Oasis 2021?

blutarsky

23 hours ago, blutarsky said:

There is obviously a desire from Liam and Noel for them to do it otherwise these stories wouldn’t keep surfacing.

You obviously have no idea how the media works...

23 hours ago, blutarsky said:

As someone else said there’s a whole generation growing up who’ve never had the opportunity to see Oasis live. I’m 32 and I’m in that camp.

You had plenty of chances then...

3 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

You obviously have no idea how the media works...

You had plenty of chances then...

Thanks for your dismissive and abrupt comment based on knowing nothing about me. 

I worked as a journalist for several years, I know very well how The media works. I still have regular dealings with local press. I appreciate often the stories come from an innocuous comment being misrepresented, or from an angle being created by a journalist asking a leading question. The fact people want to read these stories means they get created. However, the fact Liam / Noel are prepared to moot the possibility of a reunion means there is *some* desire for it to happen. I’m not suggesting they are hell bent on it, but there appears to be some will between them for it to happen at some point. 

As far as not having had the chance to see Oasis goes, I appreciate they were gigging within my lifetime. However, I grew up (and still live) in a rural area. Between my 16th birthday and Oasis splitting up, they went on one world tour, abandoned a second world tour and played 3 gigs at Heaton Park, more than 400 miles from my home. In total they played 25 gigs in this country between me being of an age where I could see them and their split. Only 2 of those were within 300 miles of home. I did travel to gigs at that point, regularly travelling an hour or so to my nearest city, and on occasions went further, for example going to London to see Pixies for my 18th, but that was very much the exception. Not really much of a chance I’m sure you’ll agree.

Yes, I could have got to an Oasis gig, but it would have taken a lot of effort and expense to see a band that at the time I wasn’t crazy about. I was more interested in spending £6-10 on a gig, £8 on a train and a few quid on drinks a couple of times a month for bands I really enjoyed in small venues than on spending c£150-200 on one stadium gig. In the intervening years I’ve developed a different appreciation for Oasis. 

I think I’m fairly representative of lots of people my age and younger so I do feel there’s a demand. 

But again, thanks for your insightful input. Great example of nominative determinism given your username? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

They’re solo careers are too successful at the moment so it’s not worth having to put up with each other. It’ll happen eventually but the tickets will be 100 quid so they can do one. They were frequently rubbish live anyway. I like some of the albums though. 

One of the great misconceptions about Oasis is that they were a good live band.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Thanks for your dismissive and abrupt comment based on knowing nothing about me. 

It's an online forum, not a character reference for a crown court trial.  You don't need to make my words into more than they were.

I worked as a journalist for several years, I know very well how The media works. 

So, you should know full well that most tabloid stories about Oasis reforming are total nonsense made up with no basis of truth whatsoever, just because column inches need to be filled.  I'm a journalist, and can tell you for sure that 99.9% of stuff in showbiz or gossip columns is absolute bullshit.

However, the fact Liam / Noel are prepared to moot the possibility of a reunion means there is *some* desire for it to happen.

When has Noel mooted the possibility?

Fair point on the not seeing them reasons though - Stupid of me not to think about that possibility.  

Edited by GrumpyRaver

On 12/24/2019 at 10:34 PM, Hugh Jass said:

When they nailed it they were good though. Even in the latter years when Liams voice was a bit wrecked there are a few good gigs on youtube. Fuck paying the inevitable £100+ ticket price though. If I want that experience (I don't really) I'll go and see Liam. I've seen Noel twice at festivals and he was grand both times, I like some of his new tunes though where's most of Liam's new stuff is rubbish. Liam could never write a song like this 

9 hours ago, Madyaker said:

When they nailed it they were good though. Even in the latter years when Liams voice was a bit wrecked there are a few good gigs on youtube. Fuck paying the inevitable £100+ ticket price though. If I want that experience (I don't really) I'll go and see Liam. I've seen Noel twice at festivals and he was grand both times, I like some of his new tunes though where's most of Liam's new stuff is rubbish. Liam could never write a song like this 

I maintain that Who Built The Moon is the best album by anyone affiliated with Oasis since The Masterplan.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

That depends when you seen them. Knebworth really was a turning point in many ways.

Seen them close to a dozen times, earliest was 1997. There’s definitely a case for saying they got much worse live as they got bigger and graduated to stadia and massive outdoor shows. That Glasto show in 04 was an utter mess.

Best time I saw them was the ten year anniversary show in 2001 at Manchester Apollo.

On 12/24/2019 at 10:34 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Depends what you're after - if it's intricate musicianship that means something you won't get that but if it's a singalong and party you will. You cant hear the terrible singer anyway (seems to be a theme with Mancunian bands) 

For example I'm sure The National are a "good live band" but I've never been so bored in my life as that 2 and a half hours...but I enjoyed Liam Gallagher last month despite having no illusions it would've been terrible if I was listening out for musicianship

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2019 at 8:53 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I maintain that Who Built The Moon is the best album by anyone affiliated with Oasis since The Masterplan.

Since the end of Oasis without question, wouldn't go as for as since The Masterplan.

Feel like a lot of people didn't/haven't give WBTM a chance as they have this idea etched in their head about what Noel's about (especially off the back of his first 2 solo records). It's very good and was a huge change of direction for him

• Upvote 1