When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

24 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

My point was first time is odds of catching it, second game (if you lose the first one) is odds of dying from it. Yeah, you're very. very unlikely to catch it. That's been the case for the entire time this has been going on, unless you work in hospitals or go around licking door handles.

Catching it is the second game.  The first game is being exposed to it (which is the 1/1700).  The chances of then catching it can be mitigated (by social distancing etc).  So there's 3 games in a row and you even have some control over the result of game 2.  

24 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Problem is there's a not insignificant chance of you dying if you do catch it.

That depends on what group you fall in to.  For some groups the risk of death is very very small indeed.

I agree, this is all a bit pointless but I just think its a shame someone took a bit of reassurance from this statistic after weeks of anxiety and that got taken away again within about 5 minutes of posting.  The level of risk is far far lower now than it was at the start of all this so its reasonable to let our anxiety levels come down now too.  Things have improved and this is a good thing!

Edited by Cream Soda

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Oh I know, I do understand. I do think things could be explained in a way that is a bit more reassuring. I think if the guidance was “look, we’ve suppressed this to a point where is is a lot less likely that you will become infected, we can make things much safer if we all wear a mask indoors for a couple of months, we now have a watertight system for identifying outbreaks and isolating cases and we have an expanding range of proven treatments to help you if you do get very ill”, then people might feel a bit better about it. The only part of the above that’s a work in progress is the bit related to identifying outbreaks, everything else is true (we could do with more treatments, but options are a lot better now and we can even identify people early who will benefit from specific types of therapy). The difficulty is getting people to keep up some level of modification to our normal behaviour to see us safely out the other side of this. There’s two ways of doing that...level with people and hope they trust you enough to go along with you...or scare them into it. Some parts of the world have managed it the first way, others have chosen the latter (some haven’t managed it at all!).

My advice is to take the steps you are comfortable with. If you see a situation that you think is risky, avoid it if you can. It’s entirely natural to be a bit anxious about all of this, it’s a once in a lifetime disruption of our normal lives, and readjusting is difficult. There’s plenty to be reassured about though and I honestly don’t think we will end up back where we were in March/April again (it would be a monumental f*ck up if we did, given we know so much more now). 

Toilet Duck - can I please send you a big thank you. I have (somewhat obsessively) over the last few months been following/reading/watching so much about Coronavirus from scientific papers (well beyond my understanding) to mainstream media.

I always come back to your posts as being the most well informed, reasonable and understandable out there with a lovely dose of optimism! 

If we all make it safely to next year I would love to buy you a drink in gratitude for keeping me sane!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

4th July: 2m to 1m; Two households can join together: restaurants and pubs to reopen; hairdressers; hotels, B and Bs and campsites; leisure activities and tourist attractions; cinemas, museums, galleries; libraries, community centres

19 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

Toilet Duck - can I please send you a big thank you. I have (somewhat obsessively) over the last few months been following/reading/watching so much about Coronavirus from scientific papers (well beyond my understanding) to mainstream media.

I always come back to your posts as being the most well informed, reasonable and understandable out there with a lovely dose of optimism! 

If we all make it safely to next year I would love to buy you a drink in gratitude for keeping me sane!

You really are most welcome. No need for thanks, though I too really hope we all get to hang out at the cider bus next year! As I've said before, I don't know everything, I get things wrong (but hopefully learn from it!)...it's a rapidly evolving situation, so something that was accepted a couple of months ago could well be viewed very differently now. But that's science and medicine in real time I suppose! Optimism is my default setting though, we can always change our lot!

23 minutes ago, Homer said:

4th July: 2m to 1m; Two households can join together: restaurants and pubs to reopen; hairdressers; hotels, B and Bs and campsites; leisure activities and tourist attractions; cinemas, museums, galleries; libraries, community centres

Any mention of the mitigation measures to compensate for the reduction in distancing?

To say I'm relieved to be reopening on the 4th of July is an understatement!  We couldn't have lasted much longer without further government support, and now we have the chance to rescue some of our year - July to September are our money makers. 

It's going to be a lot of work, but bring it on. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

To say I'm relieved to be reopening on the 4th of July is an understatement!  We couldn't have lasted much longer without further government support, and now we have the chance to rescue some of our year - July to September are our money makers. 

What do you do, pub? How will you handle the social distancing?

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yes I think that’s the case

Is this normal BoJo ‘fudge’? I would much prefer a formal requirement as face coverings seem to work when everyone does as it protects others not necessarily the wearer

‘Mr Johnson said people will be encouraged to use "mitigation" - such as face coverings and not sitting face-to-face - when within 2m of each other and "where it is possible to keep 2m apart, people should"

9 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Fantastic news ... are you going to be ready to go on the 4th ? 

24 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Any mention of the mitigation measures to compensate for the reduction in distancing?

They will publish the science in due course apparently (just after the Russia report presumably).

Other highlights: Starmer being generally supportive but Johnson being a bit of a wally by shoehorning in an attack line about STarmer apparently U-turning on schools in his response.

Leadsom getting herself on shakey ground by banging on about how important new parents are.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Such a difference  - their peak was 900 ish a day and they're freaking out over daily numbers that are still in the double digits.

While we still get around 1,000 per day at the same time transparency over numbers tested has mysteriously disappeared, and are essentially a step away from proclaiming victory