9 ways Glastonbury has to improve for 2020 according to the local council

MaxPower

3 hours ago, stuie said:

Ah, that makes sense - and should be stopped obviously!

I get the impression that, given the conditions on a farm, they do a good job at preventing bacterial infections.   Has there ever been an instance of larger numbers of people getting sick?

Must admit we avoided the water taps close to the longdrops preferring to fill up at the water aid cabins. Reckon most of any sickness is brought on by the poor hygiene of the individual not using sanitiser. I tend to use the stuff at the long drops and then a few squirts of my own sanitiser. 

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Must admit we avoided the water taps close to the longdrops preferring to fill up at the water aid cabins. Reckon most of any sickness is brought on by the poor hygiene of the individual not using sanitiser. I tend to use the stuff at the long drops and then a few squirts of my own sanitiser. 

double dropping the hand sanitiser ... just be careful :) 

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

... the vodka jelly seems to be a dying trade too ... I always wondered who was brave enough to part with their money .. and did they actually contain much /any vodka ? 

Security tried to remove the vodka jelly man at Bearded Theory last year, there was nearly a riot (well, there was booing).

They got on their walkie-talkies and after about 5 minutes, let him go to the sound of much cheering and chanting. 

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Security tried to remove the vodka jelly man at Bearded Theory last year, there was nearly a riot (well, there was booing).

They got on their walkie-talkies and after about 5 minutes, let him go to the sound of much cheering and chanting. 

brings images like this to my head ... was he shaking ?.

article-2285254-1852DC1C000005DC-179_634x441.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

I can't see how it could possibly be enforced. Who's to say somebody with a trolley stacked high with crate after crate of cider isn't carrying for a group of 6-10, over five full days? It would be impossible to judge how much is too much when it's not known how many it's for or for how long it will last.

Also, has anyone ever been approached by a sketchy geezer quietly asking if they're interested in a Dark Fruit Strongbow? Alcohol re-selling might go on, but I've never seen or heard of it.

happens at plenty of festivals.

one i attend has a 24cans or 1L of spirits OR 2L of wine limit.

an excuse of "oh i'm bringing them for a group" won't fly. it's pretty easy to enforce if they're arsed.

having said that, most festivals don't actively police it as long as you're not taking the piss. if you have 24cans and then more booze hidden in your bag, then you'll probably be fine.

if you're walking in with a trolley filled with multiple 24-can crates though, then it's pretty easy to stop someone and refuse entry. how many people it's for is pretty irrelevant. if it's for others, then they can bring it in themselves.

Edited by ghostdancer1

Also spotted this in the camping report:

Maintaining camping densities to a reasonable and agreed level:

There were two issues identified during the festival from the fire service, firstly, regarding the staff/performers camping and the number of vehicles in these areas and the close proximity of camping and secondly, the campervan/caravan fields and the distance between the campervans/caravans and the close proximity of the tents in these areas.

Recommendation

Assess the campervan/caravan field densities and ensure that the spacing of vehicles and tents does not pose a fire risk.

Might mean that they get a little stricter in the number of tents and location in the camper fields.

22 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think it still happens ... but seemed to be very common back in those days ... the vodka jelly seems to be a dying trade too ... I always wondered who was brave enough to part with their money .. and did they actually contain much /any vodka ? 

Me and my mates used to buy these all the time, never even occurred to me it was dangerous! Ah the arrogance of youth. They always had a lot of vodka in my experience. Wouldn't buy them now as I've heard they're a nightmare for the litter pickers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think it still happens ... but seemed to be very common back in those days ... the vodka jelly seems to be a dying trade too ... I always wondered who was brave enough to part with their money .. and did they actually contain much /any vodka ? 

I got one near the Glastonbury sign last year.

Silly as we had no idea what was actually in them. 

On 1/11/2020 at 10:56 AM, ChemicalBrother said:

Sorry, the council are recommending banning the plastic bottle ban ??? Who in their right mind would even think that would be an improvement, let alone write it down in a report. 

I think the bottled water is for emergency use, it’s far quicker to hand out pre filled bottled water than it is for people to queue to fill their own. They are just covering their arses if we have another hot one. 

Edited by Smeble

My take on the recommendations is they are reasonable, and basically they are supportive of the festival.

It would be wise for the festival to make good on much of the points raised and act in good faith, the alternative may be imposition and then much may change to our disadvantage.

I've no issue with a restriction on incoming alcohol quantities. Shall we say one trolley per person limit?

glastonbury-festival-packing-list-02-1500x950.jpg

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I think the bottled water is for emergency use, it’s far quicker to hand out pre filled bottled water than it is for people to queue to fill their own. They are just covering their arses if we have another hot one. 

I saw them driving around going out cans of water last year

As a project manager I've enjoyed reading these but I found this paragraph quite disturbing as a safeguarding issue:

Staff at Gate A discovered a 12 year old female with an adult male that she had met in the queue. Her identity was verified and an 18 year old friend collected her after her mother was contacted by staff. She was allowed entry as the “rule book” had been followed but this safeguarding issue needs addressing for future events.

8 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

As a project manager I've enjoyed reading these but I found this paragraph quite disturbing as a safeguarding issue:

What concerns you? The fact that a 12 year old was allowed entry without a parent, or that she was abandoned by her friends and had to be looked after by a kind stranger?

3 minutes ago, Smeble said:

What concerns you? The fact that a 12 year old was allowed entry without a parent, or that she was abandoned by her friends and had to be looked after by a kind stranger?

I think its more that she was allowed in the gate with a stranger, just because he was over 18, he could of been anyone. 

On 1/11/2020 at 12:58 PM, Gnomicide said:

I'm pretty sure the vodka jelly guy I saw at BT last year was the same guy that does them at Glasto. I'm also certain he's the same guy that sold hash truffles back in the day.