When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

19 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Can someone actually elaborate to me what these additional mitigation’s businesses will have to comply with actually are? Seems like we are just dropping the distance from 2m to 1m without putting any proper measures in place.

I assumed face coverings would be mandatory in all public settings, but they still seem to be optional, in which case no one is going to wear them.

Bit nervous about the next step forwards.

These mitigations are things such as face masks and not sitting face to face.  Nobody *has* to comply with them though, as these are now guidance as opposed to legislation.

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

If no one has to comply, no one will comply.

Sounds like we will have a second wave to me.

We’ve been saying that for weeks with the VE Day parties, the beaches being open, schools opening more students etc...  

Im very much hoping here but maybe just maybe we’re over the worst of it.

1 minute ago, sisco said:

We’ve been saying that for weeks with the VE Day parties, the beaches being open, schools opening more students etc...  

Im very much hoping here but maybe just maybe we’re over the worst of it.

yeah but it's not been allowed indoors - this is the biggest test so far, people are essentially allowed to get back to normal indoors without face coverings. All the parties, protests etc have been outside so far. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

9 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

If no one has to comply, no one will comply.

Sounds like we will have a second wave to me.

Not necessarily true. Businesses will set their own rules to appeal to their own customers - if they want to say "facemasks compulsory" and "keep 1m distant" they can. Equally they can decide they don't care.

But most people don't want to get sick. After the initial rush of "yay, pubs are back" they'll settle down and there absolutely will be fewer people using pubs than before. Pubs that do create and enforce rules may end up creating a better environment for their customers and therefore be more popular.

It's like how loads of places banned smoking before it was actually against the law. 

If pubs can do nothing and still do great business then more power them, but it's not like our pub industry was in rude health even before this crisis.

46 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

yeah but it's not been allowed indoors - this is the biggest test so far, people are essentially allowed to get back to normal indoors without face coverings. All the parties, protests etc have been outside so far. 

We'll find out just before though if the shops being opened has had an effect which is something to look at, it'll have been nearly 3 weeks since they opened by then. 

I'm still angry at how everything has been handled so far. But maybe the earlier mistakes have somewhat future proofed us? There must be literally millions of people who have had it and have no idea as they were asymptomatic. 

I've been trying to phrase that for ages, 42,000 avoidable deaths is unacceptable and I hope I don't come across as callous for suggesting it might be okay for us all to go and get pints and haircuts. Drinking pints in Manchester from milk bottles the other day was nice but still not quite the same.

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

We'll find out just before though if the shops being opened has had an effect which is something to look at, it'll have been nearly 3 weeks since they opened by then. 

I'm still angry at how everything has been handled so far. But maybe the earlier mistakes have somewhat future proofed us? There must be literally millions of people who have had it and have no idea as they were asymptomatic. 

I've been trying to phrase that for ages, 42,000 avoidable deaths is unacceptable and I hope I don't come across as callous for suggesting it might be okay for us all to go and get pints and haircuts. Drinking pints in Manchester from milk bottles the other day was nice but still not quite the same.

Johnson said earlier it was only about 6-7% if the country has had it. 

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Johnson said earlier it was only about 6-7% if the country has had it. 

I think the issue is that’s only an estimate, we won’t have an official picture unless we test every single person in the country which I imagine is a near on impossible task, I’m inclined to believe more have had it than that personally 

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

I think the issue is that’s only an estimate, we won’t have an official picture unless we test every single person in the country which I imagine is a near on impossible task, I’m inclined to believe more have had it than that personally 

I tend to agree, it’s hard to believe so few have had it.

Nearly time for the last daily briefing guys, it’s been an honour. 

13 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

You can get a very good idea with population sampling. It's highly unlikely that more than 10% of the population have had it.  Everyone who's had a cough or temperature in the last three months thinks they had coronavirus.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You can get a very good idea with population sampling. It's highly unlikely that more than 10% of the population have had it.  Everyone who's had a cough or temperature in the last three months thinks they had coronavirus.

I have it most mornings, but has usually gone by lunchtime.

2 hours ago, northernringo said:

To me, his 'look at me, I'm a normal guy' act is wearing a bit thin...

You're on the money there - Sunak's part of the Tufton Street (hard right) clique at the top of the Tory party.

Edited by Homer

39 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I hope you're right - I just think the additional time spent face to face in pubs is what will make it spread there, I guess MOST people go in and out of shops relatively quickly. Not as quickly as me though 😂

What's the milk bottle thing all about??

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I hope you're right - I just think the additional time spent face to face in pubs is what will make it spread there, I guess MOST people go in and out of shops relatively quickly. Not as quickly as me though 😂

What's the milk bottle thing all about??

Couple if bars in town selling points from stalls they set up by the windows (the guy at port street beer house was very keen to let me know they did it first). It's not perfect but it's pretty good, I was drinking a pint of draught beer in the sunshine, people had music on nearby, there's obviously no toilets though. An issue compounded by the fact you like like you're carrying piss round with you ahah 

IMG_20200620_163703.thumb.jpg.ccc70108d0b8a36bc5397306b02f1b06.jpg

Edited by priest17