Thread for the drunkards

Bryanrebe

11 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the find at Bramshill was the big bust of Operation Julie.

It was manufactured in Wales but seizures were made in other places too.

(I read the Operation Julie book written by the copper, I guess you have too. Bramshill stuck in my head cos it was near-ish to where i used to live; it might not have registered as strongly with you.)

Hello Neil,

I appreciate your response. I actually haven't read his book, so don't know the fine minutia. I do like that detail on this subject, but am kind of fully fed with non UK 'operations'. Well, up to now, that is. Is it worth a read? If you say yes, I will do just that.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Nearly 6am here. Don't be too alarmed - I have an extremely flexible job and am up at this time semi-regularly.

Still - back in the white russians, enjoying the imminent end of Trump but also sad at the impossibility of my attendance at Glasto 2021.

I might wake up at 6am tomorrow and watch the inauguration with a glass of pinot noir. Or just wait until he hopefully gets arrested.

12 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Neil,

I appreciate your response. I actually haven't read his book, so don't know the fine minutia. I do like that detail on this subject, but am kind of fully fed with non UK 'operations'. Well, up to now, that is. Is it worth a read? If you say yes, I will do just that.

I think the book I read must have been this one:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Undercover-Operation-Julie-Inside-Story/dp/621961903X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=operation+julie+bentley&qid=1611127476&sr=8-1

It was worth a read to 20 year old me who was fascinated with true stories like this. 

46 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think the book I read must have been this one:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Undercover-Operation-Julie-Inside-Story/dp/621961903X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=operation+julie+bentley&qid=1611127476&sr=8-1

It was worth a read to 20 year old me who was fascinated with true stories like this. 

Thanks for that Neil. I will get a copy of that once I've got through my other drug and prison story factual book pile - which seems to be ever increasing. I've read a fair few books in this area already and can understand why your 20 year old self was fascinated by these true stories. 

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Thanks for that Neil. I will get a copy of that once I've got through my other drug and prison story factual book pile - which seems to be ever increasing. I've read a fair few books in this area already and can understand why your 20 year old self was fascinated by these true stories. 

in a similar-ish vein, the book that gripped me the most was this one:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Helter-Skelter-Story-Manson-Murders/dp/1787461181/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+manson+murders&qid=1611131600&sr=8-1

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I've read it. Or at least I think I have. However, I'd have read it in the early 80's not 2018 like that book states. However, I've partially looked into and realise that it's the same author as the year of my book, so guess it must be the same.

I read that book in odd circumstances. I happened to once find myself living in a vicars house on the coast in Walton-on-the-Naze. I was renting it with other students. I lasted there about two weeks and then fucked off to live on Somebody's floor in Colchester. Anyway, I digress - that book was in the vicars accommodation. As I had an allergy to going to university I decided on my first day in the second year to read that book instead of going into do my studies. A year that I only got into because I knew somebody dodgy in the Mathematics department who changed all my marks for the whole year. he even tried to nick me the exam paper, and was bitterly disappointed that he couldn't. Anyway, his involvement did the trick anyway.

Oh, and yes I have had a breakfast smoke, so am rambling.

Anyway, that book - Yes, a fine read indeed.

I can't limit myself to one, so am going to be cheeky and give you four suggestions ( what a cheeky bastard, eh!) I'll list them via Amazon for convenience;

HARROWING

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Damage-Done-Twelve-Bangkok-Prison/dp/184018275X

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Welcome-Hell-Inside-Bangkok-Hilton/dp/0954870778/ref=pd_sbs_6?pd_rd_w=tIsYh&pf_rd_p=c1b0d6b0-0f46-4d06-b951-a1c184c4ce91&pf_rd_r=3PAKDGHJH7CGRDHQ4PB3&pd_rd_r=ded05a8f-2645-4977-b0f4-58b1401f3fcf&pd_rd_wg=C9kJr&pd_rd_i=0954870778&psc=1

COMPLETELY FASCINATING

Not sure why this has the rating that it has on Amazon. This bloke makes James Bond look like Mr. Bean. It's fucking incredible what this bloke got up to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Escape-Westerner-Thailands-Bangkok-Hilton/dp/9810575688

THIS WOULD HIT YOU ON ANOTHER LEVEL ENTIRELY. IT'S HARD FOR ME TO EXPLAIN RIGHT NOW.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=no+more+tomorr&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Got two boozy weekends lined up. Pre mixed vodka and gin sodas are huge here at the moment. I think because they're extremely low calorie.

This is them https://drink-mc.co.nz/pages/pals.

These big anywhere else? I like them be arsed they're relatively hydrating so good on a hot day. Love to drunk them on a hot day at the Farm!

35 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

Got two boozy weekends lined up. Pre mixed vodka and gin sodas are huge here at the moment. I think because they're extremely low calorie.

This is them https://drink-mc.co.nz/pages/pals.

These big anywhere else? I like them be arsed they're relatively hydrating so good on a hot day. Love to drunk them on a hot day at the Farm!

I've never heard of Pals, but those type of drinks are popular with some over here. One of my mates, whose not much of a drinker, buys them for festivals as they are lower volume alcohol than mixing your own. The other benefit they have is that they are in cans as glass isn't allowed at festivals.

Strangely enough, I'm drinking one of these right now (at 9.40am in the morning);

Gordon's Gin &Tonic 250Ml Can - Tesco Groceries

Normally it would be 40% gin and tonic I'd be drinking, but these were the only things in the house. 

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've never heard of Pals, but those type of drinks are popular with some over here. One of my mates, whose not much of a drinker, buys them for festivals as they are lower volume alcohol than mixing your own. The other benefit they have is that they are in cans as glass isn't allowed at festivals.

Strangely enough, I'm drinking one of these right now (at 9.40am in the morning);

Gordon's Gin &Tonic 250Ml Can - Tesco Groceries

Normally it would be 40% gin and tonic I'd be drinking, but these were the only things in the house. 

Gordon's premixed g&t have been a staple here for years. Great when you're sick of cider or wine at our work bar that doesn't serve pure spirits!

Covid=desperate times. I found myself drinking homemade gin from cheap vodka that I added juniper berries to 😭

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid question but why does or should I say can everyone eat BACON for breakfast at festivals.... Its a nightmare it's the THE WORST THING I can think of after a night at a festival.. Anyone the same or am I the only one... 

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Stupid question but why does or should I say can everyone eat BACON for breakfast at festivals.... Its a nightmare it's the THE WORST THING I can think of after a night at a festival.. Anyone the same or am I the only one... 

bacon has salt and grease the two min minerals lost during a night on the tiles. If you can’t chew you Can suck the goodness out.

I have no idea how vegetarians recover, maybe via Stilton?

2 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Pre-vegetarian I also hated the idea for bacon at breakfast. My stomach can't bare the smell of it most mornings, let alone when I'm dusty as all hell.

39 minutes ago, morph100 said:

bacon has salt and grease the two min minerals lost during a night on the tiles. If you can’t chew you Can suck the goodness out.

Glorious haloumi dripping in butter with a squeeze of lemon. Bliss 🥰

11 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

Pre-vegetarian I also hated the idea for bacon at breakfast. My stomach can't bare the smell of it most mornings, let alone when I'm dusty as all hell.

Glorious haloumi dripping in butter with a squeeze of lemon. Bliss 🥰

Them fried haloumi fries from Camden market, Aldi and other places are A May zingers 

11 hours ago, morph100 said:

Never thought of sucking the goodness out.. My wife once made me eat half a chicken.. Took me a whole hour.... I must have looked very strange lol.. Stilton.. Wow never thought of that.. Usually I have to cornbeef hash and suck that down..... Or even better when it was there the Dorset blue SOUP... Agggg 

I have half a wheel in the fridge.. 

In an effort to consume less alcohol by volume I've started drinking John Smiths. I fly through the first 6 cans but then I kinda go off it, so it's working. The taste reminds me of 20 years ago when I was 16, going to the wetherspoons during my lunchbreak at college, having a dry burger and a pint for £2.50.

That and going to the dogs.

On 2/23/2021 at 2:19 AM, Homer said:

Just somehow managed to do all my work (almost) - feels like some sort of celebration may be in order.

Was a celebration had?

On 2/23/2021 at 2:43 AM, Padjeq said:

In an effort to consume less alcohol by volume I've started drinking John Smiths. I fly through the first 6 cans but then I kinda go off it, so it's working. The taste reminds me of 20 years ago when I was 16, going to the wetherspoons during my lunchbreak at college, having a dry burger and a pint for £2.50.

That and going to the dogs.

I do this with really sweet cider. There's only so much I can handle before it's too much sugar.

Wish I could say that about the 10 gin sodas I just drank... 😭

As we are now just a couple of weeks away from a full year of being in some form of lockdown/restrictions being in place - how would we all review our ‘Year of Booze’?

For me, I know I’ve certainly drank much, much less than I usually do. Just without the weekly pub visits, drinks after work/on lunch etc. And I definitely feel better for it. But some of my friends have drank much more, usually just due to a couple of beers each night. 

18 hours ago, st dan said:

As we are now just a couple of weeks away from a full year of being in some form of lockdown/restrictions being in place - how would we all review our ‘Year of Booze’?

For me, I know I’ve certainly drank much, much less than I usually do. Just without the weekly pub visits, drinks after work/on lunch etc. And I definitely feel better for it. But some of my friends have drank much more, usually just due to a couple of beers each night. 

I’ve drunk more but only been drunk 2-3 times. Ordinarily I’d get properly pissed at several bbqs, between 5-10 gigs, a few festivals, after rugby / at a social 6-7 times and at 3-4 big parties plus events like Christmas and new year. When I drank at home in the past it was never more than once a week, always at the weekend and it was one maybe 2 beers. Even including going out i’d only drink one night a week, excepting events like G. 

This past year I’ve probably drunk at home a minimum of 2 nights a week and up to 5 at times. Most of that time I’ve had 3-4 beers and on occasion more. 

In summary I’ve drunk waaay more regularly, but probably less by volume. 

Last time I was properly drunk was during our Glasthomebury celebrations.