When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

40 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Early onset dementia.

Estimated impact of Step 3 alone Any resurgence in hospital admissions and deaths following Step 3 of the Roadmap alone is highly unlikely to put unsustainable pressure on the NHS, however, the full impact of Step 3 changes will not be seen in these data until at least mid-June

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/984521/S1227_SPI-M-O_Summary_of_further_modelling_of_easing_restrictions_Roadmap_Step_3__2_.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/988403/S1236_Eighty-nineth_SAGE.pdf

That goes in-line with the 5 week period in-between the steps, as they'd review the data and then the week before they will decide if we can proceed with the upcoming step of the roadmap. It seems slightly early if they are going to say how things will be by the end of next week based on that I'd think.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

That goes in-line with the 5 week period in-between the steps, as they'd review the data and then the week before they will decide if we can proceed with the upcoming step of the roadmap. It seems slightly early if they are going to say how things will be by the end of next week based on that I'd think.

Yup. I was was just pointing out that there is no evidence that SAGE called for a delay to the May roadmap stage that there was some frothing about.

• Upvote 1

This summer's Olympics will go ahead even if Tokyo remains in a state of a emergency, says International Olympic Committee vice-president John Coates.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57206885

The IOC really has Japan over a barrel with this. Apparently only the IOC can cancel the Games, and the Japanese can't cancel unilaterally.  Nightmare scenario for them. Too much money at stake.

1 minute ago, Copperface said:

This summer's Olympics will go ahead even if Tokyo remains in a state of a emergency, says International Olympic Committee vice-president John Coates.

The IOC really has Japan over a barrel with this. Apparently only the IOC can cancel the Games, and the Japanese can't cancel unilaterally.  Nightmare scenario for them. Too much money at stake.

it's so stupid. Can't see why they can't postpone to 2024 and Paris get olympics in 2028...is everything that set in stone?

The whole olympics thing will probably be dead in a decade or so anyway when international travel becomes a lot more constrained due to climate change etc

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I love Japan, but I find it really bizarre how outraged they are at hosting the Olympics, when they should really be outraged at Suga and his govt for utterly ballsing up their vaccine rollout and handling of the new wave. Had they not totally cocked it up, hosting the Olympics wouldn’t really be a concern. 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's so stupid. Can't see why they can't postpone to 2024 and Paris get olympics in 2028...is everything that set in stone?

The whole olympics thing will probably be dead in a decade or so anyway when international travel becomes a lot more constrained due to climate change etc

Surely now is the time to keep it constrained rather than bring it back then take it away again...

That is mad about the IOC essentially being above the government of the host country. A private organisation telling a government what to do. I wonder what other private companies have such power...

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

I love Japan, but I find it really bizarre how outraged they are at hosting the Olympics, when they should really be outraged at Suga and his govt for utterly ballsing up their vaccine rollout and handling of the new wave. Had they not totally cocked it up, hosting the Olympics wouldn’t really be a concern. 

They seem to have an innate cautiousness which serves well in some situations, but not in a rapidly spreading pandemic penetrating most corners of the world.

Interesting explanation here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/explainer-why-japan-has-been-slow-to-roll-out-vaccinations-japan-vaccine-pfizer-inc-explainer-tokyo-b1847373.html

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

They seem to have an innate cautiousness which serves well in some situations, but not in a rapidly spreading pandemic penetrating most corners of the world.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/explainer-why-japan-has-been-slow-to-roll-out-vaccinations-japan-vaccine-pfizer-inc-explainer-tokyo-b1847373.html

I mean...if it wasn't for the olympics we probably wouldn't be talking about Japan's slow vaccine rollout...they certainly weren't desperate like we were in W Europe. 

My missus is Japanese and her Mum could get vaccine apparently but isn't in any rush...it just doesn't have the same desperation and momentum over there I don't think. Most people just think the olympics is a silly idea at this time, and they're probably right....but Japan has spent a lot of money preparing for it...so are going to lose out massively.

5 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I was willing to cut them some slack at the start because I do get the history of vaccine hesitancy in the country and the reasons why they have the extra hoops to jump through to get them approved, but the govt has had plenty of time since approval to get a move on with this, and it seems like the demand is there. They’re opening up new centres in places like Hokkaido so hopefully it kicks in to gear. I always figured they’d be slow out the blocks but quickly catch up...still waiting!

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Probably not realistic. They could maybe shift Paris back a year, but 4 is too much of a stretch, and Tokyo is probably at the limit.

For all the valid complaints about white elephants (such as huge stadiums that are designed for Athletics and so are awful for a more profitable sport), a lot of the infrastructure built for the Olympics is earmarked for a distinct future use and so pushing the games back will come with a cost - the best example is the Athletes villages which generally become a huge housing development and while I don't know the specifics for Tokyo or Paris, it's fairly common for those apartments to be pre-sold miles ahead of time and presumably those contracts have an "move in" date in them. Every delay is going to mean increasing compensation, and if that delay cascades from Tokyo then it'll affect Paris as well and maybe even LA.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Probably not realistic. They could maybe shift Paris back a year, but 4 is too much of a stretch, and Tokyo is probably at the limit.

For all the valid complaints about white elephants (such as huge stadiums that are designed for Athletics and so are awful for a more profitable sport), a lot of the infrastructure built for the Olympics is earmarked for a distinct future use and so pushing the games back will come with a cost - the best example is the Athletes villages which generally become a huge housing development and while I don't know the specifics for Tokyo or Paris, it's fairly common for those apartments to be pre-sold miles ahead of time and presumably those contracts have an "move in" date in them. Every delay is going to mean increasing compensation, and if that delay cascades from Tokyo then it'll affect Paris as well and maybe even LA.

ok...just seems like with this major global crisis effecting everything they couldn't come up with something, as a gesture for Tokyo and Japan....but I guess money talks.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok...just seems like with this major global crisis effecting everything they couldn't come up with something, as a gesture for Tokyo and Japan....but I guess money talks.

Ok, to use London as an example - if that had been pushed back 4 years at the last minute, how would you come up with housing solutions for the 2,500+ people who'd collectively paid more than half a billion quid for their new properties, on the promise that they can move in during early 2013 and are now being told 2017?

Money is a huge part, of course, but it's not going to be the only obstacle. Some of the infrastructure that's been promised for other uses might actually be needed.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Ok, to use London as an example - if that had been pushed back 4 years at the last minute, how would you come up with housing solutions for the 2,500+ people who'd collectively paid more than half a billion quid for their new properties, on the promise that they can move in during early 2013 and are now being told 2017?

Money is a huge part, of course, but it's not going to be the only obstacle. Some of the infrastructure that's been promised for other uses might actually be needed.

ok, how about postpone Tokyo one more year and keep Paris at 2024? I don't know...I just see the whole thing being cancelled at moment.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok, how about postpone Tokyo one more year and keep Paris at 2024? I don't know...I just see the whole thing being cancelled at moment.

Because that would clash with the athletics World Championships. No way would the IAAF agree to that.

Edited by Copperface

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

That may well be more realistic - but without knowing the specifics of the situation in Tokyo (as I certainly don't), it seems foolish to judge as to what they should do.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

As much as I genuinely love the Olympics, there are over three million dead and rising (albeit at a slower rate). Cancellation or postponement is just collateral damage, is it not? Or is that a little too simplistic a take? 

I think for us, it is the logical step. For both Tokyo and the IOC, they'd probably go bankrupt. As said above, the money talks.

24 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

While Bolton still shit it isn't really spreading to the surrounding towns which is positive 

It is, in fact it's going down quite well in Stockport, but it's still quite unnerving having such dramatic rises nearby.

Bury is next door and although the numbers are currently lowish, they're rising faster than Bolton in % terms.

I guess that fact that it's so localises seems to be backing up the surge vaccination policy - they clearly need the jabs more than Oldham at the moment.