2021 Headliners

Hey guys why do we feel so set about Glastonbury and most music festivals having majority British lineups in the UK. Rumour has it that Taylor is planning on doing her European headline tour for 2021 after the success she has had with folklore I feel she will come back next year. And BST Hyde Park are supposedly about to start announcing acts  for 2021 with Justin Timberlake being one of them can we see him headlining the Pyramid on the Friday?

26 minutes ago, CharlieDaRapper said:

Hey guys why do we feel so set about Glastonbury and most music festivals having majority British lineups in the UK. Rumour has it that Taylor is planning on doing her European headline tour for 2021 after the success she has had with folklore I feel she will come back next year. And BST Hyde Park are supposedly about to start announcing acts  for 2021 with Justin Timberlake being one of them can we see him headlining the Pyramid on the Friday?

I don’t think anyone feels “set” on all British, most people on here couldn’t care less about what’s stamped on an artist’s passport. Plenty of people have been touting Gaga, Eilish, Swift, even RHCP as contenders.

33 minutes ago, CharlieDaRapper said:

Yeah, not much fuss about here tbh pal.  I think it's always nice to see homegrown acts make their way to the top in a way, but certainly not at the expense of getting some quality like Kendrick or Taylor on the Pyramid. I'm not a huge Swift fan, but I've got fingers crossed she'll be back as it'd be a great booking.

Don't see Timberlake as a headliner though. I don't know how he's viewed in the US these days, but he's not really that much of a star in the UK anymore, and I don't think he's got enough of a back catalogue for the UK market to be viewed as a massive catch.  At the same time I guess he's probably too big to be anything but a headliner, so I just don't see him appearing at Glastonbury at all.

Just my thought though.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, not much fuss about here tbh pal.  I think it's always nice to see homegrown acts make their way to the top in a way, but certainly not at the expense of getting some quality like Kendrick or Taylor on the Pyramid. I'm not a huge Swift fan, but I've got fingers crossed she'll be back as it'd be a great booking.

Don't see Timberlake as a headliner though. I don't know how he's viewed in the US these days, but he's not really that much of a star in the UK anymore, and I don't think he's got enough of a back catalogue for the UK market to be viewed as a massive catch.  At the same time I guess he's probably too big to be anything but a headliner, so I just don't see him appearing at Glastonbury at all.

Just my thought though.

I might be way off track here but I’d imagine JT subbing, similar to Pharrell.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Maybe. I do have a reputation for talking out of my arse.

Pharrell subbed, and he was directly involved in two of the biggest pop songs of the last decade.

Katy Perry only played third down despite boasting some massively popular tunes too.

I don’t see what Justin Timberlake has done in the last ten years or so that would make him headliner material.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Pharrell subbed, and he was directly involved in two of the biggest pop songs of the last decade.

Katy Perry only played third down despite boasting some massively popular tunes too.

I don’t see what Justin Timberlake has done in the last ten years or so that would make him headliner material.

Oh no, that's my point. I don't think he is headliner material, at least for Glastonbury. I guess I'm doing what I criticise others for and going down the "his ego won't let him be anything other than a headliner" route.

Like I said, talking out of my arse.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Oh no, that's my point. I don't think he is headliner material, at least for Glastonbury. I guess I'm doing what I criticise others for and going down the "his ego won't let him be anything other than a headliner" route.

Like I said, talking out of my arse.

I think we’re on the same page, I was spelling it out in the hope someone would explain what I’m missing re: JT’s headline credentials.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Good question.  Let's go live to our man on the scene.

@CharlieDaRapper - what do you think of JT?  Is he Glastonbury headliner material to you?  Are we missing anything on why he'd be up at that level these days?  Given that being a BST headliner isn't always the same as Glastonbury headliner (thinking of Lionel Richie, The National, Paul Simon, Massive Attack, Kylie).

1 hour ago, CharlieDaRapper said:

Oh aye? Sources?

If I’m following things correctly, she won’t be returning to a number of the European festivals since they’ve already announced their headliners. I guess Glastonbury and Roskilde could be on the cards still, and Werchter?

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

JT subbing? He’s one of the biggest pop stars of all time? No chance.

Is he though? I'm not on a wind up, but by what metric?

Just had a check on Wikipedia (yeah I know) and his UK sales and chart positions haven't been particularly impressive since 2006.  That's why I ask about his position in the US.

As a really REALLY quick look, UK sales since 2010 for him are approximately comparable to Katy Perry and she was 3rd down on the Saturday.

He had the massive popularity with first two albums (more so the first) in the 00s, but not so much since then.

He's a name, certainly, but I don't know as he has the musical popularity in the UK to put him up there tbh.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

So what has he released in the last decade that I would know?

I honestly couldn’t name a JT song since Sexy Back.

Suit & Tie, Mirrors (2013) and Cant Stop the Feeling (2016)  were all pretty huge hits. His last album flopped pretty hard, but he’s definitely a headliner, albeit possibly not one Glastonbury would bother trying to book.

I think JT is the type of act to just skip U.K. festivals if none of them want to give him a headline slot. He’s huge.

regardless of whether he’s considered ‘past it’ I can’t see him accepting a slot anywhere where he isn’t the marquee act!

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think JT is the type of act to just skip U.K. festivals if none of them want to give him a headline slot. He’s huge.

regardless of whether he’s considered ‘past it’ I can’t see him accepting a slot anywhere where he isn’t the marquee act!

Ok, in that case I reckon we're on the same page. Or at least in the same chapter ;)

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Suit & Tie, Mirrors (2013) and Cant Stop the Feeling (2016)  were all pretty huge hits. His last album flopped pretty hard, but he’s definitely a headliner, albeit possibly not one Glastonbury would bother trying to book.

I’ve not heard of any of those songs. I mean, I’m no pop aficionado but I’ve got an idea of what’s popular. To my knowledge they didn’t penetrate the public consciousness in the way that say, Happy or Uptown Funk or Hotline Bling did.

Right now I would go on a limb to suggest the average Glasto punter would be more interested in seeing a George Ezra headline set than Justin Timberlake.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Pink is probably a good comparison.

In an ideal world they could play below headline but they are still a pretty big deal and very unlikely to be ‘second fiddle’ on any bill. Only a couple of years ago JT was potentially the most expensive act Coachella has ever tried to book.

Interestingly there was some research done in 2016 on the average Glastonbury attendee. It was reported in Somerset Live so take it with as much salt as you feel appropriate, but it had the average attendee age as 39.

So that would put quite a few of us around the point of yer average punter when we talk about stuff like this and what the average opinion of an act might be.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Interestingly there was some research done in 2016 on the average Glastonbury attendee. It was reported in Somerset Live so take it with as much salt as you feel appropriate, but it had the average attendee age as 39.

So that would put quite a few of us around the point of yer average punter when we talk about stuff like this and what the average opinion of an act might be.

The average age being 39 says to me that they can get away with booking acts big 10-15 years ago and with few hits since over current contemporary artists. The average person stops listening to new music at 33, after all, so a barren few years wouldn’t matter.

Edited by dentalplan