2021 Headliners

32 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

a reply ...

I had a third name as well (the first being Arctic Monkeys) .... which was Florence and the machine.

From the way it's been said I'm taking them as being "would you be available...?" convos rather than "here's a firm offer", as I find it hard to see all of those three bands as headliners in the same year as they're too much of a similar thing musically.

Then again, UK bands would be the safest bookings, as who knows how covid might affect be international travel next summer.

Makes sense that they’re lining up potentials if any of the original three pull out.

The fact that they’re gauging availability rather than making firm offers suggests there’s still possibilities for this year’s trio.

Should add that I'm obviously here for the discussionas as much as anyone else; it's all part of the build up. And I love the debate, even when we head into Foals / 1975 territory. But this won't be the year for "Emily's missed a trick" or "it's a lazy booking" or owt like that.  That shite can get in the bin.

Definitely sounds like they are assessing their options.

AM / MUSE / Florence - whilst being a bit safe would be a strong trio and go down very well on the weekend.

A top line of that + Diana Ross is a festival I’d want to go to.

It would be a shame to lose Kendrick, Taylor, Paul - but there are much worse replacements out there they could go for.

14 minutes ago, sisco said:

Yeah think I did the same when Taylor became unlikely.  I think they’d want a female fronted headliner myself so it makes sense.

Florence, Macca and The 1975 would actually be decent as I could go elsewhere one night although I waa planning to see Fatboy Slim anyway. Supergrass vs LDR would have been hard.

In fact no, Supergrass would be for a couple of songs.

Edited by thewayiam

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

Which one's the worst?

Honestly? The puddle.

I had enough clean clothing I could sacrifice to ensure I made it home dry from the pool. And if we got those headliners, well, I'd be at Glastonbury - and that's really what matters!

But the puddle! No time for that at all. The puddle can get tae fuck!

Just now, Matt42 said:

Definitely sounds like they are assessing their options.

AM / MUSE / Florence - whilst being a bit safe would be a strong trio and go down very well on the weekend.

A top line of that + Diana Ross is a festival I’d want to go to.

It would be a shame to lose Kendrick, Taylor, Paul - but there are much worse replacements out there they could go for.

We just speaking in hypotheticals if possible replacements here or is there a reason to think Paul might be out too?

Just now, thewayiam said:

Florence, Macca and The 1975 would actually be decent as I could go elsewhere one night although I waa planning to see Fatboy Slim anyway. Supergrass vs LDR would have been hard.

Starting to think the big G don’t see the 1975 as headliners.

Also I guess AM and Muse aren’t too far off being heritage headliners 😭 we are getting old chaps!

Just now, FloorFiller said:

We just speaking in hypotheticals if possible replacements here or is there a reason to think Paul might be out too?

No. It’s just that it’s Paul and he’s a bit wibbly wobbly until he signs.

Also the fact that Neil has had info they’ve approached 3 different headliners. Three fresh headliners on the table is not a great indication that they’ve sealed Macca again.

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

If we ended up with Flo, Macca and AM with Muse doing a secret set in JPT I’d consider that a great result. Flo, Muse and AM would be pretty weak. Although if we could guarantee the festival goes ahead now with those three headliners is obviously take it.

Flo/AM/Muse might seem a weak trio to us obsessive but I’d imagine to plenty of people they’d see three huge acts who regularly headline festivals and sell out arenas and stadia.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Flo/AM/Muse might seem a weak trio to us obsessive but I’d imagine to plenty of people they’d see three huge acts who regularly headline festivals and sell out arenas and stadia.

Yeah of course, they're obviously all justified headliners. "Weak" as in dull, uninspiring, repeat bookings, lack of genre diversity etc. 

And hey, if Muse hadn't headlined in 2016 they would be a more exciting booking. 

Edited by jparx

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Neil has had info they’ve approached 3 different headliners.

well, someone has told me that. Whether it's actually good info I don't know. 

I know the source has access to decent info, but this feels a bit like his source might be talking up what he supposedly knows about.

But at the moment it's the only thing I've heard so we might as well talk about it. :) 

Edited by eFestivals

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Starting to think the big G don’t see the 1975 as headliners.

ah man that's not what I wanna hear :( I really thought / hoped that if they were gonna have to get replacements from this years The 1975 would have been one of them. Especially since their Finsbury gig is only a couple weeks after Glastonbury.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

we are getting old chaps!

speak for yourself :P 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'll be honest, at this stage I couldn't give two hoots who the headliners are. If there's a fest going ahead, I'll manage.  If ever there was going to be a year when the bookers should be cut some slack over who they get, it's this one.

Obviously stuff I'd prefer to see, and as a trio I'd find something like AM, Muse and Florence a "disappointment", but I'd get it.  I just want to be in a field!

Yup. I really don't think I give a shit. I'd also happily see any of those three if there was nowt else on (might struggle to get anyone to go to Muse with me though)