Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

True, but I suspect they'll think twice about releasing a poster to hype people up if they're considering an imminent cancellation

at that point they'd have pretty much decided they're cancelling, and I don't think they'll be deciding to cancel.

They might have cancellation forced on them but there's no point dithering on that possibility, so I reckon they'll be working as tho it's going ahead if/until the govt tells them they can't.

(I don't think the govt will tell specifically Glastonbury that it can't, it'll be a blank ban on particular gatherings).

6 hours ago, Sasperella said:

I hope you get well soon! 

I actually have a friend in NYC who got sent home from work for a cough and a fever a couple of days ago (he's also an EFestivals lurker...so he'll probably read this and moan at me about it later). I guess he isn't being tested either, having not been to any of the designated places recently...which makes me wonder how much more widespread it actually is (and thus, presumably, how much lower the fatality rate?)

Thank you! The fever breaking has me cocky though the cough is REALLY BAD still. Ah well another day of hanging on my couch watching youtube and reading efests for me! 🙂

I agree 100% with your supposition that it's likely much more widespread here in the USA and it's a much lower mortality rate because of unreported cases. The last person the news has highlighted in NYC that tested positive has had his symptoms for a month! I think at this point the stories we are getting via the news are like a "Best Of" the virus, not the total story of the virus itself.

6 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Get well soon but..... you shouldn’t sell tickets for anymore than face value anyway 😉

I agree with you except that I think it's fair to get my money back so I list at the price that does that which, thanks to initial service fees plus stubhub fees, looks a bunch higher than the initial ticket cost. I check those sites mostly to see how "in demand" a show I am going to is, and to know how easy it will be to sell if I can't make it.... which I apparently can't based on this cough - i put my tickets up for sale this morning. 😞 

1 minute ago, assorted said:

Thank you! The fever breaking has me cocky though the cough is REALLY BAD still. Ah well another day of hanging on my couch watching youtube and reading efests for me! 🙂

I agree 100% with your supposition that it's likely much more widespread here in the USA and it's a much lower mortality rate because of unreported cases. The last person the news has highlighted in NYC that tested positive has had his symptoms for a month! I think at this point the stories we are getting via the news are like a "Best Of" the virus, not the total story of the virus itself.

I agree with you except that I think it's fair to get my money back so I list at the price that does that which, thanks to initial service fees plus stubhub fees, looks a bunch higher than the initial ticket cost. I check those sites mostly to see how "in demand" a show I am going to is, and to know how easy it will be to sell if I can't make it.... which I apparently can't based on this cough - i put my tickets up for sale this morning. 😞 

Why do you have to use Stubhub? Can’t you use Twickets or just advertise them yourself on social media? A friend of mine has a ticket and train ticket (as well as paying for part of a hotel with his mates) to the UFC in London later this month which he now cant go to. I agree that you would like to get your money back and I said to him that I couldn’t see him getting a buyer for both the train and the event ticket so would more than likely be losing out on cash unless he tried to sell his ticket for over the odds. He’s hoping that Corona Virus comes to his rescue now and he gets his tickets refunded. 

It could go either way,  I've no idea. gets my vote. Mainly because I have no feckin idea. 

I shall use shindig as my test case . If later in May I'm hangin out my arse, full of self pity, feeling queasy, more jaded than a jadey thing with bloodshot eyes and a smug grin. Then shindig happened. This would be a good sign for all you ticket holders. 😅

If later in May I'm hangin out my arse, full of self pity, feeling queasy, more jaded than a jadey thing with bloodshot eyes and a guilty look. Then shindig didnt happen. This would be a bad sign for you ticket holders. 😥

Hope this helps,  

I'll  be like a human barometer of coronavirus, just easier to read. Saying that my barometer says things like Sun and Rain and some handy pictures just incase the words are to complicated/out of focus. 🤔

Edited by mashedonmud

41 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

at that point they'd have pretty much decided they're cancelling, and I don't think they'll be deciding to cancel.

They might have cancellation forced on them but there's no point dithering on that possibility, so I reckon they'll be working as tho it's going ahead if/until the govt tells them they can't.

(I don't think the govt will tell specifically Glastonbury that it can't, it'll be a blank ban on particular gatherings).

In general I agree, as far as preparations go, they're either on or off, but hyping people up?  Might be a bit different.

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

In general I agree, as far as preparations go, they're either on or off, but hyping people up?  Might be a bit different.

it wouldn't be hyping people up, it would be following thru on their planning for the festival.

And I don't think anyone can really know that "this time next week they'll have shut us down", because it might not happen - and because it can't be second-guessed there doesn't seem to be any point in holding something back because you are trying to second-guess it.

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

And I don't think anyone can really know that "this time next week they'll have shut us down", because it might not happen - and because it can't be second-guessed there doesn't seem to be any point in holding something back because you are trying to second-guess it.

The way I see it, there are two critical moments, the government being forced to cancel large scale events, but they will have to cancel the Euros on at the same time as Glastonbury so they will delay such decisions as late as possible, so not going to happen for many weeks yet.

Secondly, the festival themselves deciding it is unsafe to continue (because it’s a relatively uncontrollable outdoor farm environment), and I’d expect this would be just before their major set up work on the fence etc, so the month of May. 

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Has anyone's opinion shifted since voting? I'm thinking it's looking less likely by the day.

When the other thread started I thought there was no chance they’d cancel. Now I think it’s 50/50. I know we all love the festival and it’s a priority, but the people making the decision have less of an incentive to let it go ahead- for them it’s just an event which will have large numbers of people from all over the country and world, all hanging out in close proximity, then going back to their homes- from a disease spreading viewpoint, that’s a pretty bad scenario to allow. Then add in a Tory government that likely hates the festival, and I’m really not confident anymore.

I think that epidemics/pandemics tend to follow a "bell curve" where infections will rise, peak and then fall away. I believe that it will have peaked well before 24th June. Warm weather kiils viruses (UV light) so outdoor gatherings are less of a risk anyway. I'm calling "GO!"

30 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Has anyone's opinion shifted since voting? I'm thinking it's looking less likely by the day.

in the last 2 weeks not much has really changed in terms of the outbreak

the messaging over the last few days has been very extreme, almost like they know something we dont?

10 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

I think that epidemics/pandemics tend to follow a "bell curve" where infections will rise, peak and then fall away. I believe that it will have peaked well before 24th June. Warm weather kiils viruses (UV light) so outdoor gatherings are less of a risk anyway. I'm calling "GO!"

Sounds like we need some global warming to save us all. I'll start burning some diesel in the garden to get the sun out

I don't know how global warming works

50 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So what happens about our tickets.... But that's on another thread lolol.. Soz stu old son just taking the piss out of people not you old son.. You still owe me a pint lol 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

"Based on the biomathematical models of the virus’s spread, the current guidance is that stopping events is not necessary, Jonathan Van-Tam said, adding that the principal places of infection are the home, schools and workplace. With the virus having a relatively small radius of infection (two metres), pubs and public transport were noted as being more likely to be a source of transmission than events."

from - https://www.iq-mag.net/2020/03/event-ban-necessary-uk-gov-medical-adviser-covid-19/#.XmAHR6hKjIU

I don't see anything that changes the above.

I don't think it was ever IF it can't be contained THEN Glastonbury is cancelled. 

The other coronavirus thread on this forum is pure toxic negativity and hysteria by a few users intent on wallowing in it. 

I do worry a giant, media-led social panic can cancel the festival prematurely which is why that thread gets on my nerves...