Tickets , Tips and Tricks

Crazyfool01

31 minutes ago, wweerr208 said:

Re: 4G is the speed of your link - nothing to do with the amount of times you're trying

What I meant was, does using 4G come under the same bracket as using WiFi and still use ip addresses etc in the same way? Or is it not as specific to Seetickets, so they can’t block you if you go over the 60pm refresh?

4 hours ago, lukethekid said:

What I meant was, does using 4G come under the same bracket as using WiFi and still use ip addresses etc in the same way? Or is it not as specific to Seetickets, so they can’t block you if you go over the 60pm refresh?

Yes.  Any method of Internet connection to See will use a communication protocol called TCP/IP, and the data will be seen by them as coming from an IP address. 

8 hours ago, parsonjack said:

That's prob because the iPhone had a cookie pointing to a different server than the Mac and was therefore not counted in the same cumulative hit total.   2 devices you'll prob get away with....but the likelihood of problems increases the more devices you use on same connection. 

Perfect - will leave my IPhone connected to the wifi then instead of chancing it with the ever unreliable 4G! 

Appreciate the in depth analysis on this subject, can remember reading through it last year and being just as worried about exceeding the limit as i am now!

11 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Yes

No

Prob not

Yes...they would be seen as different source IPs

The problem with your posts in the last couple of pages mate is that you're assuming that the connections are throttled by IP in some way. Just because multiple devices come from the same IP don't necessarily mean they will have the same treatment regarding refreshing. In fact I'd argue they probably won't! Imagine what it's like in larger buildings with multiple occupants sharing the same Internet, or people in an office all trying for tickets? There's no way there's only room for one of them purely because they're sharing the same IP.

I'd imagine it would be throttled by session. Which would mean multiple tabs on the same browser are useless but multiple (different) browsers aren't. Much in the same way as if you're logged into Facebook on Firefox, if you open a new tab, you'll still be logged in in the same session. But then if you open up Chrome and login, that would be a different session. Incognito would also count as a different session.

So I'd (personally) change your answers to 'Yes, multiple browsers could be worth it, Yes and Yes'.

I am a web developer, but of course I've only skim-read so if there is anything that has piped up suggesting I'm wrong I'll happily back down.

Edited by EamerRed

We've all been so good over the last month or so giving out advice pm improving your ticket chances but today I'm feeling ? Maybe it's time to promote using 5 devices or more on the same wifi/IP address, all auto-refeshing every 0.5sec. That may improve our own chances ?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lycra said:

We've all been so good over the last month or so giving out advice pm improving your ticket chances but today I'm feeling ? Maybe it's time to promote using 5 devices or more on the same wifi/IP address, all auto-refeshing every 0.5sec. That may improve our own chances ?

I would guess multiple internet connections would be good

The terror has come over me. Im planning to plead with my coworkers to get as many as possible to open the page on their smartphones on data. Im in Canada though and no one gets it, so the likelihood that I'll get more than 2 additional people helping is very slim. 

1 hour ago, EamerRed said:

I am a web developer, but of course I've only skim-read so if there is anything that has piped up suggesting I'm wrong I'll happily back down.

I'm a network engineer and I concur.

I'll use multiple public IPs regardless, but I would tend to agree that multiple browsers would be OK - but not multiple tabs sharing the same cookies, for example.

Edited by majormajormajor
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, nicknoxx said:

If you use an extension to auto refresh, how do you stop it refreshing once it gets past the first page?  (assuming you're momentarily diverted by one of the other browser/devices you're using)

Think once you’ve got through all a refresh will do is reload the current page and shouldn’t kick you back? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EamerRed said:

Current evidence (see back through the thread) suggests 'throttling' (which it isn't if I'm being pedantic) is device dependent. @parsonjack response is consistent with that view.

37 minutes ago, nicknoxx said:

If you use an extension to auto refresh, how do you stop it refreshing once it gets past the first page?  (assuming you're momentarily diverted by one of the other browser/devices you're using)

14 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Think once you’ve got through all a refresh will do is reload the current page and shouldn’t kick you back? 

Not the most tech-savvy myself and I always opt by doing it manually but also keen to know how the auto-refresh works?

Let's say you set your auto-refresh to the page - (glastonbury.seetickets.com) and that refreshes every few seconds

Once you hit the next page - (glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/extras) does the auto-refresh stop because it's a different page? Or will it continue to refresh because it's still on See's website? 

And surely once you get to the /content/extras page it will continue to refresh that page in which you can stop the auto-refresh and go about your business? 

4 minutes ago, pentura said:

Not the most tech-savvy myself and I always opt by doing it manually but also keen to know how the auto-refresh works?

Let's say you set your auto-refresh to the page - (glastonbury.seetickets.com) and that refreshes every few seconds

Once you hit the next page - (glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/extras) does the auto-refresh stop because it's a different page? Or will it continue to refresh because it's still on See's website? 

And surely once you get to the /content/extras page it will continue to refresh that page in which you can stop the auto-refresh and go about your business? 

Yeah ive never used a auto refresh app before, always stuck to manual refreshing, but this year i've ended up with two laptops so i'm going to give it a go!

I'm under the impression that the page of doom is a loading page which effectively means you are stuck in a loop. Once you get passed this page and break through to the other side, you have removed yourself from this loop and have landed on the magic page. Once on this said page a simple refresh will just re-open the same page and wont kick you back. The auto refresh doesn't stop automatically when you get through, but all you need to do is click 'stop' or whatever the option is. 

2 hours ago, EamerRed said:

The problem with your posts in the last couple of pages mate is that you're assuming that the connections are throttled by IP in some way. Just because multiple devices come from the same IP don't necessarily mean they will have the same treatment regarding refreshing.

You should read his posts more thoroughly perhaps?

He's not assuming it, he's tested it numerous times to see a variety of outcomes and then shared the results.

Feel free to perform your own tests and report back.

Edited by clarkete

8 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Yeah ive never used a auto refresh app before, always stuck to manual refreshing, but this year i've ended up with two laptops so i'm going to give it a go!

I'm under the impression that the page of doom is a loading page which effectively means you are stuck in a loop. Once you get passed this page and break through to the other side, you have removed yourself from this loop and have landed on the magic page. Once on this said page a simple refresh will just re-open the same page and wont kick you back. The auto refresh doesn't stop automatically when you get through, but all you need to do is click 'stop' or whatever the option is. 

Yeah I'm gonna give it a go myself this year. Might use it on a separate browser and have that running alongside the main one. I think our downfall in previous years was getting stuck on the loading page of doom and not even knowing. Thankfully we have that knowledge now so doing everything we can to prevent that from happening.

Just got some auto-refresh add-ons for Chrome and Firerfox and tested them out. The one on Chrome needs to be 'activated' per se on whatever tab you want. The one on Firefox is switched-on on the browser and applies to all tabs from what I can see. Interesting! 

Edited by pentura

54 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

I'm a network engineer and I concur.

I'll use multiple public IPs regardless, but I would tend to agree that multiple browsers would be OK - but not multiple tabs sharing the same cookies, for example.

The thing is, @parsonjack has tested this, as have I, and we both experienced the same thing... open up multiple browsers set them refreshing away and they will all turn to the busy page when you up the refresh rate above a certain level. Even a separate device on the same WiFi.

Agreed this doesn't make huge amounts of sense for those whose internet is NAT'd via one public IP. So there is probably something else going on here. Maybe some kind of fingerprinting or IP lookup table that can make a good guess as to whether this is a straight forward home internet connection or an institution/workplace of some kind. Without access we're not going to know. But the tests do show it happens. Of course, that's the result right now, they might move the goalposts when things are on sale. 

2 minutes ago, cerv said:

The thing is, @parsonjack has tested this, as have I, and we both experienced the same thing... open up multiple browsers set them refreshing away and they will all turn to the busy page when you up the refresh rate above a certain level. Even a separate device on the same WiFi.

Agreed this doesn't make huge amounts of sense for those whose internet is NAT'd via one public IP. So there is probably something else going on here. Maybe some kind of fingerprinting or IP lookup table that can make a good guess as to whether this is a straight forward home internet connection or an institution/workplace of some kind. Without access we're not going to know. But the tests do show it happens. Of course, that's the result right now, they might move the goalposts when things are on sale. 

I guess the rule of thumb is hedge as much as you can... I'll have a bunch of browsers refreshing away but running on different proxies with different public prefixes.

38 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Current evidence (see back through the thread) suggests 'throttling' (which it isn't if I'm being pedantic) is device dependent. @parsonjack response is consistent with that view.

Yep correct it's not throttling, I'm not sure what the exact term for it is but you get the gist. In my mind, parsonjack's write-up is inconsistent with that view - surely it's not device dependent but network dependent?

If it's IP restricted, then are we saying anyone who lives in a small block of flats, anyone who is sharing the same WiFi connection in some sort of campus and anyone working in a small office only has one 'real' chance of getting through? I'd be amazed if it's been set up like that purely because of that problem.

19 minutes ago, clarkete said:

You should read his posts more thoroughly perhaps?

He's not assuming it, he's tested it numerous times to see a variety of outcomes and then shared the results.

Feel free to perform your own tests and report back.

I'm not trying to cause a feud here, no need for the aggression. A network engineer above agrees with my logic. I've read parsonjack's test regarding the load balancer sending you to different servers, which is 100% exactly how it will be working at SeeTickets, but I'm not sure I agree on the conclusion. Great though the test is and is far more than I've done, and he/she clearly knows more than me! That doesn't mean I can't point out perceived flaws in the logic and if they can show me where I'm wrong then that's even better.

Another thing to throw into the mix is the fact that anecdotal evidence suggests those tethering from mobile networks have had more success. This goes against the logic that the more devices at a single IP address = less of a chance, as absolutely loads of people will be sharing the same IP in this scenario.

I'd say we all are 100% in agreement in multiple devices on as many different Internet connections as possible seems to be the safest route. I.e. laptop on home network + different laptop on work network + different laptop tethering from mobile, etc.

Fact is, none of us have a facking clue!

Edited by EamerRed

29 minutes ago, pentura said:

Yeah I'm gonna give it a go myself this year. Might use it on a separate browser and have that running alongside the main one. I think our downfall in previous years was getting stuck on the loading page of doom and not even knowing. Thankfully we have that knowledge now so doing everything we can to prevent that from happening.

Just going over this again to be absolutely sure..

- You get to this “dead” page by refreshing too quickly, right? So if you stick to under 60 refreshes per minute this shouldn’t happen?

- If you do end up on this page - although not sure how you would even know - you can sort the issue by closing down your browser and starting again?

Edited by DareToDibble

37 minutes ago, pentura said:

Just got some auto-refresh add-ons for Chrome and Firerfox and tested them out. The one on Chrome needs to be 'activated' per se on whatever tab you want. The one on Firefox is switched-on on the browser and applies to all tabs from what I can see. Interesting! 

what does the loading page of doom look like? Is it the page that says "site busy"?