Thread for the drunkards

Bryanrebe

20 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Big Pratchett fan. Did get through a few Rankins but a poor mans Pratchett imo. I liked the Pratchett quote on the early Rankin books. Something along the lines of "I can see I'll have to watch out for Mr Rankin". Possibly a veiled way of saying "He's nicking my style".

And wasn't Rowling's Hogwarts just a blatant rip off of Unseen University? Harry Potter even looks like Windle Poons ffs.

Anyway, just opened a bottle of wine here. Cheers drunkards.  

More contemporaries I would say. Antipope was published a couple of years before Colour of Magic.

And Potter = Ponder Stibbons, shurely?

Just now, Quark said:

More contemporaries I would say. Antipope was published a couple of years before Colour of Magic.

And Potter = Ponder Stibbons, shurely?

Ooh. Didn't realise that. 

And I'll have to check the Poons/Stibbons thing but I have a feeling that you are right. It was Pratchett that made the observation iirc.

I made a right arse of myself with my assertions there then. I'm blaming the wine.

35 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Ooh. Didn't realise that. 

And I'll have to check the Poons/Stibbons thing but I have a feeling that you are right. It was Pratchett that made the observation iirc.

I made a right arse of myself with my assertions there then. I'm blaming the wine.

Never blame the wine! 😉

7 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Moved to the snug bar of the TV thread for a while.

But I'm back.

2nd bottle of wine about to be cracked.

Aperol spritz. Went a bit mad on the wines last night with a friend making her was back to the UK on Tuesday.

20210307_193112.jpg

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Homer said:

Klassic kiwi celebrity kulture konversation in the ca... kar on the way back from getting a pie from Greenwich.

Gotye Somebody I Used to Know comes on the radio.

The wife: The female singer on this is a kiwi... my sister knows her.

Kimbra? 
That song was everywhere in 2011, then I returned to the UK in 2012 and six months later it was over here. A rare occasions where NZ is ahead of the rest of the world as opposed to 20 years behind 😉 

40 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Kimbra? 
That song was everywhere in 2011, then I returned to the UK in 2012 and six months later it was over here. A rare occasions where NZ is ahead of the rest of the world as opposed to 20 years behind 😉 

I saw Kimbra perform late 2018, she was support on David Byrne’s American Utopia tour.

11 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Kimbra? 

Yes indeed. Apparently they used to go to the same church in Auckland.

The fact that it sounded so much like 'Ba ba black sheep' kind of put me off.

13 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Kimbra? 

Currently extremely happy to be behind the rest of the world when it comes to Covid. Got my second festival for the year in a couple of weeks 😜

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Currently extremely happy to be behind the rest of the world when it comes to Covid. Got my second festival for the year in a couple of weeks 😜

Yeah, but surely a double-edged sword when you can only watch domestic bands! 🤗 hopefully they’ll let some Aussie ones in for you soon! 🤗 (🤗)

any idea when you guys will be vaccinating? We were planning on coming over for Xmas - but the latest word was the border may still be closed then!

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Yeah, but surely a double-edged sword when you can only watch domestic bands! 🤗 hopefully they’ll let some Aussie ones in for you soon! 🤗 (🤗)

any idea when you guys will be vaccinating? We were planning on coming over for Xmas - but the latest word was the border may still be closed then!

Crowded House is touring so 😍

We've bought 10 million doses which is more than we'll need due to anti vaxxers. We won't see them until the second half of the year though so I doubt we'll be open to visitors 🤷‍♀️

27 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

Crowded House is touring so 😍

We've bought 10 million doses which is more than we'll need due to anti vaxxers. We won't see them until the second half of the year though so I doubt we'll be open to visitors 🤷‍♀️

Ha - but of course they are! Am a bit surprised that FOTC haven't come out to save the day. You can prob correct me if I'm wrong on this, but they don't seem to have played NZ for years and as far as i can figure they're both down in Wellington.

Ah well, I'll just rock up, throw my British (not blue yet sadly) passport around at the airport, shout a bit and I'm sure they'll let me in.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Ha - but of course they are! Am a bit surprised that FOTC haven't come out to save the day. You can prob correct me if I'm wrong on this, but they don't seem to have played NZ for years and as far as i can figure they're both down in Wellington.

Ah well, I'll just rock up, throw my British (not blue yet sadly) passport around at the airport, shout a bit and I'm sure they'll let me in.

Got my Crowded House tix in the bag 🙂

My bro in law is hoping that visit in November, so I’m hoping the rollout here goes well and that the borders may open to vaccinated persons... not holding my breath on that score though.

14 hours ago, Homer said:

I saw a show Bret was doing last year but FOTC concerts are few and far between these days. They're pretty busy on other projects so I'm happy for them that they don't have to perform to survive. Plus they're making amazing things (Wellington Paranormal is phenomenal). 

4 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

I'm drunk at 1350 on a Wednesday as it's my last week of unemployment before starting my new job, considering fixing up an old fashioned

I think I'll join you, no work til Monday, though I do have a few DIY commitments in the next few days; DIY - Don't Involve Yourself 🤣