2021 Headliners

SomeoneListeningIn

53 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s an outside chance in that he has nothing booked until September, but it’s more likely that his cancelled US dates will fill up next summer.

Sadly I think this is the case, but I am not going to let common sense and reason get in the way of my blind optimism!

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Been a while since we've had a runners and riders for 2021 so let's have a look at the current state of play:

Taylor Swift: One of last year's three, big question marks over whether she'll be back next year, currently not optimistic.

Kendrick Lamar: See above.

Paul McCartney: The final from last year's three, has hinted that he might be back.

Arctic Monkeys: Rumours that they will be touring next year. Would be an easy, uncontroversial booking should the fest fail to get any of the above.

The 1975: Available, strong feeling that this is their time.

Reg: Technically free next summer, but seems likely he'll reschedule his cancelled US dates.

Fleetwood Mac: Crowded House's dates make them unlikely for 21.

Madonna: Five million reasons why not.

Billie Eilish: Hottest act in the world right now and about next summer, do GF have the financial clout to land her?

Lady Gaga: Playing the Spurs ground late July, dates put her slightly out unless she's on a bigger tour.

Dua Lipa: Too soon?

George Ezra: It'll happen on the next album, 22 looks more likely.

Guns n Roses: They are over here and have a gap that weekend... still pretty unlikely though.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers: Look, they are a headline sized band and they are in Europe next summer. Be afraid.

Coldplay: "And lo, so sayeth the Book of Michael - every five years mine divine messenger Christopher Martin shalt headline thine Pyramid"

Foals: The Pablo Honey of headliner chat, seems rude not to include them

My thoughts are Lady Gaga (or Billie)/Arctic Monkeys/Paul McCartney 

6 hours ago, Wellyboot said:

Yeah knowing my luck I'll not get tix for the year they do 🙃 but fingers crossed 

My exact same fear. So we could do with them relaxing one of last years headliners really...

They seem pretty unpopular around these parts but there seems to be a few of us who love them.

8 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

My exact same fear. So we could do with them relaxing one of last years headliners really...

They seem pretty unpopular around these parts but there seems to be a few of us who love them.

Yeah but I suppose if everyone likes the same stuff it'd be like Glastonbury ticket day for every gig.. and that would be a mare!! My heart can only take that once a year!

Edited by Wellyboot

9 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I've never listened to them as I'm pretty sure they're not my thing, but equally have tried to avoid slating them without giving them a chance.

They at least deserve a listen so let me know if there's a particular song or album I should give a go.

5 hours ago, zeppelin said:

I've never listened to them as I'm pretty sure they're not my thing, but equally have tried to avoid slating them without giving them a chance.

They at least deserve a listen so let me know if there's a particular song or album I should give a go.

Always hesitant to recommend songs as they will be to my personal taste but what I will recommend is if you have Spotify then search for the "This is The 1975" playlist. 

"This is..." playlists are great, I always find them a good way to get an insight into a band/artist.

7 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Always hesitant to recommend songs as they will be to my personal taste but what I will recommend is if you have Spotify then search for the "This is The 1975" playlist. 

"This is..." playlists are great, I always find them a good way to get an insight into a band/artist.

yeah albums are a bit hit and miss to me, but they've got a good collection of singles. 

Also worth watching the Reading headline set from last year. I believe it's on iPlayer bank holiday weekend as they're putting some old sets on 

Edited by efcfanwirral

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Isn’t that all of them?

No no no, you're confusing it with the one that has the incredibly long title that seems to be going somewhere but in reality doesn't (and then ends with something profound in parentheses).

I jest (a bit). There's stuff about them that does make them an easy target for chuckles, but they do have some good tunes.  If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know) is a good tune, but it does make me think of 80s movie credits.

I think that over time they'll sit in the same bracket as Phil Collins for me (bear with me on this one).  Not a band I'll listen to albums of or have in particularly high esteem, but I'd listen to a singles collection and realise I thoroughly enjoy it.

There you have it.  The 1975 are the Phil Collins of 2020.

Edited by Quark

10 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Always hesitant to recommend songs as they will be to my personal taste

And if you're owt like me this changes daily except for 2/3

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Also worth watching the Reading headline set from last year. I believe it's on iPlayer bank holiday weekend as they're putting some old sets on 

I think its still on YouTube the full set (or it was not that long ago)

I was gonna try and suggest a few songs to try, but like Dibbs said its difficult. And I find it tricky with them to recommend one song and not the other one or two that it references/is referenced in. A lot of them are kinda linked in one way or another.

But Robbers, Love it if we made it and Milk are the best 3.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

No no no, you're confusing it with the one that has the incredibly long title that seems to be going somewhere but in reality doesn't (and then ends with something profound in parentheses).

I jest (a bit). There's stuff about them that does make them an easy target for chuckles, but they do have some good tunes.  If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know) is a good tune, but it does make me think of 80s movie credits.

I think that over time they'll sit in the same bracket as Phil Collins for me (bear with me on this one).  Not a band I'll listen to albums of or have in particularly high esteem, but I'd listen to a singles collection and realise I thoroughly enjoy it.

There you have it.  The 1975 are the Phil Collins of 2020.

They were doomed the minute some silly sod at the NME called their album “OK Computer for millennials”.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They were doomed the minute some silly sod at the NME called their album “OK Computer for millennials”.

Given birth years of 1981 to 1996 tends to be the accepted range for millennials (and I'm at the bottom end of that), the OK Computer for this millennial is OK Computer

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Given birth years of 1981 to 1996 tends to be the accepted range for millennials (and I'm at the bottom end of that), the OK Computer for this millennial is OK Computer

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m just pleased that I still count as a millennial.

Bloody kids