Leftfield Line Up

Avalon_Fields

Yeah should say that I've nothing against Idles and I don't hate them, appreciate the message etc. Just not for me musically/vocally and don't excite me.

Placebo are a funny one. I was a mega fan from the first album through to BMM (even wrote an obsessive fanzine about them) but then faded off after SWG. I'd love to see them for nostalgia value but they barely play any old stuff by the looks of it. They'd headline JP or sub Other surely?

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'd love to see them for nostalgia value but they barely play any old stuff by the looks of it. They'd headline JP or sub Other surely?

They don't play old stuff??? Oh :( 

But yeh, I thought either of those would make sense. Would have to be Sunday though (I think?) which would be a Cure clash. But then, sometimes weird clashes have to happen!

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Placebo are a funny one. I was a mega fan from the first album through to BMM (even wrote an obsessive fanzine about them) but then faded off after SWG. I'd love to see them for nostalgia value but they barely play any old stuff by the looks of it. They'd headline JP or sub Other surely?

Exactly the same boat, apart from the fanzine part. Although I did write a horrific piece of fan fiction and handed it in to my English teacher for an assignment in Year 9.... It was not well received....

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'd love to see them for nostalgia value but they barely play any old stuff by the looks of it. They'd headline JP or sub Other surely?

Even at festivals?? I understand artists not wanting to repeat old stuff forever at gigs when they have continued releasing new material but festivals are not your fans so you really should be playing the hits and slipping in some of your more upbeat new stuff if you want to get new fans.  

24 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Exactly the same boat, apart from the fanzine part. Although I did write a horrific piece of fan fiction and handed it in to my English teacher for an assignment in Year 9.... It was not well received....

Haha incredible. Do share... Also not a stranger to the murky world of fan fiction, but more through having mates that wrote it...

29 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

They don't play old stuff??? Oh :( 

But yeh, I thought either of those would make sense. Would have to be Sunday though (I think?) which would be a Cure clash. But then, sometimes weird clashes have to happen!

Recent setlist (although it was actually last July so who knows what they're doing now):

Screenshot_20190511-111115_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190511-111131_Chrome.jpg

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Haha incredible. Do share... Also not a stranger to the murky world of fan fiction, but more through having mates that wrote it...

Recent setlist (although it was actually last July so who knows what they're doing now):

Screenshot_20190511-111115_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190511-111131_Chrome.jpg

No Nancy Boy. Do they never do it or is it a case of it depends on if they are in the mood? I was never a huge fan but I recognise more than I thought I would from that setlist. One of those that if they played a bigger stage but lower down I might go and see but chances are later on there would be something else that would catch my attention more. 

To be honest I've not followed them closely for years, so I've no idea how much old stuff they normally play, but they don't seem to do a lot of festivals in the UK so it's hard to judge. I fully agree that a festival set should be more greatest hits focused (hi, The National) but not sure if Placebo would deliver that. The Manics nailed it in 2014 I thought, good balance of hits and new stuff (they're another example of a band I once loved obsessively but then lost touch with).

I'd love to see Placebo in theory, though, clashes permitting. Surely they'd wouldn't clash with The Cure given that Molko is a huge fan and even had Robert Smith on as a guest a couple of times. But you never know.

Anyway I'm aware we are derailing the Leftfield thread somewhat...

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

To be honest I've not followed them closely for years, so I've no idea how much old stuff they normally play, but they don't seem to do a lot of festivals in the UK so it's hard to judge. I fully agree that a festival set should be more greatest hits focused (hi, The National) but not sure if Placebo would deliver that. The Manics nailed it in 2014 I thought, good balance of hits and new stuff (they're another example of a band I once loved obsessively but then lost touch with).

I'd love to see Placebo in theory, though, clashes permitting. Surely they'd wouldn't clash with The Cure given that Molko is a huge fan and even had Robert Smith on as a guest a couple of times. But you never know.

Anyway I'm aware we are derailing the Leftfield thread somewhat...

True. Doubt they will clash with The Cure. To go back to the Leftfield line up. Dream Wife are fantastic. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1-OkjZZqHk

10 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

The vocals mainly, they just seem so harsh and sound more like someone yelling than trying to be tuneful. I know if its just the style of singing is something I don't enjoy or if its something I don't understand. Honestly just feel like I'm missing out on the hype, everyone else seems to love them and always say they are great, feels like something I should be enjoying to, but don't :P

They are harsh and yelling, that's all part of the presentation. Not everyone will enjoy the same sounds, if we did there would be a very limited range of music out there. Having said that some bands are 'growers' and seeing them live can make a big difference. For example, Sleaford Mods were of little interest to me until I saw them live, the energy of the band came across in spades and changed my whole perception.

Maybe drop in on them if you are nearby and see if you change your mind. If not move on, there's loads more to like.

Edited by HalfAnIdiot

16 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

They are harsh and yelling, that's all part of the presentation. Not everyone will enjoy the same sounds, if we did there would be a very limited range of music out there. Having said that some bands are 'growers' and seeing them live can make a big difference. For example, Sleaford Mods were of little interest to me until I saw them live, the energy of the band came across in spades and changed my whole perception.

Maybe drop in on them if you are nearby and see if you change your message mind. If not move on, there's loads more to like.

Yeah have to say I enjoyed Sleafords a lot more when I saw them live. They were awesome. At somewhere like Glastonbury though, where there are already loads of clashes, the chances of me dropping in on a set of someone I'm not arsed about just to see if I change my mind is slim. Especially if it's likely to be rammed anyway.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

My memory is very hazy, but it absolutely involved characters loosely based on me and my friends in a band (our name escapes me) supporting Placebo and the band Finch (Letters to you was a jam) on an American tour. The climax of the story involved a catastrophic malfunction with Brians guitar during one show, and the character I'd based on myself came on-stage and saved the day with an acoustic rendition of Every Me Every You.

I probably spent more time decorating the edges of the pages with cartoon pictures of Brian Molko and Billy Corgan (my other obsession at the time) than the actual story...

It earned me a D iirc...

1 hour ago, T-Mouse said:

My memory is very hazy, but it absolutely involved characters loosely based on me and my friends in a band (our name escapes me) supporting Placebo and the band Finch (Letters to you was a jam) on an American tour. The climax of the story involved a catastrophic malfunction with Brians guitar during one show, and the character I'd based on myself came on-stage and saved the day with an acoustic rendition of Every Me Every You.

I probably spent more time decorating the edges of the pages with cartoon pictures of Brian Molko and Billy Corgan (my other obsession at the time) than the actual story...

It earned me a D iirc...

Amazing stuff.