When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think you are being a doom mongerer. You read that a couple of different ways either it gives good efficacy or you need 2 doses for strong protection. Maybe it means they’ll be certain small measures are in place through the summer whilst 2nd doses get done then see where we are at after that.

Nothing suggesting it won't prevent hospitalisations, which was originally the aim of the vaccines. If it doesn't look like causing problems for the NHS then it should be fine- we're not trying to stop people ever getting ill

Hospitalisations and NHS capacity should be our only concern or its completely disproportionate to the threat 

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Ha ha ha what a goober

How many times do you see wolves in a street?

ill tell you what he does need to do and thats remove that jacket .... does that idiot need to look at it to check for a reminder that hes PM !!! because at many times during the pandemic he seems to have forgotten 

20 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its why they have pulled forward the 2nd dose from 12 weeks to 8 weeks.  There may be a need to go to 4 weeks maybe - that is what I take from this.

That's where it gets a bit interesting- the data is all based on 12 weeks so how does 4 weeks affect that 

Hopefully none of this matters- if real world data like hospitalisations don't go crazy then we should be fine whichever choice is made 

25 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ill tell you what he does need to do and thats remove that jacket .... does that idiot need to look at it to check for a reminder that hes PM !!! because at many times during the pandemic he seems to have forgotten 

He just need to replace the words Prime Minister with c**t.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

8 to 12 weeks is the real sweet spot they think...  BUT all the trial data and most the world is doing 2 weeks (I think ?).  We are trading around a couple of % here and there to be honest for the end result and pushing the 2nd doses out was really more about getting more first doses which was right.   But if the Indian variant is a problem for 1st doses on Astra then its a no brainer to pull in to 2 to 4 weeks ?  if we have supply.

Yeah it makes sense. Quicker the over 40s are "fully vaccinated" the better, might make everyone a bit more chilled out about it all (in government I mean)

Edited by efcfanwirral

24 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

8 to 12 weeks is the real sweet spot they think...  BUT all the trial data and most the world is doing 2 weeks (I think ?).  We are trading around a couple of % here and there to be honest for the end result and pushing the 2nd doses out was really more about getting more first doses which was right.   But if the Indian variant is a problem for 1st doses on Astra then its a no brainer to pull in to 2 to 4 weeks ?  if we have supply.

Not for AZ, efficacy substantially improves with the longer gap (8-12 weeks optimum) but 3-4 weeks for Pfizer and Moderna no problem. The response after dose 1 looks a bit more durable for AZ, but wanes a bit after 4 weeks or so with the mRNA ones. I’d certainly drag dose 2 for the mRNA jabs back to the 4 weeks everyone else is using, but would think twice about shortening AZ below 6 weeks.

23 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think there is a lot of truth in this

I disagreed almost entirely with Cummings’ approach whilst an advisor, not to mention Barnard’s flippin Castle. Something of a mental whiplash he now seems to be talking a lot of sense... 😒 Why can’t people just stay as one dimensional caricatures dammit?

Just now, jimmillen said:

I disagreed almost entirely with Cummings’ approach whilst an advisor, not to mention Barnard’s flippin Castle. Something of a mental whiplash he now seems to be talking a lot of sense... 😒 Why can’t people just stay as one dimensional caricatures dammit?

It never ceases to amaze me how much people will sell their principles out for fame or financial/political/career gain 

21 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Haha to be fair it was always reported that him and Gove were fighting in favour of earlier lockdowns, I think we all just had this view if him as some evil cartoon villain that we assumed it was all PR in his favour, but it's possible to want to destroy the fabric of a society while still being in favour of locking down early to avoid a longer lockdown eventually 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah it makes sense. Quicker the over 40s are "fully vaccinated" the better, might make everyone a bit more chilled out about it all (in government I mean)

From what I can see in the data, bringing forward the second dose further for AZ is a bad idea. The immune response seems to take longer for AZ and the B cells may not be developed enough to mount as profound a response after just 4 weeks.

What do you think, @Toilet Duck?

25 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

From what I can see in the data, bringing forward the second dose further for AZ is a bad idea. The immune response seems to take longer for AZ and the B cells may not be developed enough to mount as profound a response after just 4 weeks.

What do you think, @Toilet Duck?

Yep, I’d agree. I wouldn’t shorten AZ below 6 weeks to be honest, immune response starts to plateau around then with small incremental gains up to about 12 weeks, but shorter gap didn’t perform as well. Healthcare workers here got it with a 6 week gap to shore up their protection as quickly as possible and it’s held firm with low positivity rates and no serious cases. I’d just divert Pfizer/Moderna to the hotspots as it’s the quickest way to full vaccination.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's spreading beyond Bolton then. Bury is a sign that maybe a delay to the roadmap wouldn't be the worst thing...

So...it must have arrived into Bolton from S Asia and then there was some sort of super spreading event and it's gone on from there...but it is kind of isolated still..Oldham and Manchester have big Asian communities too but not too bad there, especially Oldham. 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So...it must have arrived into Bolton from S Asia and then there was some sort of super spreading event and it's gone on from there...but it is kind of isolated still..Oldham and Manchester have big Asian communities too but not too bad there, especially Oldham. 

Concern is the proximity- could indicate wider population spread now? They need the same surge testing in Bury as they had in Bolton now 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Disagree

It's looking like we are getting on top of it in Bolton - slowly..  I would agree If that wasn't the case 

As long as they get hugely on top of Bury then it could be ok - but that's a clear sign they need to do it now, not wait til it's much worse