When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I imagine the tourism industry in Spain and Greece will be putting a lot of pressure on their govts to allow British people to travel there.

For EU countries the ECDC (European for Disease Prevention for Control) makes this final decision, which they have not made yet. They are working together with WHO and RKI. But the main question is (as I can not say this for sure) if this decision is binding for all EU countries.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

more and more sounds like this Indian variant won't affect the roadmap.

Dunno. Does it not imply that a full unlock might carry increased risk until most of the population has had two doses due to greatly reduced efficacy of one dose vs the current variants?

Therefore looking at end of August or September (depending on whether first doses are completed by either end June or July, and 8 weks after that?

Or is that me being a doom mongerer?

Just now, Copperface said:

Dunno. Does it not imply that a full unlock might carry increased risk until most of the population has had two doses due to greatly reduced efficacy of one dose vs the current variants?

Therefore looking at end of August or September (depending on whether first doses are completed by either end June or July, and 8 weks after that?

well...yeah, maybe.....but I just think Johnson will be really determined to hit that June 21st date...and if vaccines are doing a job amongst most of the vulnerable and it isn't spreading too much around the country...I think social distancing will be gone, but there will be a need for tests or covid certificates for certain things until everyone fully vaccinated.

9 minutes ago, Copperface said:

I don’t think you are being a doom mongerer. You read that a couple of different ways either it gives good efficacy or you need 2 doses for strong protection. Maybe it means they’ll be certain small measures are in place through the summer whilst 2nd doses get done then see where we are at after that.

8 minutes ago, Copperface said:

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well...yeah, maybe.....but I just think Johnson will be really determined to hit that June 21st date...and if vaccines are doing a job amongst most of the vulnerable and it isn't spreading too much around the country...I think social distancing will be gone, but there will be a need for tests or covid certificates for certain things until everyone fully vaccinated.

Yeah the second doses for the most vulnerable will be mainly done by 21st June and protecting "against symptomatic infection" has such a wide remit - you'd imagine a lot of those will just be a bit ill, which we're not trying to protect against, rather than bad enough to go to hospital. Remember even without the vaccine the vast majority of younger people wont be anywhere near bad enough to go to hospital

36 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah the second doses for the most vulnerable will be mainly done by 21st June and protecting "against symptomatic infection" has such a wide remit - you'd imagine a lot of those will just be a bit ill, which we're not trying to protect against, rather than bad enough to go to hospital. Remember even without the vaccine the vast majority of younger people wont be anywhere near bad enough to go to hospital

Yup exactly. That's excellent news about efficacy and more than enough to reopen.

Fake SAGE are devasted and thinks this means we need to lockdown now 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Yup exactly. That's excellent news about efficacy and more than enough to reopen.

Deepti Gurdasani isn’t part of Indy SAGE. 

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I mean, she isn't fake sage, independent sage, real sage, or any sage....but I guess she is an evil nerd boffin daring to want more caution.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Interesting that Novavax is better than adenovirus in that- shame its struggled for approval really because there would likely not have been the blood clot issues AND it seems better on some measures. 

Surely thats the one they should be looking at vaccinating children with? Whether you see it as a conspiracy or not there's zero way of knowing long term effects of the new technology and especially in a developing body. Novavax sounds like the most sensible option if we were worried about anything other than covid but I guess til it's eliminated it'll be all that matters 

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Interesting that Novavax is better than adenovirus in that- shame its struggled for approval really because there would likely not have been the blood clot issues AND it seems better on some measures. 

Surely thats the one they should be looking at vaccinating children with? Whether you see it as a conspiracy or not there's zero way of knowing long term effects of the new technology and especially in a developing body. Novavax sounds like the most sensible option if we were worried about anything other than covid but I guess til it's eliminated it'll be all that matters 

It'll be a question if we vaccinate children at all. 12-16 may be fine but under that?

Edited by zahidf

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean, she isn't fake sage, independent sage, real sage, or any sage....but I guess she is an evil nerd boffin daring to want more caution.

Nah she's poking holes in that good news, trying to find a reason to do a bit of doom mongering. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

It's like the whole Trump fake news thing.

Yep, just cast anyone with a different thought as fake, and don't discuss the merits of the facts.  I'm usually 12 hours behind catching up on this thread the next morning, whereas at the moment I'm sitting at home on a Saturday night because the city is shutdown because of a climate where the prevailing orthodoxy is not challenged.

37 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's like the whole Trump fake news thing.

No it isn't. I said months ago that I think ots out of order for them to call themselves indie SAGE because it's potentially confusing for members of the public and it (arrogantly in my opinion) elevates their opinion to a level to be the same as SAGE

I'm happy to continue mocking them by calling them fake SAGE on that basis 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just seen that my London borough is supposedly doing surge testing. Does that mean I should be getting one or something? I'm doing lateral flows quite regularly at the moment but I know that doesn't count.

Sounds like mainly in schools, but I don't mind doing a postal if they want me to. Anyone else been part of the surge testing thing?

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just seen that my London borough is supposedly doing surge testing. Does that mean I should be getting one or something? I'm doing lateral flows quite regularly at the moment but I know that doesn't count.

Check your local council twitter account. Should say on that what you'd need to do