Leftfield Line Up

Avalon_Fields

6 hours ago, Olshansky said:

Life apparently conflicting with Idles - hoping Life shows up elsewhere too so I get to see them both

LIFE really deserve a listen, particularly if you need a dose of California punk (although they are from Hull). Hoping I can get to see them.

• Like 1

Unfortunately reckon Fontaines may end up in the same category as Idles for me where I just can't get into them. I quite like the instrumentals but the vocals just don't do it for me. Any recommendations for their stuff that is slightly more palatable?

19 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Unfortunately reckon Fontaines may end up in the same category as Idles for me where I just can't get into them. I quite like the instrumentals but the vocals just don't do it for me. Any recommendations for their stuff that is slightly more palatable?

Both bands are very politically charged. Is it the message you don't like or the tonality?

Just now, HalfAnIdiot said:

Both bands are very politically charged. Is it the message you don't like or the tonality?

The vocals mainly, they just seem so harsh and sound more like someone yelling than trying to be tuneful. I know if its just the style of singing is something I don't enjoy or if its something I don't understand. Honestly just feel like I'm missing out on the hype, everyone else seems to love them and always say they are great, feels like something I should be enjoying to, but don't :P

7 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

The vocals mainly, they just seem so harsh and sound more like someone yelling than trying to be tuneful. I know if its just the style of singing is something I don't enjoy or if its something I don't understand. Honestly just feel like I'm missing out on the hype, everyone else seems to love them and always say they are great, feels like something I should be enjoying to, but don't :P

I really didn’t like the vocals at first, I think it was the accent. After I heard Big I started to get into them though, it’s not really the melodies he’s singing but the rhythm, it’s very good.

8 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

I'm with you on the Idles. They just seem shouty to me. Was looking forward to checking out the Fontaines after everyone was raving about them on here but sounds like they won't be for me from what you say. 

As much as I can't get into Idles and struggle with the vocal, I really love what I've heard of Fontaines DC. Appreciate that probably makes no sense but I really love the vocal in FDC! Anyway I'm excited to see them. I'm guessing JP and WG as well then, or would one of the three stages be genuinely tiny? Who do we think their Leftfield performance will clash with? I'd like to see at least one band there (always quite fancy the debates but never make them).

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

As much as I can't get into Idles and struggle with the vocal, I really love what I've heard of Fontaines DC. Appreciate that probably makes no sense but I really love the vocal in FDC! Anyway I'm excited to see them. I'm guessing JP and WG as well then, or would one of the three stages be genuinely tiny? Who do we think their Leftfield performance will clash with? I'd like to see at least one band there (always quite fancy the debates but never make them).

Makes perfect sense to be. I really like Idles and Mik Artistik but not Sleaford Mods. I appreciate on a basic level there is a similar vocal style going on but I don't mind a shouty lyric but there is something in the timbre of Sleaford Mods that I just don't get on with and it can be as simple as that. 

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think Fontaines DC sound a lot more like Shame than IDLES. Maybe more like (dare I say it?) indie punk than post-punk. Although I think they did support IDLES on one of the legs of their recent tour. Either way, Im excited for both :)

JP and WG must be a good shout - surely? I've only ever visited the Leftfield tent briefly when Clive Lewis was chatting about something (probably Brexit) last year, but didn't stay long. That seemed like quite a small venue, relatively speaking. If they put bigger acts on smaller venues than that, are they usually secret?

I guess they'' be on around 6-7pm on Sunday. So I guess they would clash with the start of Roy Ayres, whoever is on after Kylie...maybe Billie Eilish? The Other Stage lineup seems bit unclear to me ATM

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Makes perfect sense to be. I really like Idles and Mik Artistik but not Sleaford Mods. I appreciate on a basic level there is a similar vocal style going on but I don't mind a shouty lyric but there is something in the timbre of Sleaford Mods that I just don't get on with and it can be as simple as that. 

Whereas I like Sleaford Mods but can't really get on board with Mik Artistik (heinous admission round these parts...)

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

I think Fontaines DC sound a lot more like Shame than IDLES. Maybe more like (dare I say it?) indie punk than post-punk. Although I think they did support IDLES on one of the legs of their recent tour. Either way, Im excited for both :)

JP and WG must be a good shout - surely? I've only ever visited the Leftfield tent briefly when Clive Lewis was chatting about something (probably Brexit) last year, but didn't stay long. That seemed like quite a small venue, relatively speaking. If they put bigger acts on smaller venues than that, are they usually secret?

I guess they'' be on around 6-7pm on Sunday. So I guess they would clash with the start of Roy Ayres, whoever is on after Kylie...maybe Billie Eilish? The Other Stage lineup seems bit unclear to me ATM

Ah that might work for me then... thanks! :)

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah that might work for me then... thanks! :)

Sunday seemed a bit limited of options for me until this last announcement - I reckon I'll go for Fontaines and stay for Algiers. Sounds ideal! However, I also think we have the least secure info about Sunday, and it seems like the most likely one to change when we get the full timings. If Placebo really are turning up for example, surely they have to be on Sunday

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Whereas I like Sleaford Mods but can't really get on board with Mik Artistik (heinous admission round these parts...)

There are 3 singers that I just want to turn off the moment I hear them. My husband has 2 that he can't stand. Can't even explain why. Mine are Sleaford Mods, Kylie Minogue and Robbie Williams. His are The Streets and Bob Dylan. I really like Bob Dylan. He accepts fully that Bob Dylan is great when other people sing his songs. I fully accept that Slaford Mods have a good message but if my husband wants to wind me up he just tells me that I have to sign for it!! That vocal goes through me!! 

9 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Leftfield always has the line up announced. I've seen a few random acts there and Cabbage and The Milk. Cabbage was pretty busy but as they are on later you find that naturally thins the crowd out as there is other good stuff on the bigger stages as well. Also, it wasn't the only slot they did over the weekend.