2021 Headliners

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think their 14 year break was down to a mixture of a few things. A quiet time for the band + probably some debate whether Glastonbury was the place for them anymore.

What I loved about 2017 was that they got a sure fire signal from the crowd that Glasto’s attendees still love them. I remember for years there was some silly stuff going around that Thom was unsure whether the festival was for them anymore. Very glad they were proven wrong.

Well, Radiohead remain Glastonbury royalty. 

5 hours ago, nikkic said:

2009 being the obvious exception. There was nothing current about that line up. 

But you’re right that Glasto usually selects “current” acts. 

Obvs hoping Taylor and Kendrick are back next year, but if not The 1975 fall firmly into that bracket. 

I think they’d have headlined 2021 if 2020 had gone ahead as usual. All up in the air now of course. 

The original 2010 U2/Muse/Wonder trio would have been similar too.

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Muse were fucking huge at that point, one of the biggest bands on the planet.

I thought your point was there was no current mainstream booking in 2010. 

It was Muse. Sounds silly now that Muse were the commercial booking that year, but they were once what the kids were listening to!

Might not be popular on this forum, but I have a theory that Kasabian are due to headline next year, based on their Twitter Q+A last week;

1- Every answer they were giving seemed like they were taking the piss out of the question. One person even asked if Serge had allergies??

2- When asked questions about his favourite album and live performer, Serge answered Kendrick Lamar for both. Seeing that every other question seemed to be a joke, this may be an in-joke (though obviously he could just love Kendrick)

3- They haven't rescheduled their homecoming show in Leicester next year, it was just outright cancelled this year, and tickets were refunded, when near enough every other big outdoor gig this summer was moved to next year. There's only two reasons I can see for this; They're booked as an exclusive somewhere, or they were denied permission by the council to put the show on next year.

4- They have a new album due out next year

Obviously I could be putting two and two together and getting five, but thought it would be worth posting as I am so bored.

There may have even been something to say that this isn't at all possible further back in the thread, but I haven't read it yet 😂

2 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Might not be popular on this forum, but I have a theory that Kasabian are due to headline next year, based on their Twitter Q+A last week;

1- Every answer they were giving seemed like they were taking the piss out of the question. One person even asked if Serge had allergies??

2- When asked questions about his favourite album and live performer, Serge answered Kendrick Lamar for both. Seeing that every other question seemed to be a joke, this may be an in-joke (though obviously he could just love Kendrick)

3- They haven't rescheduled their homecoming show in Leicester next year, it was just outright cancelled this year, and tickets were refunded, when near enough every other big outdoor gig this summer was moved to next year. There's only two reasons I can see for this; They're booked as an exclusive somewhere, or they were denied permission by the council to put the show on next year.

Obviously I could be putting two and two together and getting five, but thought it would be worth posting as I am so bored.

There may have even been something to say that this isn't at all possible further back in the thread, but I haven't read it yet 😂

They probably just want to be asked. They are deffo the type to position their tour around glasto and make it easy for glasto to get them if they need them. I can’t see it though.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I thought your point was there was no current mainstream booking in 2010. 

It was Muse. Sounds silly now that Muse were the commercial booking that year, but they were once what the kids were listening to!

But they weren’t “new” were they? They had already headlined six years ago and were on their fifth or sixth album.

Following on from your point the booking policy for headliners seems to broadly fall into three distinct categories:

One “new” headliner who has never headlined previously who is stepping up to take their shot (Kendrick, Stormzy, Arcade Fire, Sheeran, Florence, etc)

One heritage act (Macca, The Stones, The Cure, The Who, etc)

One of the biggest acts available today (Coldplay, Swifty, Arctics, Muse, Adele, Kanye)

Now the festival doesn’t manage to get all three categories filled every year, and obviously there can be acts who may fill more than one of these, but it’s a fairly decent guide if you ask me.

7 minutes ago, K2SO said:

1&2 - I think he really likes Kendrick. Kendrick does exist outside of Glastonbury :D

3 - They played Leicester Victoria Park the year they headlined so it won't affect Glastonbury. More indicative that they're somewhere else.

4 - This is true and a reason they are in the mix.

I think it's a possibility but hopefully there are that many acts touring who would be higher up the priority list that they don't get a look-in (or they're elsewhere, R+L?).

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Really don’t see Kasabian as the kind of act who would be booked this far in advance to headline. They’re a safe back up option who will no doubt clear their schedule to make sure they’re available, but there’s no way they’re already in talks.

Indeedilly. They’re safely locked away in the “backup” Rolodex. Hopefully Emily won’t need to reach for it anytime soon.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They probably just want to be asked. They are deffo the type to position their tour around glasto and make it easy for glasto to get them if they need them. I can’t see it though.

I get what you mean, but they were booked fairly early for 2014, if I remember correctly. I think talk about them was around December time, with Arcade Fire, Prince and Kasabian the predicted lineup, until Prince pulled out and Metallica got pushed up.

I'd love to see KKasabia there again, personally. Never a disappointing live gig from them, but I suppose they're similar to someone like The Killers or Coldplay who may be considered a "safe option"

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

But they weren’t “new” were they? They had already headlined six years ago and were on their fifth or sixth album.

Following on from your point the booking policy for headliners seems to broadly fall into three distinct categories:

One “new” headliner who has never headlined previously who is stepping up to take their shot (Kendrick, Stormzy, Arcade Fire, Sheeran, Florence, etc)

One heritage act (Macca, The Stones, The Cure, The Who, etc)

One of the biggest acts available today (Coldplay, Swifty, Arctics, Muse, Adele, Kanye)

Now the festival doesn’t manage to get all three categories filled every year, and obviously there can be acts who may fill more than one of these, but it’s a fairly decent guide if you ask me.

You’re right but my point was how this seems to be a booking policy that started in the 10s. After 2010 it seems like this was a pattern Glasto started to follow.

1 minute ago, K2SO said:

Btw, can someone save me trawling the pages... Can anyone let me know where we are currently at with 2021 headliners?

Paul McCartney - directly mentioned by Emily as someone they hope will come back next year. 

No news on Kendrick or Taylor, disregarding Ken's info on Kendrick.

Just now, K2SO said:

Btw, can someone save me trawling the pages... Can anyone let me know where we are currently at with 2021 headliners?

Not a fucking clue

Some info out there that Kendrick and Taylor haven’t rescheduled their Europe dates.

Paul hasn’t rescheduled his euro dates but it’s likely that this could just be because he doesn’t plan that far in advance and would rather book a new tour when things are clearer.

Emily said before corona that there were three headliners pencilled in for 2021. She said yesterday that 2021 is likely going to be a mix of 2020 and 2021 as they had a lot for 2021 already agreed.

All still to play for. What we do know is that Glasto will continue pushing for the 50/50 split and representing a variety of music. If a female headliner (such as Taylor) doesn’t come back, expect her to be replaced by another.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Not a fucking clue

Some info out there that Kendrick and Taylor haven’t rescheduled their Europe dates.

Paul hasn’t rescheduled his euro dates but it’s likely that this could just be because he doesn’t plan that far in advance and would rather book a new tour when things are clearer.

Emily said before corona that there were three headliners pencilled in for 2021. She said yesterday that 2021 is likely going to be a mix of 2020 and 2021 as they had a lot for 2021 already agreed.

All still to play for. What we do know is that Glasto will continue pushing for the 50/50 split and representing a variety of music. If a female headliner (such as Taylor) doesn’t come back, expect her to be replaced by another.

Thanks mate... So basically all we know for "certain" is that they hope that the festival will be going ahead as normal 😂

I'm just excited to go to the festival tbh. I'd take Lewis Capaldi clipping his toenails as headliner atm!

Probably worth mentioning again on the 2020/21 mix that I know all 'main stages' (not sure how far that stretches but I know it's further than Pyramid, Other, West Holts, JP) were offered for 2021. Naturally, there will be some who can't or don't do it for whatever reason.

20 minutes ago, jparx said:

Worried those dates might just put Gaga a bit out of reach. Could do Glastonbury as the first show of the tour and a bit of a one off, then start the tour fully in July but I’m not so sure.

Could she potentially play some festivals dates within that month beforehand, to me it wouldn't seem worth her while coming all this way for 2 European dates

2 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Could she potentially play some festivals dates within that month beforehand, to me it wouldn't seem worth her while coming all this way for 2 European dates

Could do Glasto and BST in the UK?

3 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Maybe, although I think she was only doing two European dates in 2020 as well without festivals. 

If Taylor is indeed out the picture, maybe Roskilde, NOS etc also contacted her and this tour will be fleshed out with some festival dates, but I don't feel overly optimistic of that.