When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Tory MP suggests rules are here to stay for the coming years :( 

7FCE78AB-F122-4171-BD62-BF67AFC94D50.png

Not really a surprise though is it?

I know several of our more optimistic brethren expected it to all be over and managed by August this year, but from the start the indications have always been there that this is a long, long road where some kind of management will be necessary which will be measured in years, not weeks or months. 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Is there any good reason why the UK government isn't going into a full scale, but short term lockdown?

It baffles me that they're sticking to these localised pseudo-lockdowns when there are places, like the state of Victoria in Australia, who have aptly demonstrated that shutting the whole place down (closing borders and halting international arrivals aside from returning citizens who then quarantine for 14 days, completely shutting all retail and hospitality aside from take away food, restricting movement enforceable by sizeable fines and mandating masks at all times outside the home) actually works.

Victoria had 750 new cases a day (0.01% of the population of the state) in early August, and went into a harsh lockdown. Today, we have just one new case. In a fraction over two months, we've come close to elimination.

Assuming 18,000 new cases per day in the England (0.03% of the population of the country), if the lockdown was immediate and strict enough, you could potentially be where we are by Christmas.

Because Sunak has basically been against lockdowns from the start (and certainly against anymore now), along with a big chunk of the Tories, while Johnson (following his own experience- essentially would have died if we hadn't locked down) prefers them over the alternative (did a 180 on that), along with a big chunk of the Tories (Hancock etc)- what we have ended up with is a mish mash compromise, made up on the hoof, that makes little sense and a complete absence of any mid to long term strategy or thought. 

Plus Johnson is a thick, lazy b******, who can't be arsed to read any report or get a handle on things

Edited by Mr.Tease

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

to be fair, that's not anything to do with brexit. It's the USA.

And he says VAT. VAT is an internal sales tax and not paid on imported goods. So I'm not sure what he says is accurate. If there's something to it, I'm guessing it's the UK tariffs, and that it's an attempt to smooth US/UK trade.

Cos at the mo if you buy something online from the USA it gets seized by Royal Mail until the duty is paid, and the system is clunky and slow and a pain in the arse.

The government are desperately trying to get foreign companies to pick up the tab for UK import tariffs otherwise prices in the UK will rise, consumers will be hit in the pocket and part of the Brexit myth is shattered.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Because Sunak has basically been against lockdowns from the start (and certainly against anymore now), along with a big chunk of the Tories, while Johnson (following his own experience- essentially would have died if we hadn't locked down) prefers them over the alternative (did a 180 on that), along with a big chunk of the Tories (Hancock etc)- what we have ended up with is a mish mash compromise, made up on the hoof, that makes little sense and a complete absence of any mid to long term strategy or thought. 

Plus Johnson is a thick, lazy b******, who can't be arsed to read any report or get a handle on things

No he wouldn’t, where on earth have you got that idea from? 

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

The government are desperately trying to get foreign companies to pick up the tab for UK import tariffs otherwise prices in the UK will rise, consumers will be hit in the pocket and part of the Brexit myth is shattered.

Nah, can't be that, as it doesn't work. The foreign company would pass on the cost, and make clear it was a charge from the UK.

And with the EU, the plan is/was to be tariff-free anyway.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

No he wouldn’t, where on earth have you got that idea from? 

He required hospitalisation, if there had been no lockdown, the hospital would have been full, so (if he'd been a normal person) he wouldn't have gotten the treatment he needed

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Because Spaffer indicated waaaay back that having to do a 2nd lockdown would be a personal failure of his.

He's said more often that the virus situation is always changing and he reserves the right to do whatever is necessary if circumstances change (I.e. saying the right thing for once)

And he also said that a no deal Brexit would be a complete failure of statecraft, so I'm not sure quite how much he's arsed about being shown to have talked shit in the past.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

He's said more often that the virus situation is always changing and he reserves the right to do whatever is necessary if circumstances change (I.e. saying the right thing for once)

And he also said that a no deal Brexit would be a complete failure of statecraft, so I'm not sure quite how much he's arsed about being shown to have talked shit in the past.

Brexit is different. There's people who will cheer whatever outcome we get, and Spaffer loves people cheering him.

No one will cheer another lockdown no matter how much we might think it's necessary. And just about everyone will think it's a failure of the strategy so far.

13 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yeah but he’s the PM. They’d have made sure he got a ventilator. 

Even if he didn't feel a sense of shame in that, imagine having to face the public after you got special treatment denied to everyone else because of your policy! 

40 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

If Johnson is as you described then where does your life achievements rank against his? He managed to get the top job in the UK by being thick and lazy, I can assume that you have done better than the PM, or, are more thick and lazy? 

Along with he wouldn't have got the treatment he needed without lockdown you talk some utter nonsense. 

Edited by Scotdy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nah, can't be that, as it doesn't work. The foreign company would pass on the cost, and make clear it was a charge from the UK.

And with the EU, the plan is/was to be tariff-free anyway.

There is the Boris/Tory wish list and reality. He ousted/backstabbed May to get the PM job and then caved in to a worse EU withdrawal agreement. Now unless he caves in again he knows he's going subject the UK to price rises and job losses

52 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Not really a surprise though is it?

I know several of our more optimistic brethren expected it to all be over and managed by August this year, but from the start the indications have always been there that this is a long, long road where some kind of management will be necessary which will be measured in years, not weeks or months. 

They’re living in a fantasy land if they think people will follow the current rules for years. 😂Compliance is already drifting compared to #Lockdown1 and we’ve seen the pushback from the various University Cities. That will only happen more.

Thankfully between natural Immunity, T-Cell Resistance, better treatments, a possible Vaccine and Mass testing they won’t need it but it makes me laugh to see how it of touch some of them are. If a low-level Tory MP is that clueless how divorced from reality are those in the Westminster bubble.

Edited by MEGABOWL

13 minutes ago, Scotdy said:

If Johnson is as you described then where does your life achievements rank against his? He managed to get the top job in the UK by being thick and lazy, I can assume that you have done better than the PM, or, are more thick and lazy? 

Along with he wouldn't have got the treatment he needed without lockdown you talk some utter nonsense. 

haha what the fuck

21 minutes ago, Scotdy said:

Hear hear 

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Brexit is different. There's people who will cheer whatever outcome we get, and Spaffer loves people cheering him.

No one will cheer another lockdown no matter how much we might think it's necessary. And just about everyone will think it's a failure of the strategy so far.

It's the need for a second lockdown that's the failure. Not imposing it is simply a further lockdown.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

to be fair, that's not anything to do with brexit. It's the USA.

And he says VAT. VAT is an internal sales tax and not paid on imported goods. So I'm not sure what he says is accurate. If there's something to it, I'm guessing it's the UK tariffs, and that it's an attempt to smooth US/UK trade.

Cos at the mo if you buy something online from the USA it gets seized by Royal Mail until the duty is paid, and the system is clunky and slow and a pain in the arse.

He says from January 1st. Seems pretty to do with Brexit to me.

Bojo is obviously trying to balance lockdown restrictions to stop virus spreading, and also reducing the economic damage. Problem is it is coming across as unfair, and there's not as much money being thrown at it, and it may not actually stop the virus spreading. This country is just ending up with worst of both worlds, high number of deaths, and one of the worst hit economies.

• Upvote 1

It must be pretty galling to be born into wealth, coast through life being told you're going to be Prime Minister one day, succeeding in becoming Prime Minister, and then get a double whammy of a pandemic and Brexit - in turn finding out you're fucking terrible at the job you thought was your god given right. I hope, deep down, he's utterly miserable.

• Upvote 8

Just got one of those "Possible Covid-19 exposure" notifications from the app. Pretty sure it then said it was fine but it disappeared pretty quickly! My partner got one too. I'm sure someone else has had one here? Am I right in thinking if you need to isolate it would be very clear?

Not surprising really as we have been out and about and around more people in the past week and a half than we have previously for the past few months, having been on holiday for a week (although we still avoided busy places). I would imagine it was from public transport.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just got one of those "Possible Covid-19 exposure" notifications from the app. Pretty sure it then said it was fine but it disappeared pretty quickly! My partner got one too. I'm sure someone else has had one here? Am I right in thinking if you need to isolate it would be very clear?

Not surprising really as we have been out and about and around more people in the past week and a half than we have previously for the past few months, having been on holiday for a week (although we still avoided busy places). I would imagine it was from public transport.

Yes - it comes up with a big clock thing like the image below if you definitely need to isolate. The ones that go away are just low level ones.

_114575659_appp.jpg

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah, I had one of those. Apparently it’s a glitch (a world-beating one).