2021 Headliners

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think AM criticism is usually based on the fact that they refuse to fade in relevance. I can’t really think of any other band that is STILL a big deal with teenagers. Whether you were a teen in 2006 or a teen in 2020 they are still a big deal with your age group. I can’t really think of any other act with that kind of longevity.

Whether you like Alex turner or not, the guy isn’t going anywhere. Whether he’s 17 or 40 he’s an idol to the kids.

(not saying that AM for kids - the point I’m saying is they still aren’t seen as ‘old news’. They seem to continuously gain new fans).

Arctics cop far too much flack on here for my liking. They get lumped in with the lad rock crowd, but the Courteeners aren’t going to make TBHAC, or Humbug.

For every meat and potatoes rock song they have there’s a Piledriver Waltz or Cornerstone. 
There’s much more to them as a band than they’re credited for on here. 

Edited by zero000
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Arctics cop far too much flack on here for my liking. They get lumped in with the lad rock crowd, but the Courteeners aren’t going to make TBHAC, or Humbug.

For every meat and potatoes rock song they have there’s a Piledriver Waltz or Cornerstone. 
There’s much more to them as a band than they’re credited for on here. 

Unfortunately they largely attract the same crowds as the likes of Courtneeners which is why they get lumped in to the same boat. They’re obviously a much better band than those they get lumped in with though, and seeing a lot of people’s reactions to the last album was pretty hilarious as it really did seem to just confuse the hell out of people who only ever saw them as their ladtastic band.

They don’t really excite me as a live prospect/possible headliner though. I was there in 2013 but completely blotto so am no good measure on how good or bad they were, and I suppose I’d go see them if there was nothing else on, but I’d probably just end up getting shitfaced again so I could muster some kind of excitement. 

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

I was there in 2013 and thought they were great. I don't accept that they went down like a lead balloon either - everyone around me seemed to be having a ball - apart from Wayne Rooney, who was stood next to me and had a face like a slapped arse!

He was probably just annoyed he never made it onto the big screens like he did for the previous Pyramid headliner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They gained zero new fans with the last album and they lost fans when Alex Turner shaved his head.

Wrong. Younguns either got into their back catalogue or discovered them around the time the album came out.

My younger cousin was 11 when AM came out. When Tranquility released and the band were back making music they “discovered” them and became a mega fan.

My point is that becoming an Arctic Monkeys fan seems to be a right of passage for any teen.

Edited by Matt42

I think I’ve found the answer to my own question through this.

They didn’t release the best albums of the 00s and 10s - but they definitely released one of the most popular albums of the decade, two decades in a row.

Whatever People Say I Am   +   AM - are two of the most popular albums of the last 20 years. Especially narrows down to British bands.

I’m waiting for some hot take right now that AM wasn’t actually “that” popular of an album.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They only found out about Arctic Monkeys when they were 16? They go Hogwarts or summat?

Eh?

They were 11 in 2013 when AM came out. At 11 you just listen to whatever is on the radio or whatever your parents tell you to listen to

At the age of 16 you definitely start forming your own music taste and finding your own avenue. All of their mates were excited for the new AM album coming out so they got into them at that time.

For teens they are very much still a “cool” band to like.

Edited by Matt42

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Eh?

They were 11 in 2013 when AM came out. At 11 you just listen to whatever is on the radio or whatever your parents tell you to listen to

At the age of 16 you definitely start forming your own music taste and finding your own avenue. All of their mates were excited for the new AM album coming out so they got into them at that time.

For teens they are very much still a “cool” band to like.

Different upbringings I guess. When I was sixteen I had already been thru nu metal, indie, ringtone rap, grunge and grime phases and was circling back to indie again with nu rave just coming out.

But yeah I get your point. Same goes for the likes of Oasis and Nirvana and Rage and stuff. But if they keep going down this Serge Gainsbourg rabbit hole then they’ll quickly become pretty uncool for teens to like, particularly as years go by when their old stuff becomes the stuff that their dads listened to as a lad.

Edited by dentalplan

5 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Watched Arctic Monkeys both times they headlined and both times was an odd atmosphere with an overall feeling of disappointment/ non event.

It's hard to pinpoint why but Alex Turner's unpleasant manner and twattishness doesn't help matters. 

Maybe he knows they’re shit live?

• Upvote 1

Just now, dentalplan said:

Different upbringings I guess. When I was sixteen I had already been thru nu metal, indie, ringtone rap, grunge and grime phases and was circling back to indie again with nu rave just coming out.

But yeah I get your point. Same goes for the likes of Oasis and Nirvana and Rage and stuff. But if they keep going down this Serge Gainsbourg rabbit hole then they’ll quickly become pretty uncool for teens to like, as years go by and it’s the stuff that their dads listened to as a lad.

Alex needs to stop being such a teen hearthrob and I can’t see a future where young lads won’t be obsessed with their debut album when they discover it

It seems to encapsulate the experience of being young, and that’s why I can’t see kids finding it unrelatable in the future.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But if they keep going down this Serge Gainsbourg rabbit hole then they’ll quickly become pretty uncool for teens to like, as years go by and it’s the stuff that their dads listened to as a lad.

I honestly think AM are just one catchy song away from returning to AM levels. I don’t think their fans have gone anywhere since. They might not love Tranquility but I don’t think anyone has jumped ship.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Alex needs to stop being such a teen hearthrob

He did when he shaved his head. Grew back though so their fans came back too.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I honestly think AM are just one catchy song away from returning to AM levels.

You need to stop abbreviating the band name to AM or this happens.