William’s Green 2019

FloorFiller

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Friday: Black Midi, Yak, Amyl & the Sniffers, Sundara Karma, Bill Ryder-Jones, Sunflower Bean, Let's Eat Grandma

Saturday: Squid, Sports Team, Snapped Ankles, Fontaine's DC, Pip Blom, Shame

Sunday: Boy Azooga, Avi Buffalo, Jade Bird, BC Camplight

And those are just the ones I initially knew and liked - I've yet to properly delve in to the rest of the bands on their lineup, but I'm sure they're mostly varying degrees of good if the rest is to go by.

Although as a downside like has been pointed out, it's a shame some of the bands don't have second longer sets over the weekend. Great lineup but 40 minutes just ain't long enough.

I could spend pretty much all day Friday and Saturday in WG this year. Tremendous booking from them. 

15 hours ago, Homer said:

Thanks! Anyone seen Avi Buffalo? Really like the first album. Never seen before - but they overlap with Slaves.

I recently watched them (Him) at the Brudenell in Leeds back in Feb. Just touring solo these days and has some great songs, but much of the older stuff he plays is slightly reworked often with heavier guitar. Some of it was met with confused faces, when he began making what I could only describe as space noises like laser beams over a looped guitar riff. Reminded me of Ross on Friends playing his keyboard!

Well worth a watch, just go with an open mind and don't expect songs from the first album to be played how you remember them.

Yep, great lineup. Really like Williams Green as an area (especially on Thurs) so am glad to have a few visits planned.

Could easily see myself there for the full Haelos / Sunflower Bean / Let's Eat Grandma run, though may head to Comet is Coming for some variety.

Was expecting/hoping some acts, particularly Shame, would be earlier on JP, to avoid clashes. Now hoping for a secret set elsewhere... BBC Intro perhaps?

2 minutes ago, jacko160 said:

I recently watched them (Him) at the Brudenell in Leeds back in Feb. Just touring solo these days and has some great songs, but much of the older stuff he plays is slightly reworked often with heavier guitar. Some of it was met with confused faces, when he began making what I could only describe as space noises like laser beams over a looped guitar riff. Reminded me of Ross on Friends playing his keyboard!

Well worth a watch, just go with an open mind and don't expect songs from the first album to be played how you remember them.

Cheers, have just realised that WG isn't actually all that far from the Other, so will just miss the last 20 of Slaves (who I've seen a few times before - including in almost the same slot last time!) and get there for the beginning. I read before that he can be a bit 'awkward' - sacking band members and so on. Sounds like it will be interesting either way!

14 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Interesting how times change – William's Green is morphing into the John Peel of yore; John Peel is an amalgamation of Park, WH and Other, with occasional Silver Hayes acts like Annie Mac, Fatboy and Diplo topping it; Other seems to house big bands that used to walk on the Pyramid with ease; Park this year has a lot of acts you might have pegged for the WH.

Williams Green New Bands Tent

10 minutes ago, Homer said:

Cheers, have just realised that WG isn't actually all that far from the Other, so will just miss the last 20 of Slaves (who I've seen a few times before - including in almost the same slot last time!) and get there for the beginning. I read before that he can be a bit 'awkward' - sacking band members and so on. Sounds like it will be interesting either way!

Pretty sure his now ex-girlfriend was part of the original line up so guess going through a breakup with a band member would be awkward.

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah, they're good. Early XX, big trip-hoppy level bass and thick soundscapes. Will be a nice breakaway from the day's madness.

Another +1 for Haelos, saw them at EartH in Hackney not long ago and they were exceptional, they make a big sound live and will certainly be aiming to be there for their set. 

Edited by Brownie30
Missed link!
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Brownie30 said:

Another +1 for Haelos, saw them at EartH in Hackney not long ago and they were exceptional, they make a big sound live and will certainly be aiming to be there for their set. 

Right, these guys sound amazing! Annoyingly I was counting on seeing The Comet Is Coming when they're on. 

Fortunately they're playing in Leeds in October for a mere £12.

2 hours ago, AThirteen said:

Massaoke on the Thursday is always good fun too..

WG in general is usually the go-to for our group on a Thursday (there and the bar opposite that had a DJ playing some absolute bangers in 2017). If the not-so-secret-sets are decent then I could happily park myself there early doors for the Aretha film and pretty much stay there right through to Guilty Pleasures. Plenty of cheese in there of course, but feels totally apt for Thursday night giddiness. They certainly know their audience!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

My good mates Madonnatron are playing at like 2oclock on Saturday. They're new record is really good. Dead chuffed for them. 

Also I remember seeing Black Midi years ago at The Windmill playing with a band called Gentle Stranger (who are incredible btw) now they play all over the place and are opening up on Friday. Don't know em personally but they played the same venues that I play at regularly. These venues are great for nurturing small bands and watching them grow. Check out a live vid here:

I went and listened to a load of Madonnatron songs after seeing your post and being intrigued by the name and now I’ve added them to my list ?

10 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Boy Azooga are becoming a must see for me, preferably in WG as it's an early set (midday on Sunday). Really wish I'd found their album sooner. 

Guarantee that, as a Heavenly band, they'll be booked on the Crows' Nest too, so be ready for their lineup announcements each morning.

8 hours ago, zeppelin said:

Right, these guys sound amazing! Annoyingly I was counting on seeing The Comet Is Coming when they're on. 

Fortunately they're playing in Leeds in October for a mere £12. 

Definitely recommend that Leeds gig if you won't catch them at WG - asides from a 20 minute set at Latitude 3 years ago EartH was the first time I've seen them properly live (having enjoyed their two albums) and I was pretty blown away. 

6 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

There's loads on that I want to catch there, the Saturday is particularly strong: Sports Team, Fontaines DC, Starcrawler and Shame. 

I can see me having a very different festival to my group of mates this year. 

Add Squid and Snapped Ankles to that and you have one hell of a day. That WG Saturday is insane. A cracking lineup

24 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Add Squid and Snapped Ankles to that and you have one hell of a day. That WG Saturday is insane. A cracking lineup

And then you add She Drew the Gun, Low and Sharon van Etten on JP plus Mattiel, Sons of Kemet, and Kate Tempest on The Park and Saturday is just doing my head in.

1 hour ago, Losing my hair said:

And then you add She Drew the Gun, Low and Sharon van Etten on JP plus Mattiel, Sons of Kemet, and Kate Tempest on The Park and Saturday is just doing my head in.

What a day to be alive. The 'smaller' stages just bringing it this year. I really like the way they have spread the quality acts around the farm this year. Considering it was a fairly low key opening poster this year is turning out to be an absolute banger. Now where's my despatch email!