When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

Maths not my forte - but looking forward to hearing you explain how a drop in Starmer's rating from 41 to 38 equates to him losing the support of "most of the party membership".

It also overlooks that the public overwhelmingly support the decision to suspend Corbyn. Starmer has improved by 10 points with Tory voters after this (admittedly still negative though).

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Yet Vallance and Whitty got torn apart by some people on Twitter for those estimates as being doomsayers. 

And on these boards, by the same people who are now criticising them for being too optimistic in their projections

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm fully behind lockdown but at the same time very uncomfortable with us all demanding more of our freedoms are removed again, this time likely harsher and for longer. 

These types of powers have a history of not being fully returned....

They were mostly returned before and way tooooo early, the government is pro freedom, they literally have put off locking down for far too long because they didn't want to lose out on business and become a nanny state.

Also if the timing is to be believed the lockdown is shorter than last one as it's a month, obviously that could change during. - But there is no threat of authoritarianism here, even in "dictator" states like china, they got their businesses, cinemas etc back when the virus spread slowed.

Understand a teeny tiny concern for losing your freedom, but come on this far into the crisis when the government have shown their true colours as people who value "british common sense" over actually implementing laws that will stop the virus, Bojo is hardly big brother. - I think a big problem is that people act like everything is an attack on freedom when it's not. 

"Oh i have to wear a mask, that's authoritarian " - If that's the case, then being made to wear clothes at all in public is authoritarian. (it is a little bit, but it's for the public safety in civil society)

If anything this government have been anti authoritarian because they just voted on not feeding school children as not to "nationalize children"

EDIT: Still scum though

Edited by ace56blaa
  • Upvote 1

Off for a test at 2.30pm due to a cough which has shown up since yesterday evening along with a tight chest.

Feel fine otherwise...

Gutted as we were meeting friends this evening for dinner in Bath. Only our 2nd evening out since our daughter was born in January :(

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm fully behind lockdown but at the same time very uncomfortable with us all demanding more of our freedoms are removed again, this time likely harsher and for longer. 

These types of powers have a history of not being fully returned....

Although I 100% agree that it's important to be keeping an eye on the types of powers this government are able to weild unchecked, ultimately they're the party that represents the interest of capitalism and business – and that requires people to be out, working, spending money, living life, and partaking in society.

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Off for a test at 2.30pm due to a cough which has shown up since yesterday evening along with a tight chest.

Feel fine otherwise...

Gutted as we were meeting friends this evening for dinner in Bath. Only our 2nd evening out since our daughter was born in January :(

Ah shame. Good luck 

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Feel fine otherwise...

Good luck mate, I hope you’ll be ok.

6 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

They were mostly returned before and way tooooo early, the government is pro freedom, they literally have put off locking down for far too long because they didn't want to lose out on business and become a nanny state.

Also if the timing is to be believed the lockdown is shorter than last one as it's a month, obviously that could change during. - But there is no threat of authoritarianism here, even in "dictator" states like china, they got their businesses, cinemas etc back when the virus spread slowed.

Understand a teeny tiny concern for losing your freedom, but come on this far into the crisis when the government have shown their true colours as people who value "british common sense" over actually implementing laws that will stop the virus, Bojo is hardly big brother. - I think a big problem is that people act like everything is an attack on freedom when it's not. 

"Oh i have to wear a mask, that's authoritarian " - If that's the case, then being made to wear clothes at all in public is authoritarian. (it is a little bit, but it's for the public safety in civil society)

If anything this government have been anti authoritarian because they just voted on not feeding school children as not to "nationalize children"

EDIT: Still scum though

Dont get me wrong I'm not an anti-lockdown person at all - I think that fully draconian, need papers to leave your home style measures are needed here. Because large amounts of some areas of the country are poorly educated, selfish and ridiculous. 

I'm not worried about MY freedom as my life hasn't really changed apart from not going to gigs (and I've made peace with that being in the past now), just makes me uncomfortable when we demand these measures. Including myself. 

I know this government is pro freedom for now, but what they care about above everything else is preserving power, and maybe brexit in the short term) so I'd imagine nothing is off the table 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Although I 100% agree that it's important to be keeping an eye on the types of powers this government are able to weild unchecked, ultimately they're the party that represents the interest of capitalism and business – and that requires people to be out, working, spending money, living life, and partaking in society.

Its possible to have both- I'm not saying we'll be locked down forever but I can see the hangovers from the lockdowns meaning everything is tracked even more than it is now.

Not a judgement either way - why wouldn't a government use the technology available to monitor its population? It's what they're there for in right wing countries ultimately- to keep power and wealth consolidated and they'll use every means necessary to do that. 

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Wait a minute - Boris can't announce a lockdown tonight can he? Hasn't it got to be in Parliament first?

He’s been giving warnings for it before, I don’t think the Speaker can actually do much of any consequence though.

We really need to hear from the PM today.  

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

4pm press conference. Some talk that Boris wants to impose lockdown measures on Scotland and Wales by changing it from a health matter to home office 

Announcing it during the last five minutes of the Wales v Scotland Rugby Match. A fluky coincidence or a devious distraction?

• Upvote 1