No longer 'allowed' to go

Chrisp1986

A couple of my mates didn't pay off the balance of their tickets as 'they're' pregnant. I can understand the girl not wanting to go whilst pregnant, but she's also put a stop to the bloke going without her, even though she's not due until October!

Edited by StLewi

27 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

@Woffy you went to glasto on wednesday and then back to work for a day on thursday? ? that must have been the strangest day at work ever!

Waking up on Saturday at 6am and attending a wedding somewhere in the Midlands at about 2pm was also pretty strange. Back onsite by about 10pm I fell asleep in a seat thingy by the Park for a bit.

Edited by Boris

1 minute ago, StLewi said:

A couple of my mates didn't pay off the balance of their tickets as 'they're' pregnant. I can understand the girl not wanting to go whilst pregnant, but she's also put a stop to the bloke going without her! 

Tbf, this is the only circumstance that I'd be a dick and stop my husband doing anything (if it was something I loved as much, if not more than him and I wasn't able to go). Of course, we'd also not be slack enough to get knocked up over the fest... 

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

@Woffy you went to glasto on wednesday and then back to work for a day on thursday? ? that must have been the strangest day at work ever!

Yeah it was completely bizarre. I did next to nothing. And i was dressed ready to leave straight from work. I think i still had my lanyard on as if to say, "yes i'm supposed to be at Glastonbury, don't even bother asking me to do anything".

2 minutes ago, gfest2009 said:

Tbf, this is the only circumstance that I'd be a dick and stop my husband doing anything (if it was something I loved as much, if not more than him and I wasn't able to go). Of course, we'd also not be slack enough to get knocked up over the fest... 

Christ we're slack! ?

2 minutes ago, gfest2009 said:

Yeah, fair point. She does love Glastonbury.

3 minutes ago, gfest2009 said:

Haha! Sorry: no offence intended ?. It's very easy for me to say as neither of us want kids.

None taken! Law of averages states that with a lot of kids at least one or two are gonna be born around the end of June. Also, you really don't want them all having a birthday in the same month; they'd each have to sell a kidney if they wanted any presents!

I had a similar situation this year - little one will be 11 weeks old at time of fest. My wife didn't feel entirely comfortable paying off the balance but I'm still going with friends, on the proviso she has a weekend away with her friends later in the year. 

I did have to compromise on going late Thursday but I can cope with that. 

2 hours ago, uscore said:

I couldn't go in 2015 as it clashed with my youngest's due date (my fault for not doing basic preganancy maths) although in the end he didn't arrive until 2 weeks later.

I tried not to complain about it too much, but I think I did enough moping around, glumly watching all the TV coverage all weekend, that she realised she'd not stop me from missing it again.   It was the first one I'd missed in 17 years.

In a way, it was quite interesting watching from home for the first time, being able to flick through the stages quickly on tv rather than trudging through sludge to get there.  And it is a bit much to take 6 days away from the family every year.  So I've suggested making this a regular break, and I'd stay at home with them all, and to see what it's like on tv,  once every 17 years.

I'm going this year... and my wife's due date (our first) is July 4th....

Big risk. I'm not drinking incase I need to leave early. She's starting to get worried now though (waited til I'd paid final balance to tell me how stressed it'll make her). Oh deya

4 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Sp the wife has now said I can no longer go when asked if we should try for coaches today. I have to use my annual leave for family time and not going there. She doesn't want to leave daughter for just 4 nights and now been told not going at all. Only get 5 weeks a/l per year and work 48 hours a week! Glastonbury is my only escape!

How old is your daughter?

3 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I'm going this year... and my wife's due date (our first) is July 4th....

Big risk. I'm not drinking incase I need to leave early. She's starting to get worried now though (waited til I'd paid final balance to tell me how stressed it'll make her). Oh deya

Mine was born on the 5th :)

We talked about me going.  But unfortunately our first was a month early, and it was a bit of a panic because of it, so I think that was a heavy influence in the decision.

Congratulations though. Welcome to a few years of no sleep.

4 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Sp the wife has now said I can no longer go when asked if we should try for coaches today. I have to use my annual leave for family time and not going there. She doesn't want to leave daughter for just 4 nights and now been told not going at all. Only get 5 weeks a/l per year and work 48 hours a week! Glastonbury is my only escape!

Having looked back on your other posts it would appear you have been trying to make a compromise with your wife for quite some time. Firstly you looked into taking the toddler, then not going until Friday and now not allowed to go at all. I can also see that this would be your 10th Glastonbury, however you don't say if your wife has been before? 

Surely she realises the importance of the festival to you?  You need to talk properly and reach a solution that enables you or the three of you to attend. Otherwise I have serious doubt your marriage will last due to underlying resentment on both sides.

Good luck and I hope you make it there! 

That sounds awful. Is it her who has changed her mind going? If so, I can't see how she can dictate what you do if she has just decided not to go, or agreed with you going before. That is her choice but your choice is to go. This is controlling behaviour, I am seeing a red flag. You need to go. Your partner needs to know this is not acceptable thing to dictate to you. Explain this too her nicely though! And yes, tell her to take time off with her friends too

4 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Having looked back on your other posts it would appear you have been trying to make a compromise with your wife for quite some time. Firstly you looked into taking the toddler, then not going until Friday and now not allowed to go at all. I can also see that this would be your 10th Glastonbury, however you don't say if your wife has been before? 

Surely she realises the importance of the festival to you?  You need to talk properly and reach a solution that enables you or the three of you to attend. Otherwise I have serious doubt your marriage will last due to underlying resentment on both sides.

Good luck and I hope you make it there! 

...call my Helpline 'My Wife Won't Let me Go To Glastonbury' on 0800-123-4567 (Calls cost 250p / min)

You should be an Agony Aunt, SC! A perfect 'Dr Mariella' response!

2 hours ago, StLewi said:

A couple of my mates didn't pay off the balance of their tickets as 'they're' pregnant. I can understand the girl not wanting to go whilst pregnant, but she's also put a stop to the bloke going without her, even though she's not due until October!

Did she ? Or was he really not into it and using the preganancy as a reason ? Or is it money related ? Surely noone would stop their OH going when the babies not due for another 4 months ....

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I told my wife about this thread.  She gave me a steady stare and reminded me how lucky I am.  Naturally, I concurred.

Yeah, my wife is a teacher, and so doesn't do Glastonbury, which I do as a volunteer.  To be fair, we're doing another three together over the summer, but still, she knows I love the place, and whilst she's envious and gives me a bit of stick (it's definitely a factor in June in the 'who's turn is it to do the washing up / mow the lawn / take the bins out' discussions as well), she'd never say I couldn't go.  

I'm also (though she'd never admit it) that she quite likes a few days break from me, and it does me good to have a few days wandering about on my own now and again.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, StLewi said:

I totally get this, me and MrBalls have an agreement when it comes to Glastonbury that either we both go or neither of us go!

OP says that that the plan was 'we' try for tickets, so she was meant to be coming too? And now it's all off? Regardless of the destination, I'd be concerned why my partner didn't want to spend a few days child-free with me having fun. :( That's a luxury to most folks I know with small kids.

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy