2021 Headliners

9 hours ago, jparx said:

Just watching Flo's set from 2015. I think it's time for them to return next year if we're looking at new headliner and there's new material. Light of Love was one of the strongest singles for a while and they absolutely deserve proper headliner billing imo. I'd typically lean towards new headliners, but Flo is someone I'd personally love to have back.

It's hard to tell, though, if the momentum has stalled or if it's just that gap between records. Hopefully the new record is big and they're in the frame.

This is such an underrated headline set. 

In hindsight I think that the band must have though they weren't ready in 2015 and that's why there was the strange situation of them being an obvious headline bump, and Emily saying that they 'could headline, but they're not' while the festival searched for a replacement headliner on another night. Makes me think that the initial idea was to headline on the fourth album and 2019 would have been the full headline set with all bell and whistles. The headline set that did actually happen in 2015 proved they were ready though, Flo smashes it.

@kingcrawler makes good points and I'm enthusiastic about them coming back to headline in the next few years. Hopefully more anthems on the next album - did like High as Hope but if those songs won't rock the house.

• Upvote 1

I struggle to see Flo coming back as a headliner now. Agree with a lot of what dental says about them maybe not feeling ready in ‘15 and waiting until further down the line, but now that it did happen in ‘15 I think they’ll be a one and done headliner that is unfortunately marred by the fact that they were a late fill in. The momentum’s gone, the last album really wasn’t all that, and I struggle to see what could give her that needed boost now. Should’ve been ‘15 from the get-go.

25 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I struggle to see Flo coming back as a headliner now. Agree with a lot of what dental says about them maybe not feeling ready in ‘15 and waiting until further down the line, but now that it did happen in ‘15 I think they’ll be a one and done headliner that is unfortunately marred by the fact that they were a late fill in. The momentum’s gone, the last album really wasn’t all that, and I struggle to see what could give her that needed boost now. Should’ve been ‘15 from the get-go.

They don't really need momentum or a boost now though - they're not stepping up. If they stalled at the level they're at then they're at Glastonbury headliner level.

If they're on the pile of easy, safe options for the festival and possess a good relationship with the bookers then, as one with a strong female presence, they have that as an advantage when the festival is probably never going to choose an all-male headline trio again. 

Do you reckon we'll see Radiohead headline again and if so, when? Having headlined three times I cant see them as being especially eager to return. I'm sure if we get a tour in a couple years time (as is rumoured) then their name will be in the running but something makes me think they may not accept the invite.

Just now, Guy Incognito said:

Do you reckon we'll see Radiohead headline again and if so, when? Having headlined three times I cant see them as being especially eager to return. I'm sure if we get a tour in a couple years time (as is rumoured) then their name will be in the running but something makes me think they may not accept the invite.

I don’t see it happening again until they’re perhaps ready to get pack it in and fancy one more go of it before doing so. Their 2017 set was about as career encompassing as you could expect - a real ‘everything we’ve got’ type deal - and at the time I was convinced it was their last one. I’m not quite as confident on that now, but I definitely don’t see them coming back on their next album tour or maybe even the one after that. They’re 3 for 3 at the moment - maybe that’s enough for them.

3 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They don't really need momentum or a boost now though - they're not stepping up. If they stalled at the level they're at then they're at Glastonbury headliner level.

If they're on the pile of easy, safe options for the festival and possess a good relationship with the bookers then, as one with a strong female presence, they have that as an advantage when the festival is probably never going to choose an all-male headline trio again. 

I don’t think they are as big as they were in 2015. I think Flo could headline the other stage in the near future.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t see it happening again until they’re perhaps ready to get pack it in and fancy one more go of it before doing so. Their 2017 set was about as career encompassing as you could expect - a real ‘everything we’ve got’ type deal - and at the time I was convinced it was their last one. I’m not quite as confident on that now, but I definitely don’t see them coming back on their next album tour or maybe even the one after that. They’re 3 for 3 at the moment - maybe that’s enough for them.

I agree with all of this. 2017 felt like my one chance to see them headline Glastonbury as I was only 1 and 7 years old respectively at the time of their first two headline shows. I'm very, very thankful I had the chance to see them take the top slot many years later. I'd love them to do it again as soon as Matt42 suggest but just don't see it happening.

35 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Whenever they release another album and maybe its just at the end of their touring cycle as opposed to being early on. They would have that kind of flexibility to making themselves available for when the time comes And its not as if the surrounding euro fests wont be clamoring to book them anyway, so theyll get their paydays in there for sure. So yeah, 2023 or later. Then I dont see them doing much after that though, and they can just end up being a legacy headliner after 2030. Thatll be the day when its Radiohead alongside 2 acts that are barely in their mid 20’s at the top of the bill. And they likely only have 1 more album in them from the sound of it coming from Ed Obrien in interviews rhat he has done promoting his solo effort. They want to maybe record some other old tracks and whatever is new. I dont think its that they arent inspired, its just a way longer process for them now because everyone has their energy in so much else.

personally for me the 2017 set was a culmination of wanting to go to the festival since they played in 97 ( and just wanting to go overall )and not being able to til now. Worth the wait all day in front of the Pyramid for it. Oddly enough it was a year that i didnt check the rumors at all about who was going to be there. I was able to secure tickets right before the sell out and then jumped for joy when the scary bear painted on the grass came up. It was just meant to be.

Edited by Suprefan

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

That’s not really my point. My view is that there will at least be one headliner each year which is an act of this decade. Look back at the previous string of headliners are there is always an act which is contemporary.

If a trio of predicted headliners could have all done it in 2007, it’s not going to happen. There will be someone a bit more “current” thrown into the mix. 

2009 being the obvious exception. There was nothing current about that line up. 

But you’re right that Glasto usually selects “current” acts. 

Obvs hoping Taylor and Kendrick are back next year, but if not The 1975 fall firmly into that bracket. 

I think they’d have headlined 2021 if 2020 had gone ahead as usual. All up in the air now of course. 

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Obvs hoping Taylor and Kendrick are back next year, but if not The 1975 fall firmly into that bracket. 

I think they’d have headlined 2021 if 2020 had gone ahead as usual. All up in the air now of course. 

This virus isn’t entirely bad after all

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

Yeah 2009 is a big glaring exception but there will always be one. In the 00s though the festival crowd was very much about bands bands bands. Nowadays people want a variety of different stuff, and a greater expectation on Glasto to have a mix of stuff.

Edited by Matt42

16 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

They're not booking enough nu-rave for my liking. I won't be happy until the festival is wall-to-wall Inbetweeners-core.

Friday - Does It Offend You, Yeah? (with SHITDISCO subbing)

Saturday - Hadouken!

Sunday - Klaxons 

39 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Radiohead won't be playing this side of 2025, let alone 2023. Far too many bands and artists coming up for them to come back, they had a 6 year break from 97 and 2003 and then a 14 year gap till they played again. 

Regular reminder that there's so many 'bands and artists coming up' the festival had to book The Killers last year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Regular reminder that there's so many 'bands and artists coming up' the festival had to book The Killers last year.

Yep who hadn't played a 'proper' set (announced on the bill) since 2007. So 12 years. 

I think if people start thinking Radiohead will play in 3 years time they'll be getting their hopes up. I'd love them to be there personally but can't see it for awhile. 

17 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Yep who hadn't played a 'proper' set (announced on the bill) since 2007. So 12 years. 

I think if people start thinking Radiohead will play in 3 years time they'll be getting their hopes up. I'd love them to be there personally but can't see it for awhile. 

Less about the length of time and more about the amount of viable headliners out there in any given year. I agree their history makes it seem unlikely but, as started a few posts back, if it's their last hurrah I don't think it's that unrealistic they'll be back sooner than expected. 

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Given the mixed response it may even have been one time too many and blotted their otherwise spotless record.

Was it? Only heard very positive opinions about that show. 

Watching that set countless times, it seemed like a magical night. And the biggest greatest hits set they've ever played. 7 Ok Computer songs! No Suprises, Lucky, Pyramid Song, Lotus Flower, Nude, Fake Plastic Trees, Idioteque, There There, Creep, Paranoid Android, Karma Police, Exit Music, Street Spirit. You'd almost forget how many big songs this band has. 

I think their 14 year break was down to a mixture of a few things. A quiet time for the band + probably some debate whether Glastonbury was the place for them anymore.

What I loved about 2017 was that they got a sure fire signal from the crowd that Glasto’s attendees still love them. I remember for years there was some silly stuff going around that Thom was unsure whether the festival was for them anymore. Very glad they were proven wrong.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

About a third of the crowd left

Didn’t notice. Was having a good time.

Really don’t think this is an indicator of anything either. Crowds move a lot at Glastonbury because the festival is so clash heavy.