Volunteering 2020

DJL

11 minutes ago, Jensescapade said:

@March Hare and @Funkyfairy! thank you.  I registered interest a few weeks ago and have read the FAQ's which are really helpful.  I wasn't sure about what I would need to do on the day places opened :) X

Here are the stewards shift patterns for Oxfam for 2019. There are variations to this, some people got Monday morning, some didn’t get an overnight etc.  You get assigned it on arrival so you have to ask - would you still enjoy the festival if you got (what you think) are the ‘worst’ shift groups?

530FB6CA-108C-4860-BF84-3D7B19F55724.jpeg

6 minutes ago, grayzer1 said:

Does anybody know if wateraid have their own field to camp in like Oxfam have? And if so can you bring a campervan? 

This year Wateraid were in the same field as the recycling crew (Tom's Field up behind the farmhouse) so inside the fence as opposed to Oxfam who are outside the gate.  You wouldn't be able, therefore, to bring a campervan into the Wateraid field.  Friends of mine who I work on recycling with bring their campervan every year but have to park it in the same field as the general public. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jensescapade said:

@March Hare Oooo they look good to me.  As long as I get to see some acts and wander I'm very happy :)  x

That’s the way I look at it. I got through today but booked 6 places for my mates. I’d rather be there with Oxfam. The Monday/Tuesday nights in the staff bars are fun too.

There is a Oxfam Festivals Chat on FB that is useful.

Edited by March Hare

11 minutes ago, dondo said:

This year Wateraid were in the same field as the recycling crew (Tom's Field up behind the farmhouse) so inside the fence as opposed to Oxfam who are outside the gate.  You wouldn't be able, therefore, to bring a campervan into the Wateraid field.  Friends of mine who I work on recycling with bring their campervan every year but have to park it in the same field as the general public. 

As of 2019 year (with the inflated numbers) Wateraid were in the field next to recycling but shared all of the resources with them. Made for an annoyingly long walk to the toilet!

I was so disappointed this morning when neither me nor any of mates were able to get a ticket. In fact, it’s the first year everyone I know struck out. Well done to those who got a ticket.

Scanning through some of the volunteering options has made me feel a lot better though. I’d actually be really excited to see the other side of the festival, even if it means missing out on some of the bands. 

The Oxfam campaigning spots look fun. Is there anyone who’s done that and can give some insight on the application process? Is it usually really oversubscribed?

How likely do you think i am to get a volunteer spot? Im turning 18 in december and have volunteered at vfestival for a macmillan before and wrist banded on muse' stadium tour this year. We missed out on tickets this morning but ive been every year since 2016 and cannot miss the 50th!!!

27 minutes ago, March Hare said:

That’s the way I look at it. I got through today but booked 6 places for my mates. I’d rather be there with Oxfam. The Monday/Tuesday nights in the staff bars are fun too.

There is a Oxfam Festivals Chat on FB that is useful.

Staff bar.  It's sounding even better :) I joined the Oxfam group a few days ago. x

1 hour ago, Jensescapade said:

Staff bar.  It's sounding even better :) I joined the Oxfam group a few days ago. x

Missed your question about what to do when applications open. Pay your deposit, then you get a week to provide information such as a reference etc. Got to book onto some training too, takes half a day.  They are all over the UK but there are also a handful of online options (the latter book out quick from what I’m told)

14 minutes ago, Puttycat1 said:

Is volunteering at Glastonbury with festaff hard to get into for a newbie? Does any one know their application process? Their website seems to be down at the moment.

I think, like Oxfam, if you did two festivals with them in 2019 you get priority. Then it opens up for everyone else a few weeks later 

Edited by March Hare

20 minutes ago, Homersexual said:

Has anyone worked the bars before? What are they like? I have extensive bar experience so I’m thinking of going that route. Who do you apply with? I’ll literally do anything to get a ticket next year.

It used to just be the Workers Beer Company running the public bars at Glastonbury, but after they lost their monopoly several years ago, there are now at least 2 other companies running them.  You'll only get a WBC volunteer position via one of the campaigning groups affiliated to them.  Your best bet is to do a bit of Googling for something like 'WBC glastonbury volunteer team' to try and find groups with teams which you might be able to get on - e.g. your trade union at work.

I've lost track of who's running the other bars, but as Steve says above, Shelter provide the staff for some.

WBC bar work is pretty good, although it can get a bit manic/stressful depending on how well the bar you're on is managed.  If it's all going well, then it's easy production-line work - the beers are already poured and you're mainly just swapping pints for cash or card payments.  You'd probably be doing around four 6-hour shifts over the festival.  General conditions for WBC volunteers are excellent - good campsite with bar, showers, catering etc.  Loads of interesting people to make friends with.

I've moved on from bar work to something a lot more interesting, but I'd still say it was an excellent way of getting in.  So much so, that if I weren't able to get a volunteer role, I wouldn't bother going.  Money's no problem for me - the reason is simply that I enjoy festivals more with a little bit of structure to the day.  All too often, I find that my mates who've bought tickets aren't enjoying it anywhere near as much as I am as they're getting too messy and eventually getting tired and emotional within their little group.  If you're working, then you've suddenly got tens or hundreds of new people to work and play with, which feels a lot less claustrophobic than being stuck with a few mates.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

It used to just be the Workers Beer Company running the public bars at Glastonbury, but after they lost their monopoly several years ago, there are now at least 2 other companies running them.  You'll only get a WBC volunteer position via one of the campaigning groups affiliated to them.  Your best bet is to do a bit of Googling for something like 'WBC glastonbury volunteer team' to try and find groups with teams which you might be able to get on - e.g. your trade union at work.

I've lost track of who's running the other bars, but as Steve says above, Shelter provide the staff for some.

WBC bar work is pretty good, although it can get a bit manic/stressful depending on how well the bar you're on is managed.  If it's all going well, then it's easy production-line work - the beers are already poured and you're mainly just swapping pints for cash or card payments.  You'd probably be doing around four 6-hour shifts over the festival.  General conditions for WBC volunteers are excellent - good campsite with bar, showers, catering etc.  Loads of interesting people to make friends with.

I've moved on from bar work to something a lot more interesting, but I'd still say it was an excellent way of getting in.  So much so, that if I weren't able to get a volunteer role, I wouldn't bother going.  Money's no problem for me - the reason is simply that I enjoy festivals more with a little bit of structure to the day.  All too often, I find that my mates who've bought tickets aren't enjoying it anywhere near as much as I am as they're getting too messy and eventually getting tired and emotional within their little group.  If you're working, then you've suddenly got tens or hundreds of new people to work and play with, which feels a lot less claustrophobic than being stuck with a few mates.

As Mark says bar work is a way of getting in. I have moved on from working for Shelter to volunteer some where else.

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

When I said Shelter they sub contract you out so you are actually working for the Avalon Bars

My first thought about volunteering was Shelter. Would love to work the bar for them having been a good customer this year at the Glade bar!

Any idea when they start asking for recruits?

22 minutes ago, Gilb said:

My first thought about volunteering was Shelter. Would love to work the bar for them having been a good customer this year at the Glade bar!

Any idea when they start asking for recruits?

As @Mark E. Spliffstated. Plus try searching for and looking through this (last?) years volunteering and Shelter threads.

I did Shelter this year. Was the fourth time I have worked for them. Glad to be there, but I did find it very physically and mentally draining this time. Be aware that it can do this to you. My first time volunteering was similar. The middle two were amongst my best ever though. Swings and Roundabouts.

Got lucky in the sale this morning and hope they will still consider me for 2021.

2 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

As Mark says bar work is a way of getting in. I have moved on from working for Shelter to volunteer some where else.

How did you move on from Shelter if you don't mind me asking?

They're kind of always the first offer I get and it would seem foolish to not take it and risk other chances/applications not happening.