When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Yes it’s uncommon for young people without underlying health conditions to die, but it’s certainly possible, and young people could easily get long term chronic health conditions who do survive the illness.

Not forgetting the young with underlying health conditions, diagnosed or not. These don't have to be serious conditions. Asthma being one that puts people at greater risk.

19 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I live in a city with several universities. Freshers flu is a big thing every year when new viruses are brought into the area and spread throughout the city. 

It doesn’t matter if you’re a student or not, usually every October a lot of people will get ill due to the new influx of viruses from around the country. 

Normally these aren’t as harmful as Covid but the conditions for spreading the virus are perfect when you get a large influx of students into a city at the same time. 

I work in a youth hostel that normally gets lots of university and school residential trips in September and October and I can confirm Fresher's Flu is a thing. We end up with so many staff off sick in the Autumn.  Whatever else happens, even if we are able to get rid of all the Covid measures, we could do with bringing them back out for that time of year

14 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Not forgetting the young with underlying health conditions, diagnosed or not. These don't have to be serious conditions. Asthma being one that puts people at greater risk.

I completely agree. I think regular campus testing is the only real way forward here.

Edited by FestivalJamie

19 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I agree we all have to try to get back to some degree of normality and we have to do it my minimising the risk. Problem is that there is a large pool of the population that aren't good at minimising risk.

Yep and a lot of that pool of people who aren’t minimising the risk are going to be the young people going to universities. It just feels like an outbreak waiting to happen and all those vulnerable people who will be at university will be put at risk by others ignorant actions which is really worrying, we need to make it safe for them.

8 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Yep and a lot of that pool of people who aren’t minimising the risk are going to be the young people going to universities. It just feels like an outbreak waiting to happen and all those vulnerable people who will be at university will be put at risk by others ignorant actions which is really worrying, we need to make it safe for them.

you're going to be a nervous wreck at Uni the way you're going on.

27 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I had an email this week from my local university and they are testing all students on arrival. I’m sure many other universities will be doing the same.

Whilst it is almost inevitable that there will be outbreaks, the risk to most young people is very low. There will no doubt be plenty of freshers who will have parties. You have no control over this. You just have to try your best and keep yourself as safe as possible, and not ruminate over what others are doing. 

Similarly if you’re already feeling anxious about going to university and COVID, this thread isn’t going to be helpful for you. Maybe a break away will help. Keep posting on the other threads :)

Edited by zero000

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

I work in a youth hostel that normally gets lots of university and school residential trips in September and October and I can confirm Fresher's Flu is a thing. We end up with so many staff off sick in the Autumn.  Whatever else happens, even if we are able to get rid of all the Covid measures, we could do with bringing them back out for that time of year

Isn’t freshers flu just a hangover with a side order of chlamydia? 

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Still not June or bust though, is it?

Real politicians answer using words like 'hoping' and aiming' and 'no plans'. 

Lots of wriggle room.

Personal view is that if a Sept festival took place it would be more of a hugely scaled scaled down pilot for the year after, if they were to do one at all, but I still think that June next year is way too optimistic.

The economy can get restarted under more generic social distancing but massive music festivals and crowds crammed into football stadia won't be part of that until an effective vaccine or treatment is available. Testing per event is a non starter.

Festivals are not at the top of the list for the government and they'll be the last to return.

Figures look much better at the moment, but we still have partial lockdown and restrictions in place controlling that.

Edited by Copperface

It seems as if we're following Germany's path in regards to cases and it's better news if overall hospitalizations and deaths are still remaining low, I know there could be more restrictions in place should they continue but I think they know far more now to place them in without being too draconian 

Screenshot_20200830-172003_Chrome.jpg