Jump to content
DJL

Volunteering 2020

Recommended Posts

The one thing to be aware of with Oxfam & Shelter volunteering is that you are on hold for months, then sometime in the spring you suddenly need to be able apply at 10am on a workday at a couple of days notice!

So far I have been really lucky with my availability but I dread getting told on a Friday that I am due to apply at 10am on Monday when I’ll be in a meeting and there’s no getting out of it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I'm lucky enough to get a ticket today, I am still continuing with my application to Medical Services and won't turn them down if I get a role.

Although it means working in 2020 when I don't have to, I'm looking more long term, after 15 years suffering ticket day I'm ready to call quits on it and work in future years.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth mentioning that with Oxfam you could end up doing a 10pm-6am and a 2pm-10pm shift over the weekend.  If you can live with that I’d recommend it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Even though I'm lucky enough to get a ticket today, I am still continuing with my application to Medical Services and won't turn them down if I get a role.

Although it means working in 2020 when I don't have to, I'm looking more long term, after 15 years suffering ticket day I'm ready to call quits on it and work in future years.

 

We're hopefully applying as well (we haven't got tickets for 2020 but the stress of it is getting a bit much tbh). I've been in contact with someone else on here and already emailed the FMS office this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, amfy said:

The one thing to be aware of with Oxfam & Shelter volunteering is that you are on hold for months, then sometime in the spring you suddenly need to be able apply at 10am on a workday at a couple of days notice!

So far I have been really lucky with my availability but I dread getting told on a Friday that I am due to apply at 10am on Monday when I’ll be in a meeting and there’s no getting out of it!

Spot on this. I got lucky and managed to swap off of a shift at short notice this year. If that hadn't happened I'd have missed the window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

If you go with Festaff you need to do another event with them, and you don't get your deposit back until after the second event.

They have confirmed that they are no longer doing that in 2020.

The new system is that you need to have worked 2 festivals the year before, to get priority access to volunteer spaces the next year. So for example, work 2 festivals in 2019, then get priority access in 2020 (without the need to work a sister event in 2020).

Then any remaining places for 2020 go out to anybody, without the need to work a sister event. However you might still want to work a second festival for priority access in 2021 anyway, but at least it's your own decision now rather than a forced thing.

Edited by Sku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry heads all in a bit of a spin so im going to be doing one of the most common things and say apologies if its been covered already ...  what sites/charitys  allow you to cancel after resale time ? and loose deposit ..... my heads not in this at the moment as I consider it to be my holiday ... having said that ... id put a shift in if I did end up working 

Edited by crazyfool1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

@crazyfool1When I looked on Friday Oxfam you had 6 weeks before your first shift, and festaff was 5 weeks. So it would allow time for the resale before deciding.

and oxfam requirement is 2 festivals ... festaff 1 ....  both doing a similar job ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

and oxfam requirement is 2 festivals ... festaff 1 ....  both doing a similar job ?

Oxfam don't require you to do a second festival for Stewarding, which is the vast bulk of their places.

They do give priority access to people who did 2 or more festivals the previous year (or who meet certain other criteria). They also do require a second festival for the Campaigner roles, so one of thoses probably where you read it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DJL said:

I haven't done it since 2013 (Oxfam) but I'm going to this year. Wouldn't mind trying someone different - going to go through the 2019 thread but thought worthwhile starting a new one.

 

I would recommend it. Walking around an empty site on the Tuesday and welcoming people on site on the Wednesday morning at open of the gates are two of biggest highlights ever...

What do you actually do volunteering for Oxfam?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

sorry heads all in a bit of a spin so im going to be doing one of the most common things and say apologies if its been covered already ...  what sites/charitys  allow you to cancel after resale time ? and loose deposit ..... my heads not in this at the moment as I consider it to be my holiday ... having said that ... id put a shift in if I did end up working 

Wateraid did for 2019, that was the main reason we went with them rather than one of the other big ones. It's also only a £50 deposit rather than a full cost of ticket and they pay for your transport. 

While wateraid's organisation is at times lacking, I can't recommend doing toilet duty enough. We really enjoyed it and it really isn't as bad as you would expect. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you everyone ... concept of working my holiday is the issue here .... along with attending without my best friend who im sure would struggle getting all the time off with the wife .... there's time to work this out though ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep I think this is the route for me now. Did Oxfam this year and loved it. Hoping to get  in again and have mates join me for next year. Wasn’t able to do a second event in 2019 so don’t have priority but hopeful. Just need to wait til Feb/Mar which is painful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know if volunteering with FMS requires an interview and if they accept doctors not in a formal training programme but with 4+ years of experience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flysheet said:

We're hopefully applying as well (we haven't got tickets for 2020 but the stress of it is getting a bit much tbh). I've been in contact with someone else on here and already emailed the FMS office this morning.

OK, good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smeble said:

What do you actually do volunteering for Oxfam?

Mostly Ped and Vehicle gates. Directing people, checking tickets, handing out programs, pass outs and re-entry. Basically everything you see on a gate that isn't security or wristbanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zico martin said:

Still kinda I'm shock after missing out this morning and love the idea of volunteering. But am I too old (48)? And if my wife volunteers as well would we basically not see each other all festival?

You say youre together and Should get the same shifts, and 48 nope... young pup , go for it, it’s superb being able to get on early and Crew bar access 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is full of helpful information so far.  Thank you.  

I have a couple of questions about applying for Oxfam.  I know places aren't available until Feb/Mar time but how does this work?  Can you do your application in advance and just submit it the day applications open? or can it only be done on the day?  Whats involved with the application? do you need your referee at the same time? Sorry for all the questions just wondering how difficult it may be to apply as there may be a lot of people interested.

X  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've considered volunteering for a while now and after this morning I'm going to go for it, think it will give me a totally new perspective on the festival and to be fair working inside the festival has got to better than working at my desk outside of it !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jensescapade said:

This is full of helpful information so far.  Thank you.  

I have a couple of questions about applying for Oxfam.  I know places aren't available until Feb/Mar time but how does this work?  Can you do your application in advance and just submit it the day applications open? or can it only be done on the day?  Whats involved with the application? do you need your referee at the same time? Sorry for all the questions just wondering how difficult it may be to apply as there may be a lot of people interested.

X  

It’s a rush again I’m afraid, not sure about tte specifics,  I think you registrar beforehand and then do you app onthe day with referee having a timeframe in which to reply.  There were the odd ofpxfam places coming up until a few weeks / a month before the festival this year, I guess as people backed out 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jensescapade said:

This is full of helpful information so far.  Thank you.  

I have a couple of questions about applying for Oxfam.  

X  

Their faq is pretty good https://oxfamapps.org/festivals/faq.php

@Funkyfairy! I managed to get my nephew a volunteering place the Friday morning before the festival. He did the training online straight away, got the reference straight away. Monday after we were on the farm. Still buzzing.

Edited by March Hare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...