’s happened here? It’s incredible. The narrative I see being spun now is that we can’t compare to other countries. We might as well just ignore all numbers completely then if nothing actually matters.

Those absolute fucking idiots bleated on at Ed Miliband for years about the reckless spending of the Labour government. Now when the shoe is on the other foot we can’t possibly criticise our precious Tory overlords.

Where are the Testing figures for yesterday? Funny how every other day they are available fairly quickly but not this one. I guess it takes a bit longer to work how to spin it so they haven’t failed in the target that they had no need to set in the first place.

59 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It’s not survival of the fittest, it’s real life. No government can prop their entire country up financially for an indefinite period. Easing of lockdown and returning to some sort of semblance of normality will happen in every single country affected by corona.

Every person in this country has the choice to lock themselves in their home indefinitely if they so wish, but I don’t think it’s a reasonable expectation for the government to support them to do this financially forever.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Flatmate keeps seeing his friends, and bringing them here. Told him he needs to stop it, especially because I have health issues which make me more vulnerable to the virus. He's still bringing friends over.

Reported him to the police via some online form but was told they can't really do anything about it as it's not in a public place.

Need a plan C 🙃

thats a really tough one without causing difficulties in the longer term ... ive lived in shared houses where ive had some really big fallings out with others ....I dont know how often its happening but is there any way you can avoid these visitors ? go for a  walk ... shut yourself away (by no means ideal ) and you shouldn't have to ....but main thing is to avoid being in the same room and maintain good hand washing practises along with avoidance of putting things in mouth .... dont know if its scientific or not but keep windows open and allow air to circulate as much as you can 

So we've had two, what seem to be overly optimistic and really bullish estimates about vaccines from Oxford and the US. Fingers crossed their optimism is well founded, otherwise they're really playing with peoples hopes! Talk of being able to vaccinate people in the Autumn seems incredibly hopeful but hey, team Oxford all the way at this point. Could use some hope as long as it's tempered!

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s not survival of the fittest, it’s real life. No government can prop their entire country up financially for an indefinite period. Easing of lockdown and returning to some sort of semblance of normality will happen in every single country affected by corona.

Every person in this country has the choice to lock themselves in their home indefinitely if they so wish, but I don’t think it’s a reasonable expectation for the government to support them to do this financially forever.

This is true, but other countries will do it while saving lives, ours will prevent "overwhelming the NHS" - that is a very different set of circumstances and measures required. The amount who died so far didn't overwhelm the NHS, when there are alternatives available to keep deaths down that we haven't taken (and stopped very early). So my concern is that we're going to reopen to those targets, rather than both keeping people safe AND sorting out the economy. 

38 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

This is true, but other countries will do it while saving lives, ours will prevent "overwhelming the NHS" - that is a very different set of circumstances and measures required. The amount who died so far didn't overwhelm the NHS, when there are alternatives available to keep deaths down that we haven't taken (and stopped very early). So my concern is that we're going to reopen to those targets, rather than both keeping people safe AND sorting out the economy. 

I think that if by some miracle we do get a vaccine that works in September, then you can definitely say unnecessary lives were lost in the U.K compared to other countries. If we don’t and a vaccine isn’t available for say a year, then my personal opinion is it won’t make a difference in the long run. 

Any lives already lost in the U.K. that would’ve been spared from acting earlier would now need to completely avoid the virus indefinitely. As it’s not possible to remain in this state of lockdown indefinitely then the virus will persist regardless of how aggressively we contact trace. I think for anybody that was shielded now, shielding them for another year or so would be very difficult, especially when I’m talking about alternate realties when the people who otherwise might have died don’t know it’s deadly to them.

The only thing you might get is a kind of sliding doors scenario, somebody who had died already might end up surviving because they somehow avoid it, but somebody who otherwise might have survived dies, because they catch it from somebody who might have already had it, but didn’t because we locked down sooner so they catch it later on.

That all probably sounds like a load of rubbish, but what I’m trying to say is that in the absence of a vaccine there will be continual deaths, but acting sooner might have changed who eventually dies from it but not necessarily the overall number.

Either way we won’t know the answer to this until a long way down the line, or if we do get a vaccine in September.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

18 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess we have to credit the government for hitting a testing target that I didnt think they would ..... I guess the more important thing is what they do from here with that data ? 

Where have you seen that?

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Where have you seen that?

I saw a big grin on Matt hancocks face when he was asked today ..... they hit 81,000 yesterday I think .... so won't be far away ... theres also bits on bbc news website about them probably hitting it ...

13 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I’d usually be using the local tanning salon around this time of year but I’ve managed to do ok without it last month.

7C4B3D42-3275-4D48-886A-593CAE5E531E.jpeg

I missing the sunbed so much :( I usually go about 4 times a week all year round. I'm so pale right now I'm almost see through!

Just now, Wellyboot said:

I missing the sunbed so much :( I usually go about 4 times a week all year round. I'm so pale right now I'm almost see through!

whats happened to going out in the sun ? ive got some colour on me from my daily exercise .... those with gardens im so Jealous ...  and those with Gardens and amazing views ...