When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

The exit is a vaccine or summer - the rates will not come down in winter- they'll get worse even with everyone in tier 3 just because of the nature of winter weather and respiratory diseases

If only there has been a way we could’ve known cases would rise as the winter came along, if only... 😉

Is there any good reason why the UK government isn't going into a full scale, but short term lockdown?

It baffles me that they're sticking to these localised pseudo-lockdowns when there are places, like the state of Victoria in Australia, who have aptly demonstrated that shutting the whole place down (closing borders and halting international arrivals aside from returning citizens who then quarantine for 14 days, completely shutting all retail and hospitality aside from take away food, restricting movement enforceable by sizeable fines and mandating masks at all times outside the home) actually works.

Victoria had 750 new cases a day (0.01% of the population of the state) in early August, and went into a harsh lockdown. Today, we have just one new case. In a fraction over two months, we've come close to elimination.

Assuming 18,000 new cases per day in the England (0.03% of the population of the country), if the lockdown was immediate and strict enough, you could potentially be where we are by Christmas.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Is there any good reason why the UK government isn't going into a full scale, but short term lockdown?

It baffles me that they're sticking to these localised pseudo-lockdowns when there are places, like the state of Victoria in Australia, who have aptly demonstrated that shutting the whole place down (closing borders and halting international arrivals aside from returning citizens who then quarantine for 14 days, completely shutting all retail and hospitality aside from take away food, restricting movement enforceable by sizeable fines and mandating masks at all times outside the home) actually works.

Victoria had 750 new cases a day (0.01% of the population of the state) in early August, and went into a harsh lockdown. Today, we have just one new case. In a fraction over two months, we've come close to elimination.

Assuming 18,000 new cases per day in the England (0.03% of the population of the country), if the lockdown was immediate and strict enough, you could potentially be where we are by Christmas.

think it probably comes down to economics.

Maybe we still will have a short lockdown though...Johnson hasn't ruled it out sometime in the future.

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Because Keir Starmer already suggested it? (As did the scientists)

Just now, Ozanne said:

He also said a no deal Brexit would be a failure too but here we are 😆

yeah, but that something he'll have cheering crowds about. ;) 

Nobody wants a lockdown, even the people who say we should have one. And everyone can see its a failure of what was meant to happen from having a first lockdown. We were promised a world-beating track & trace system, remember? ;) 

The good thing about brexit - if there's a good thing - is that it's all over at the end of the year, and I reckon from that point plenty of the people currently cheering Spaffer along start to detach themselves from him. 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The good thing about brexit - if there's a good thing - is that it's all over at the end of the year, and I reckon from that point plenty of the people currently cheering Spaffer along start to detach themselves from him. 

except negotiations and deals will contine with EU forever, but I guess they won't be in the news. No matter what, you can't get around the fact that EU is a massive trading block sitting very close to us.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I also still think there will be a deal with EU...the negotiations haven't stopped, and they're so close...Johnson just has to make it look like a victory, tricky thing is so do EU leaders, especially Macron.

I think he's essentially pushing as close to the deadline as possible to see if they cave in eventually, he used a similar tactic last year when amending the original deal and they managed to change it so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case again 

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

except negotiations and deals will contine with EU forever, but I guess they won't be in the news. No matter what, you can't get around the fact that EU is a massive trading block sitting very close to us.

Spaffer will have achieved their dream brexit. Anything after that isn't brexit.

25 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Given how close it is would it make sense for us to attempt to join? 

Firstly wanted to thank all you regular posters on this thread for the efforts to keep us up to date on news and the interpretation of stuff.  Efests should ask for financial support as part of the government communications operation - tag line - ‘making sense of the nonsense’. 

Echoing others on here I have never felt the anger and basic disgust for the ruling elite of this country like I do right now. And I include living with all the various injustices implemented under Thatcher, Blair and Cameron. I am a sceptic so I don’t believe that ‘ the truth will out, and justice will be done’. However I genuinely believe right now this is the biggest divide in UK since the Civil War and it will never go back to what it was. The Union is done. And on top of Scottish and Welsh independence (plus NI getting closer to Eire) I expect English regional devolution to be the long term result. I believe it is inevitable. People have no trust or belief in national politicians. The Conservative and Unionist Party will have, starting with Brexit, facilitated the break up of the union.  I believe it will be better on the basis that, living in the North West, it can’t be any worse than the status quo.

keep the faith!

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

And so it begins... (random to hear that from Shatner though).

He probably sells a lot of stuff to UK Star Trek fans. 

On a serious note you won’t be surprised to know how much stuff is shipped to the UK. 

Is this aimed purely at retail importers or will this also apply to private sellers who sell to the UK such as those who sell through Ebay, Amazon, Wish etc? 

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

And so it begins... (random to hear that from Shatner though).

to be fair, that's not anything to do with brexit. It's the USA.

And he says VAT. VAT is an internal sales tax and not paid on imported goods. So I'm not sure what he says is accurate. If there's something to it, I'm guessing it's the UK tariffs, and that it's an attempt to smooth US/UK trade.

Cos at the mo if you buy something online from the USA it gets seized by Royal Mail until the duty is paid, and the system is clunky and slow and a pain in the arse.

Edited by eFestivals

50 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I think he's essentially pushing as close to the deadline as possible to see if they cave in eventually, he used a similar tactic last year when amending the original deal and they managed to change it so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case again 

In that case though they changed it back to what they already wanted,  Boris's deal was what they offered May originally but the border in the Irish Sea was too much for May so she negotiated the backstop instead. So yeah this bring it down to the wire will work again if he acquiesces to all their demands again.

• Upvote 1