When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

I can't be the only one who had never heard of Pagel until this thread. Never seen her on the news or anything else. I bet if I went down to my high street & asked 100 people "What do you think of Christina Pagel?", 99 of the answers would be "Who?"

Should she be silenced because she has a different opinion to you? That's not the kind of country I want to live in.

No I'd never heard of her either. None of my friends or family would know who she is. Basically I read pages and pages about her in here every two days or so but that's it.

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

In the end it's a balance. I mean ideally you'd wait till everyone vaccinated before opening up, but these are people's lives and livelihoods too...so you weigh up the risks and make a decision. That's what is happening, and looks like decision is open up. 

I own a small hospitality business. Many of our staff are young and not yet double jabbed... actually the removal of masks at this stage is more of a risk to our business than anything else.

From a responsibility/morality standpoint we have to protect them because there is inherently more risk. From a business standpoint anyone not double jabbed still needs to quarantine....if we lose any of our staff we'd have to close for at least some of the time (without government support). If I insist that my customers still wear masks I'll lose business. 

Appreciate that things need to open up. But it's not as clear cut as remove restrictions = better for all businesses.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There goes AZ 😞

At this point it's not the supply of Pfizer or the reluctance to issue further AZ first doses that's the issue or causing the slowdown.

Anyone who wants a first Pfizer dose, or after 8 weeks a second, could have had it done this week on a walk in basis at what appears to be a majority of locations. Anecdotally it sounds like most places are now operating well below capacity and queues where they exist are usually under 5 minutes.

We're starting to hit the point where vaccine hesitancy is an issue.

11 minutes ago, incident said:

At this point it's not the supply of Pfizer or the reluctance to issue further AZ first doses that's the issue or causing the slowdown.

Anyone who wants a first Pfizer dose, or after 8 weeks a second, could have had it done this week on a walk in basis at what appears to be a majority of locations. Anecdotally it sounds like most places are now operating well below capacity and queues where they exist are usually under 5 minutes.

We're starting to hit the point where vaccine hesitancy is an issue.

Another thing I hadn't thought about slowing vaccinations down is COVID itself. My 18 year old nephew was booked in to get vaccinated last week, but got the virus, so has been unable to get jabbed, hoping to have it next week.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Another thing I hadn't thought about slowing vaccinations down is COVID itself. My 18 year old nephew was booked in to get vaccinated last week, but got the virus, so has been unable to get jabbed, hoping to have it next week.

Pretty sure it says not to within 28 days of a positive PCR on the form when you book - it's one of the questions. there must be a good reason for that

33 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'm surprised at the talk of getting rid of masks - for places the vulnerable HAVE to go it should probably say (supermarkets, public transport). There's an argument that maybe not pubs, but then again if there's enough of a problem groups need to be worried, is releasing things to the extent being talked about even a good idea at all? 

I can certainly understand keeping masks on public transport. It’s unavoidable and puts people in close proximity, often for a sustained period of times. Shops and pubs seem less of an issue to me.

Just now, Ozanne said:

It says he's going to 'outline plans' for certain things such as 1 meter rule and WFH. That sounds like they might be amended but not necessarily scrapped completely?

Papers gave been briefed that social distancing is being ended. I dont see how it can retained and still have 'freedom'

WFH may be caveated I can seen and same with masks. But distancing needs to be in the bin asap

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Papers gave been briefed that social distancing is being ended. I dont see how it can retained and still have 'freedom'

WFH may be caveated I can seen and same with masks. But distancing needs to be in the bin asap

Maybe I'm reading too much into the actual wording used in that press release, I probably have done it just jumped out to me whilst reading it.

I wonder if they will keep various aspects like recommending WFH.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into the actual wording used in that press release, I probably have done it just jumped out to me whilst reading it.

I wonder if they will keep various aspects like recommending WFH.

Apparently WFH guidance remaining, and travel restrictions not changing, not yet anyway