Thread for the drunkards

Bryanrebe

7 hours ago, oneeye said:

On it again this afternoon, day 2 wine tasting, trying to decide on a palatable white wine for our daughter's wedding; things you do as a parent.

Honestly, what a selfless act. I applaud you 👏

Counting down the hours until the work bar opens. Haven't been this year. $4 for a glass of wine and $3 for beer. Average bar prices are $12 and $10 respectively.

1 hour ago, Bryanrebe said:

Honestly, what a selfless act. I applaud you 👏

Counting down the hours until the work bar opens. Haven't been this year. $4 for a glass of wine and $3 for beer. Average bar prices are $12 and $10 respectively.

That's an insane price differential. It's like work must want you to get pissed. 

I used to work at a place which had a heavily subsidised bar too. It would open at lunchtime for a few hours and then again in the evening for a few hours. I never went at lunchtime because I knew I'd never be able to work in the afternoon after a drink.

I later moved to an employer where I was kind of my own boss for a number of years. At one point (during my alcoholic heyday) I made up the fact that I was going to college one day a week to study. What I actually did was to go to an IT training centre at about 10am, do about an hour and a half's study, then go into the pub over the road for the rest of the day. I was, in essence, being paid (quite well) to drink. Now, that's not a bad shout if you can pull it off.

6 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That's an insane price differential. It's like work must want you to get pissed. 

I used to work at a place which had a heavily subsidised bar too. It would open at lunchtime for a few hours and then again in the evening for a few hours. I never went at lunchtime because I knew I'd never be able to work in the afternoon after a drink.

I later moved to an employer where I was kind of my own boss for a number of years. At one point (during my alcoholic heyday) I made up the fact that I was going to college one day a week to study. What I actually did was to go to an IT training centre at about 10am, do about an hour and a half's study, then go into the pub over the road for the rest of the day. I was, in essence, being paid (quite well) to drink. Now, that's not a bad shout if you can pull it off.

The bar is run by the social club so they just charge cost and raise money during quiz nights and the like. It's on the top floor of the building that is on top of a hill anyway so it has stunning views. It's great for pre-drinks before a BYO because you can bring people from outside in. 

Mr Bryanrebe is an accountant so he gets all his booze for free... I sometimes go and crash his drinks if they're staying a bit later because I'm good friends with one of the partners from years back.

I can't drink at lunch then work it makes me too sleepy, especially if accompanied by pub grub.

Ahhhh the uni bar. Had some great craic in that place.

The bar is run by the social club so they just charge cost and raise money during quiz nights and the like. It's on the top floor of the building that is on top of a hill anyway so it has stunning views. It's great for pre-drinks before a BYO because you can bring people from outside in. 

Mr Bryanrebe is an accountant so he gets all his booze for free... I sometimes go and crash his drinks if they're staying a bit later because I'm good friends with one of the partners from years back.

I can't drink at lunch then work it makes me too sleepy, especially if accompanied by pub grub.

Ahhhh the uni bar. Had some great craic in that place.

Aaagh, you've just reminded me of another job that I , very briefly, had. I beat 360 other candidates for a job as a Trainee Cost Accountant for Smith & Nephew in Alum Rock in Birmingham. I only lasted two weeks because I found the job intolerably dull. That whole factory area is now a housing estate. I actually walked out of the office during the afternoon of what was to be my last day. Then, as they had security guards on reception (Lord knows why) I decided to exit via a fire escape door, walked along a perilously high wall (ie, a sheer drop on either side of about 20 feet), until I got adjacent to where a lamp post was. I then jumped on the lamp post, slid all the way down it, and headed home, never to return to that place again. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Aaagh, you've just reminded me of another job that I , very briefly, had. I beat 360 other candidates for a job as a Trainee Cost Accountant for Smith & Nephew in Alum Rock in Birmingham. I only lasted two weeks because I found the job intolerably dull. That whole factory area is now a housing estate. I actually walked out of the office during the afternoon of what was to be my last day. Then, as they had security guards on reception (Lord knows why) I decided to exit via a fire escape door, walked along a perilously high wall (ie, a sheer drop on either side of about 20 feet), until I got adjacent to where a lamp post was. I then jumped on the lamp post, slid all the way down it, and headed home, never to return to that place again. 

Oh man what an epic escape story 🤣

Oh man what an epic escape story 🤣

It was indeed an 'escape'. In my mind's eye I really did make the right move there. So, no regrets on that one.

Mind you, I did spend 28 years in one job. That was a bit of a mistake. It was reasonably OK paid and I was working from home for about 10 years, so it was a comfortable job. I must confess that huge portions of my working time were spent on this very site.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from work and wish I could join this thread. Another shift tomorrow though. So bedtime. Hopefully will be here tomorrow night (I mean morning) with a bottle of wine. Which should help me sleep before my night shift (which is the same day. Fuck shifts and in particular my inhumane ones).

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 12:00 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It was indeed an 'escape'. In my mind's eye I really did make the right move there. So, no regrets on that one.

Mind you, I did spend 28 years in one job. That was a bit of a mistake. It was reasonably OK paid and I was working from home for about 10 years, so it was a comfortable job. I must confess that huge portions of my working time were spent on this very site.

I've been 23 years in my current job. I do like it though, mingling with proper scientists and all. My boss is an Alcoholic it has recently been revealed, which pisses me off because I've had to take on on most of his responsibilities, for no extra money. But hey, I like a drink or two too. It does piss me off though. I love a drink, but not in work time. He turns up for Zoom meetings Drunk which is unforgivable.

22 minutes ago, bamber said:

I've been 23 years in my current job. I do like it though, mingling with proper scientists and all. My boss is an Alcoholic it has recently been revealed, which pisses me off because I've had to take on on most of his responsibilities, for no extra money. But hey, I like a drink or two too. It does piss me off though. I love a drink, but not in work time. He turns up for Zoom meetings Drunk which is unforgivable.

I had a work colleague who I never knew personally because he covered Coventry and the immediate surrounding area, and I covered the whole of Birmingham. There would be occasions when I had to email him for information for some reason or other. He never once responded to my emails. I thought he was a right w*nker for not doing so, as it meant that I couldn't progress situations for customers ( who were tenants of a housing association). Anyway, after getting nothing back from him for the nth time via email I went to my boss and blew my top about the bloke's lack of communication. My boss then told me that the bloke had been an alcoholic, trying to keep it together, and had actually died the day before from alcohol poisoning. Given that that was pretty much my own MO at the time too, I understood. An alcoholic isn't a person who is happily on the piss all of the time. An alcoholic is a deeply troubled person who needs help and probably isn't getting that help.

Oddly enough it was my introduction to Mcat (meeow meeow) that seriously curtailed my drinking. I still drink heavily, but no longer with self loathing. That's the mental killer for an alcoholic. It is a brutality like no other.

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I had a work colleague who I never knew personally because he covered Coventry and the immediate surrounding area, and I covered the whole of Birmingham. There would be occasions when I had to email him for information for some reason or other. He never once responded to my emails. I thought he was a right w*nker for not doing so, as it meant that I couldn't progress situations for customers ( who were tenants of a housing association). Anyway, after getting nothing back from him for the nth time via email I went to my boss and blew my top about the bloke's lack of communication. My boss then told me that the bloke had been an alcoholic, trying to keep it together, and had actually died the day before from alcohol poisoning. Given that that was pretty much my own MO at the time too, I understood. An alcoholic isn't a person who is happily on the piss all of the time. An alcoholic is a deeply troubled person who needs help and probably isn't getting that help.

Oddly enough it was my introduction to Mcat (meeow meeow) that seriously curtailed my drinking. I still drink heavily, but no longer with self loathing. That's the mental killer for an alcoholic. It is a brutality like no other.

True that. I want to help my boss and have reached out to him, but he seems to be in a bad space right now. There are several of us in his team and our line manager all reaching out, but there is no response. I like the guy and he is is very capable when he is is sober, but, right now, he seems to be in full self-destruct mode. He has alienated his family, his children, and is super negative about everything. There are so many programs and options that he could get in on but he has not turned up for anything we have booked him on to. It is so disappointing. Hard to know what to do next.

7 hours ago, bamber said:

True that. I want to help my boss and have reached out to him, but he seems to be in a bad space right now. There are several of us in his team and our line manager all reaching out, but there is no response. I like the guy and he is is very capable when he is is sober, but, right now, he seems to be in full self-destruct mode. He has alienated his family, his children, and is super negative about everything. There are so many programs and options that he could get in on but he has not turned up for anything we have booked him on to. It is so disappointing. Hard to know what to do next.

Sounds like your boss is going to end up the same way as my work colleague did.

I have an unhealthy addiction of my own, and probably drink way more than anybody should, every day. However, I am able to function - most of the time. 

8 hours ago, bamber said:

If you can't pull off being sober on a Zoom meeting then you've got a serious problem.

I've only done hungover/still a bit pissed from the night before on a Zoom meeting personally - but it's not exactly hard to style it out from that distance!

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

If you can't pull off being sober on a Zoom meeting then you've got a serious problem.

I've only done hungover/still a bit pissed from the night before on a Zoom meeting personally - but it's not exactly hard to style it out from that distance!

are you sure ? .... 🙂 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Homer said:

Ha - I didn't realise the Zoom meets were classed as official business! Please send me over the minutes (I've only got those notes I took on my phone that time!).

Ah I’d missed the official business bit out 🙂 ... glastonbury chat is pretty official though 🙂 and definately as important 

8 hours ago, John the Moth said:

‘Misty Miyagi’ hazy IPA

35C6A81C-A080-4770-8F3E-F76ED6753503.jpeg

That certainly looks like it'd make you hazy alright.

The last time I had a pint of real ale was just before Xmas 2020, which is the last time that I was in a pub. I mostly drink at home anyway, but it'd be nice to have a few real ales in a pub beer garden this summer. 

My nephew is a head brewer at what I think is a new start up business (not his own). He studied brewing in Scotland, then spent a few years at Brewdog, and is now where he is now - CTZN Brew in London. I believe they are opening up a venue this spring. Not a great time to opening a venue like this, but I sincerely hope they and he does well. He's a lovely lad.