Thread for the drunkards

Bryanrebe

On 4/2/2021 at 6:17 AM, John the Moth said:

Soooo much freedom here in NZ and I’m very grateful, just don’t try and buy a pint on Good Friday.

D3CCBA63-50DE-4F0F-BDFD-12EA1EE2B7EF.gif

I fondly remember setting in the back of a car in Nelson at 11pm on Good Friday 2011, having just run out of Speights, then queuing to get into a bar at midnight. Carefree times. 

15 hours ago, bamber said:

Most of that is Stewart Lee, only the agreeing on the obnoxiousness was me / us. It is a formidable list of genuine quotes nonetheless. Stewart Lee is the very finest of Englishmen left, there are very few.

It's not, to my mind at least. a sad claim to fame ,but merely an observation. And that is that I went to secondary school with Richard Thomas, who co wrote Jerry Springer: The Opera , with Stewart Lee. My wife bangs on about how good Stewart Lee is, but I'd be no god identifying him a police mug fit type stylee line up.

Bottle of wine and watching Queen Rock Montreal on BBC2 now.

Who'd have thought it would start with We Will Rock You eh?

God I miss the pubs at weekends. And it's not going to be the same or as enjoyable for a while when they reopen methinks.

19 hours ago, MrZigster said:

God I miss the pubs at weekends. And it's not going to be the same or as enjoyable for a while when they reopen methinks.

Pub gardens were pretty decent when they opened before I thought. Pus a lot of pubs seem to be adding outdoor space.

21 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I watched that with a couple of nice IPAs last night, very pleasant end to the evening.

We've got the inlaws round for a BBQ today, had a few very good ciders whilst cooking, now moved onto the IPAs with this number from Cloudwater.  Grapefruit and bitter orange.  Glad the weather today has been better than anticipated.  Nice little alcohol buzz starting as well as we sit round our fire pit

NBF0404.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, morph100 said:

Probably on my own due to it being a Tuesday but it’s my birthday tomorrow and I’ve started early on the stupidly strong Belgium beer, what could possibly go wrong ......

happy birthday! 🤩🥳 hope you have a lovely day!!

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Belated birthday best wishes.

Did anything go wrong?

Did anything go right?

It was good and food based:

avocado on toast for breakfast 

3 course meal out in restaurant garden for lunch

huge cheese board for dinner

13 minutes ago, morph100 said:

What’s the difference between a pub and a bar? 

pub has dogs, children and dart board, bars will not allow these things....anything else?

Yes, in lay man's terms, please could you explain the Riemann Hypothesis?

Seriously though, what you have stated above has never registered with me before. Mind you, it must be said that not all pubs will have dart boards. Apart from that bit, it's a spot on.

I don't really like dart boards in pubs. I don't really like dart boards at all, in fact. In case you were wondering, I've not had a bad experience with darts or a dart board. There is nothing hidden in my youth (that I know of) which would cause such a position to be adopted. I don't like board games either. Oh, and I don't follow any sport. Mind you, I did used to contentedly watch Olympic skiing events when there wasn't much else on the telly.

Anyway, you bastard morph100 - you've somehow given me the truth drug, and boy am I spilling the beans. Internally I fear for the readers' sanity. 

Those last six words. I'm wondering if readers' is the proper way of expressing the plural of the singular, so to speak. This gets weirder if you try to say it this way - 'I'm wondering if 'readers'' is the proper way etc. The thing is, you get two of these ('') next to each other. Could that be correct, or also correct, I wonder? If so then it would mean that the last sentence could be written -'The thing is, you get two of these '''' next to each other.

I'd better go now because it's boring me, so you lot must be in even more pain.

Soz.

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

Pubs sell cheese and onion cobs and show the footie. Bars sell rich imperialist tidbits and show feck all.

I can see a sports bar showing footy and a posh bar selling artisan bread with aged cheddar and caramelised onions 🙂

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes, in lay man's terms, please could you explain the Riemann Hypothesis?

Seriously though, what you have stated above has never registered with me before. Mind you, it must be said that not all pubs will have dart boards. Apart from that bit, it's a spot on.

I don't really like dart boards in pubs. I don't really like dart boards at all, in fact. In case you were wondering, I've not had a bad experience with darts or a dart board. There is nothing hidden in my youth (that I know of) which would cause such a position to be adopted. I don't like board games either. Oh, and I don't follow any sport. Mind you, I did used to contentedly watch Olympic skiing events when there wasn't much else on the telly.

Anyway, you bastard morph100 - you've somehow given me the truth drug, and boy am I spilling the beans. Internally I fear for the readers' sanity. 

Those last six words. I'm wondering if readers' is the proper way of expressing the plural of the singular, so to speak. This gets weirder if you try to say it this way - 'I'm wondering if 'readers'' is the proper way etc. The thing is, you get two of these ('') next to each other. Could that be correct, or also correct, I wonder? If so then it would mean that the last sentence could be written -'The thing is, you get two of these '''' next to each other.

I'd better go now because it's boring me, so you lot must be in even more pain.

Soz.

As an English teacher and former sub-editor I can help! The generally accepted convention is that when analysing literature and discussing the impact on those reading, we refer to a singular reader. Therefore, the conventional way for you to use ‘reader’ in the context above would be: reader’s. 

/nerdmode

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, morph100 said:

I can see a sports bar showing footy and a posh bar selling artisan bread with aged cheddar and caramelised onions 🙂

Sports bars are just pubs with more than two tellys and shit memorabilia stapled to the ceiling... and you know what you can do with yer artisan bread ya posho 🤣

5 hours ago, blutarsky said:

As an English teacher and former sub-editor I can help! The generally accepted convention is that when analysing literature and discussing the impact on those reading, we refer to a singular reader. Therefore, the conventional way for you to use ‘reader’ in the context above would be: reader’s. 

/nerdmode

Nice one. Thanks for explaining that blutarsky. 

Now, to move onto the trickier bit - what about the line - 'The thing is, you get two of these '''' next to each other.

Is it actually possible to correctly be able to put '''' into a sentence? 

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Nice one. Thanks for explaining that blutarsky. 

Now, to move onto the trickier bit - what about the line - 'The thing is, you get two of these '''' next to each other.

Is it actually possible to correctly be able to put '''' into a sentence? 

Unless it’s a verbatim quote where putting speech marks next to an apostrophe is unavoidable, I’d always suggest just rewriting to avoid it, otherwise it is confusing!