2021 Headliners

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

My guess would also be Friday and it’ll be one or the other of AM/1975.

Fri: AM/1975

Sat: Macca

Sun: All to play for still. Can’t see it being another male guitar act, and all of the other contenders - Swift, Gaga, Eilish, etc have various question marks next to them.

Genuinely don’t know who’s most likely for Sunday at the moment.

Thank you :) 

I do think its exciting that nobody really seems to have an idea about the Sunday yet. When the festival got cancelled (bummer!!) we were all wondering if the line up would too, a little bit of me thought oh there's not going to be all the guessing about who might play and what day, and that's the best bit! .. But here we are :D 

24 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

If Dua and Billie are considered too green then Lizzo definitely is

Yes Lizzo who first played Glastonbury in 2014 is much more green than Billie Eilish who was 12 at the time.

I don't think Lizzo is there yet either btw but she certainly isn't more green than Billie.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Its collateral damage I'm willing to accept.

Also, who hurt you so bad in the 90s my dude? You need to process this. Talk to me.

Nothing against it. The last album I bought was from the nineties (albeit from the turn of the decade).  I do notice that for a lot of my peers its where music kind of stopped and it's a period bathed in a sort of nostalgic glow the way the sixties are for my parent's generation - but I guess that makes sense given the shitshow of the past 4 years.  But there was always a lot more going on musically than Britpop.

Lizzo is a strange one because she will definitely be headlining festivals on her next album. She’s already headlining festivals, albeit, not ones the size of Glastonbury.

Shes a sub now imo. Maybe she could headline the other stage? It wouldn’t be a standard other stage headliner, but then I used to think Dua was a pyramid or nothing act.

I am still crossing my fingers for Lizzo to sub Paul McCartney (replacing Noel). Can just imagine that evening being good fun.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nothing against it. The last album I bought was from the nineties (albeit from the turn of the decade).  I do notice that for a lot of my peers its where music kind of stopped and it's a period bathed in a sort of nostalgic glow the way the sixties are for my parent's generation - but I guess that makes sense given the shitshow of the past 4 years.  But there was always a lot more going on musically than Britpop.

Ha, wasn't actually expecting a proper answer! :lol:

I do know what you mean about the nostalgia thing. I guess I draw a very different line between the bands that have done pretty much nothing since then and just pop up on the nostalgia circuit, and those that had their heyday in the 90s but have actually continued to release music since then, or are at least putting out new stuff even if they've not been continually active.

So bands like James, MSP and Levellers for example sit very much in that bracket for me.

But yeah, I'm not exactly waiting for a night of 90s landfill. That's what the Shiiine Weekenders are for, and they're not for me!

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ha, wasn't actually expecting a proper answer! :lol:

I do know what you mean about the nostalgia thing. I guess I draw a very different line between the bands that have done pretty much nothing since then and just pop up on the nostalgia circuit, and those that had their heyday in the 90s but have actually continued to release music since then, or are at least putting out new stuff even if they've not been continually active.

So bands like James, MSP and Levellers for example sit very much in that bracket for me.

But yeah, I'm not exactly waiting for a night of 90s landfill. That's what the Shiiine Weekenders are for, and they're not for me!

Manics are so into the 20th anniversary tour life that new material is being released but not being played live for two decades.

33 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Manics are so into the 20th anniversary tour life that new material is being released but not being played live for two decades.

It did surprise me how much they pushed the Truth... anniversary tour over the Resistance Is Futile release tbf.

But any festival set is going to be hits heavy for any band with longevity. Scenes in 2013 when the Stones only played tunes from Voodoo Lounge onwards would have been quite the thing.

"You're going to want to dance to this one Glastonbury!  This one's called I Go Wild!!!"

"Booooo, play Gimme Shelter you leathery old bastards!"

Edited by Quark

Just now, dentalplan said:

Doom and Gloom was a good moment at G2013. It's a top song actually, to say it was one of those new songs that they attach to greatest hits albums.

I was really happy when they started that one up! My mates had no fucking clue and looked at me like I'd just grown a tail or something. Solid tune.

7 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Three white dude guitar bands to headline?

Nah

If the other headliners aren't available or aren't thought of to place there then I don't see what's wrong?, unless you are trying to say that if Glastonbury book that it doesn't support BLM?

It's not like It's not happened before.

27 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

If the other headliners aren't available or aren't thought of to place there then I don't see what's wrong?, unless you are trying to say that if Glastonbury book that it doesn't support BLM?

It's not like It's not happened before.

I think that when Emily has openly said that she wants to be a part of better representation, particularly women, in music and festivals, they should be seen to follow through on it and practice what they preach. Plus it's just a bit more interesting to get some variety up there.

15 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

If I was in charge of booking a festival my concern would just be getting the best of what is available, and out of the options if it ended up being 3 white dude guitar bands then so be it

In the long term you're right. But when you've trying to address that long-established imbalance in music that does favour a certain relatively limited kind of act or band, the ones that you're trying to bring up will inevitably need extra push and support in order to make up that lost ground. 

Just now, Quark said:

I think that when Emily has openly said that she wants to be a part of better representation, particularly women, in music and festivals, they should be seen to follow through on it and practice what they preach. Plus it's just a bit more interesting to get some variety up there.

In the long term you're right. But when you've trying to address that long-established imbalance in music that does favour a certain relatively limited kind of act or band, the ones that you're trying to bring up will inevitably need extra push and support in order to make up that lost ground. 

Unfortunately the bitter truth is that there are just far more male centric acts who rise up to headliner level, and there’s a reason that despite best intentions, both 2017 and ‘19 were all male headliners after having Adele up there for ‘16. It would be a shame to not have a female act there next year after Taylor being such a strong female booking, but they really can only book who’s available/willing and so I wouldn’t be angry or surprised if it is three male acts again. The rest of the undercard would no doubt show a strong female presence anyway much like 2020’s did.

But that said, here’s hoping Taylor is still on board or that Gaga has stepped in.

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Oh yeah I totally get that, but you gotta get the best of what's available and especially next year there might not be many options!!

* what Floorfiller said... I missed that before I sent this

Edited by Wellyboot