Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

3 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

At the rate the hysteria is building you'll likely be dragged out of the crowd and thrown in a quarantine 😉

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ah ... maybe not then :) fair comment 

Maybe we all need these T-Shirts

C5CE2E71-D8FD-4562-A45F-1D9F6B46A79F.thumb.jpeg.bfddcfc0ef657a28b05748db7e730fa7.jpeg

From what the chief medical officer was saying this morning I think the festival is safe.

He said there'll be delay tactics like shutting schools etc over the next month or two to move the peak into spring/summer allowing the NHS to prepare and get past the worst of winter, then they'll let it run its course because there's no point trying to stop it. He also said that even the "great majority" of people in their 80s are expected to recover, so it's nothing much to be afraid of. It's just a nasty flu. 

If anything I'd say the festival is most at risk from scaremongering causing people to decide not to pay for their ticket, thus preventing it from selling out. They'll have to manage their messaging at ticket payment time very carefully.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Mimo said:

From what the chief medical officer was saying this morning I think the festival is safe.

He said there'll be delay tactics like shutting schools etc over the next month or two to move the peak into spring/summer allowing the NHS to prepare and get past the worst of winter, then they'll let it run its course because there's no point trying to stop it. He also said that even the "great majority" of people in their 80s are expected to recover, so it's nothing much to be afraid of. It's just a nasty flu. 

If anything I'd say the festival is most at risk from scaremongering causing people to decide not to pay for their ticket, thus preventing it from selling out. They'll have to manage their messaging at ticket payment time very carefully.

If the problem for the festival it's concerns about "not selling out" then it's not problem at all 😂

3 minutes ago, Mimo said:

Yes, this has been my assumption all along.

The real risk of cancelling in my view comes from media pressure but if everyone just listens to the facts and no rush decisions are made, we should be fine.

3 minutes ago, Mimo said:

Not a chance.

Even if there are more people who don't pay the balance, the resale will have no issues selling the remainder. 

15 minutes ago, Mimo said:

Chief Medical office definitely just became my favourite expert 🙂

Is what he said online anywhere?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Chief Medical office definitely just became my favourite expert 🙂

Is what he said online anywhere?

hes not quite hit the Michael Eavis legendary status yet ..... but could he be the sunday speaker on the Pyramid stage ..... oh no virus here .... ooh no virus here  chants 

14 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

While this is great, I still draw the line at calling Hancock my favourite anything.

Until he confirms Glastonbury can go ahead. Then I might have some serious thinking to do. 

Although not perfect he’s been surprisingly sensible and calm throughout this. 

1 hour ago, Old_Johno said:

People would still queue up to buy glasto tickets even if they came with a guaranteed virus 

It's a win/win.  Get to go to Glastonbury, party your tits off.  Fine you get the virus but when you get home you can self isolate for a few weeks.  

I can see no downsides here.

8 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

It's a win/win.  Get to go to Glastonbury, party your tits off.  Fine you get the virus but when you get home you can self isolate for a few weeks.  

I can see no downsides here.

Because of your profile picture I read this in Moe's voice.